Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DRZ Thread  (Read 67808 times)

Offline Great White

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Re: The DRZ Thread
« Reply #1320 on: January 02, 2011, 01:42:06 pm »
As you all know I am the proud owner of the DRZ Sidetrack started. :thumleft:. I would like to get a rev counter for the bike and maybe a temp gauge. Any recommendations on gauges? I did a DeWildt run last week and had the temp light come on a few times, what is the protocol on this. And has anybody fitted a Mitas 130/80/18 E-07 on there bike yet?
Hi

That is not right something is wrong. That light should not come on ever. Not sure if I ever gave the fan to Malibu as it did not fit with the Acerbis (E tank). Make sure that the waterpump is still in good shape and the thermostat as well. You can test the thermostat in some boiling water to check operation.

Hi

It did not come with a fan, I will test the thermostat first. Thanks

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #1321 on: January 02, 2011, 04:02:01 pm »
As you all know I am the proud owner of the DRZ Sidetrack started. :thumleft:. I would like to get a rev counter for the bike and maybe a temp gauge. Any recommendations on gauges? I did a DeWildt run last week and had the temp light come on a few times, what is the protocol on this. And has anybody fitted a Mitas 130/80/18 E-07 on there bike yet?
Hi

That is not right something is wrong. That light should not come on ever. Not sure if I ever gave the fan to Malibu as it did not fit with the Acerbis (E tank). Make sure that the waterpump is still in good shape and the thermostat as well. You can test the thermostat in some boiling water to check operation.

Hi

It did not come with a fan, I will test the thermostat first. Thanks

Will have a look maybe I still have the fan but it will not fit the Acerbis tank. Worked with IMS and Clarke tanks.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #1322 on: January 03, 2011, 09:34:16 am »
I finally got the time to fit my IMS tank and the MRD pipe which also arrived last week from the states. Tank was a piece of pie , fits perfectly. The workmanship on the MRD pipe is really outstanding ( If I knew how to post a photo I would). Got this all finished on Friday and took it for a spin around the block  it is not that loud and you can definitely feel more power.

Yesterday I decided instead of vegetating in front of the TV watching boring cricket I would take the DRZ for a spin on some dirt in the Bapsfontein area as i had not really had the time to take the bike on dirt since I bought it in late October. I am really impressed with  the suspension , it is stock standard and you can gas it on a shitty dirt road full of bumps and ruts , it just flys over it. I am not exactly in the lightweight division weighing in at 105KG,s . As I was alone I had to tame the speed  after a while in case I bought a farm out there on my own I would be in big shit. I did just over 220 km,s buggering around and really enjoyed it . To be honest I enjoy riding on my own every now and again.

Stopped for fuel as I had been on reserve for some time and saw that the pipe had burnt the indicator Right off. That really pissed me off as I do not like those little tiny back indicators as no one actually sees them . Back to the drawing board. I am now on 400km,s I hope to do a dirt weekend trip in the next two weeks. That should take me to 1000km service. I will then do the 2nd stage Jet mod and have it Dyno tuned. This little bike is fun !
I am not here for a long time , I am here for a good time !

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS
Harley Fatboy ( yeah I Know !)

Offline mtbbiker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #1323 on: January 03, 2011, 10:30:54 am »
Hi

I am not sure if the E07 130/80/18 is available yet. I wanted to fitted one a while back, I fitted the E09 at the End (I really like the Tyre) A mate of mine have the 140/80 18 E07 on his KTM. I had a look at the weekend and I think it will fit on the DRZ - the 140 isn't as wide as one whould expect.
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #1324 on: January 03, 2011, 10:46:27 am »
So I am going to be parting up my DRZ SM and selling it off, any one after a motard setup?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #1325 on: January 07, 2011, 02:53:34 pm »
Hey Nova...

I might be interested in those tard wheels...

We must talk...

:biggrin:
Maak soos Dr Phil sÍ: "Hou op om 'n do0s te wees..."

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #1326 on: January 07, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
Hey Nova...

I might be interested in those tard wheels...

We must talk...

:biggrin:
Kewl stuff.

I am looking into a xt500 engine idea, will shout
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #1327 on: January 07, 2011, 04:46:25 pm »
So I am going to be parting up my DRZ SM and selling it off, any one after a motard setup?

Im interested in your handlebars/clamps, and levers~!

Offline MildDog

• Race Dog
« Reply #1328 on: January 11, 2011, 05:31:57 am »
Im interested in your handlebars/clamps, and levers~!

Get in line :) I have been asking for those since the bike broke. Like a circling vulture :deal:
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
« Reply #1329 on: January 12, 2011, 04:26:37 pm »
As mentioned in my last post my new MRD pipe burnt the left hand back indicator right off. I was forced to go to " Full Throttle" a store I hate with a passion and buy a set of small indicators. 500 bucks later I had a set of neat looking small led indicators .I moved them a little higher and they look okay but now when I put an indicator on the flash at three times the speed that they used to .Is this because the new back set are led and the front set and standard that causes this ?

There are only two wires so I doubt I wired them incorrectly. Any electrics whiz kids around with an answer ?

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Race Dog
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #1330 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »
I think that exact topic is covered on Thumpertalk in the DRZ FAQ section, go check it out...

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #1331 on: January 12, 2011, 04:29:29 pm »
As mentioned in my last post my new MRD pipe burnt the left hand back indicator right off. I was forced to go to " Full Throttle" a store I hate with a passion and buy a set of small indicators. 500 bucks later I had a set of neat looking small led indicators .I moved them a little higher and they look okay but now when I put an indicator on the flash at three times the speed that they used to .Is this because the new back set are led and the front set and standard that causes this ?

There are only two wires so I doubt I wired them incorrectly. Any electrics whiz kids around with an answer ?

Buy the inline resistors for the LED indicators from FT for R10 apiece.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
« Reply #1332 on: January 13, 2011, 09:02:47 am »
Thanks Rolf ,

I guess I am off to my favorite FT again. I really hate that place , they are doing you a huge favour if you ask them for anything, do not expect them to offer any assistance.

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
« Reply