Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DRZ Thread  (Read 55216 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: The DRZ Thread
« Reply #1640 on: June 06, 2011, 08:31:39 pm »
Better than OEM. Lightly spoken famous last words. Jap OEM virtually unbeatable.
Runner, youi must add oil to those engines, then they'll make it past 60secs. :eek7:

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #1641 on: June 07, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
CASE SAVERS

I have bought some thermoplast sheeting from maizeys and will be making some case-savers for R250 a set. i am just making one or two extras because i may as well while i'm at it.
anyone keen for a set?
PM me
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:58:08 pm by MildDog »
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #1642 on: June 07, 2011, 03:18:57 pm »
CASE SAVERS

I have bought some thermoplast sheeting from maizeys and will be making some case-savers for R250 a set. i am just making one or two extras because i may as well while i'm at it.
anyone keen for a set?
PM me

Mmm that info is a bit vague. You'll need to specify which thermoplastic it is, the thickness and atleast give a photo of what it looks like. There is atleast a couple of dozen types of thermoplastics available with several different physical properties for each that would have a very differenct impact, flex and strength rating.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1643 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »
Mmm that info is a bit vague. You'll need to specify which thermoplastic it is, the thickness and atleast give a photo of what it looks like. There is atleast a couple of dozen types of thermoplastics available with several different physical properties for each that would have a very differenct impact, flex and strength rating.

??? I know *nothing* about thermplastics. I'll make up my set and then post pics. It's 3mm, black. It's the standard stuff they sell at maizey's in Paarden Eiland.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #1644 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »

??? I know *nothing* about thermplastics. I'll make up my set and then post pics. It's 3mm, black. It's the standard stuff they sell at maizey's in Paarden Eiland.
>.<

face palm moment immanent?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1645 on: June 07, 2011, 10:14:33 pm »
Ok, so I did *some* research. I bought perspex, acrylic sheets of perspex. I found this document. It talks about load strength and heat deformation and chemical deformation. Most of it is beyond me.

http://www.perspex.co.za/Uploads/TechnicalManual/46%27PERSPEX%27%20PROPERTIES.pdf

My plan is to make some and see what happens.

As long as it doesn't get to above 80c it'll be fine. I need to heat to somewhere between 145-165 to get it to deform nicely. It's about as scratch resistant as aluminum, and you need to use a 9H pencil to mark it.

I'll give this a read, it's on how to work with thermplastic:

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_technical_data_sheets/working_with_perspex_manual.pdf
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:20:29 pm by MildDog »

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #1646 on: June 07, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »
Ok, so I did *some* research. I bought perspex, acrylic sheets of perspex. I found this document. It talks about load strength and heat deformation and chemical deformation. Most of it is beyond me.

http://www.perspex.co.za/Uploads/TechnicalManual/46%27PERSPEX%27%20PROPERTIES.pdf

As long as it doesn't get to above 80c it'll be fine. I need to heat to somewhere between 145-165 to get it to deform nicely. It's about as scratch resistant as aluminum, and you need to use a 9H pencil to mark it.

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_technical_data_sheets/working_with_perspex_manual.pdf

Give the perpex a shot but I have a feeling it is not going to work, it shatters too easily. Might still protect your casing in a fall which is what it would be for right? If you can manage in some way to form Polystone HD300 or higher then you will have the perfect material. It is a high density polyethylene that is abrasion, acid and impact resistant. I have tried before with some 5mm Polystone but you need to heay it up pretty high in order to start shaping it. I could not get it without it distorting. I might have been too impatient. Not sure what the Hyde products are made of but if you have ever seen it, the polystone looks and feels very similar.

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1647 on: June 07, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »
Ok, so I am making some case savers using thermoplastic perspex sheets. 3mm think 30cm * 30 cm. I have no idea what I'm doing. Rolf pointed that out. i'll post on this thread as the project progresses. I have in mind a massive empire that makes perspex case savers for all the DRZ's in the world. My mother thinks I am making infant-sized bullet proof shields. I may just end up wasting time and and deforming thermoplastic sheeting. Time will tell...

:thumleft:

I did *some* research. I bought perspex, acrylic sheets of perspex. I found this document. It talks about load strength and heat deformation and chemical deformation. Most of it is beyond me.

So far all i know is 3mm sheets work in 30 minute cycles for annealling to occur, and I hope to sh*t i didn't buy extruded perspex. I'll phone Maizey tomorrow and inquire.

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1648 on: June 07, 2011, 11:23:55 pm »
Give the perpex a shot but I have a feeling it is not going to work, it shatters too easily. Might still protect your casing in a fall which is what it would be for right? If you can manage in some way to form Polystone HD300 or higher then you will have the perfect material. It is a high density polyethylene that is abrasion, acid and impact resistant. I have tried before with some 5mm Polystone but you need to heay it up pretty high in order to start shaping it. I could not get it without it distorting. I might have been too impatient. Not sure what the Hyde products are made of but if you have ever seen it, the polystone looks and feels very similar.

Who would sell Polystone HD300? And how hot does it have to get?

I've got the hyde bash plate, it is a much less brittle substance than these sheets of perspex. The main thing with the DRZ is that when the bike falls over the gear lever punches a hole into the engine casing, so quite a simple case-saver could be used, just something to disperse that energy across a wider area. I'd imagine a 5mm sheet would also be too thick? The 3mm perspex already seems thicker than I'd like. I've started a 'project thread' i'll post pics and stuff soon.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to form it yet. I think I'll heat to 170c then place onto the case (which will not be attached to the bike) and let it take shape using gravity, then leave it to cool to room temperature.

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
« Reply #1649 on: June 08, 2011, 12:11:21 am »

Who would sell Polystone HD300? And how hot does it have to get?

I've got the hyde bash plate, it is a much less brittle substance than these sheets of perspex. The main thing with the DRZ is that when the bike falls over the gear lever punches a hole into the engine casing, so quite a simple case-saver could be used, just something to disperse that energy across a wider area. I'd imagine a 5mm sheet would also be too thick? The 3mm perspex already seems thicker than I'd like. I've started a 'project thread' i'll post pics and stuff soon.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to form it yet. I think I'll heat to 170c then place onto the case (which will not be attached to the bike) and let it take shape using gravity, then leave it to cool to room temperature.

Yes 5mm is too thick. You can buy Polystone from Maizey but it is considerably more expensive than perspex. Give it a shot with the perspex and lets see how it looks  :thumleft:

Offline Hagar

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #1650 on: June 08, 2011, 07:08:31 am »
Will follow you progress, have been thinking along similar lines (though I didn't plan an empire), I considered using Kydex, the stuff used to make holsters.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #1651 on: June 08, 2011, 07:38:00 am »
...The main thing with the DRZ is that when the bike falls over the gear lever punches a hole into the engine casing, ...

Step away from your project, have a beer or a cup of coffee and then weld a plate onto the gearshift lever.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline GRIM

« Reply #1652 on: June 08, 2011, 09:07:12 am »
Google vacuum forming, It'll be just the thing for this.
PP or ABS will work perfectly.

Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1653 on: June 08, 2011, 02:27:21 pm »
TT case savers, alumunium is your best bet. Made my own, took ages but worked like a bomb.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~acclaim2/Mikes%20Motorcycle%20Page/TT%20Case%20L.JPG
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline g1_

« Reply #1654 on: June 08, 2011, 03:00:59 pm »
subscribed

Offline 1WayRay

• Pack Dog
  • Honda XR650L
« Reply #1655 on: June 08, 2011, 04:56:09 pm »
Howsit everyone, I have recently purchased a drz in order to find out what all the fun is about  :laughing4: :laughing4:

The bike however came with a missing plastic... the side plastic that covers the battery. I phoned the dealership to get one, but they dont have any in SA and will have to order.  ??? ???

Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket one in Gauteng ?
The search for the perfect Dualsport:
Yamaha FZR 1000, BMW XCountry, BMW XChallenge, KTM 300, Honda Transalp 650, Suzuki DRZ400

Yamaha XT660 Tenere (Current),  Honda XR650L (Current)

Offline MalcolmX

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #1656 on: June 08, 2011, 05:10:26 pm »
Milddog, are you going to transform your Z into a DAKAR bike because of all the mods you want to do??  :o
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:10:58 pm by Malcolm2T »

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1657 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:47 pm »
Howsit everyone, I have recently purchased a drz in order to find out what all the fun is about  :laughing4: :laughing4:

The bike however came with a missing plastic... the side plastic that covers the battery. I phoned the dealership to get one, but they dont have any in SA and will have to order.  ??? ???

Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket one in Gauteng ?

You can buy online from http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/4/index.shtml. Locally you will only get yellow and wait for stock. Maybe someone has a secondhand one to sell ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1658 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:50 pm »
You can buy online from http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/3/4/index.shtml. Locally you will only get yellow and wait for stock. Maybe someone has a secondhand one to sell ?

I think between n[]va and I we may have a spare one, but it's missing those metal clips on it, so not sure if that helps.

www.renz.co.za do have stock of plastics for DRZs as well. try them.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #1659 on: June 08, 2011, 08:56:54 pm »

I think between n[]va and I we may have a spare one, but it's missing those metal clips on it, so not sure if that helps.

www.renz.co.za do have stock of plastics for DRZs as well. try them.
Yea I need that one to seal up my air vents for D/S riding
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/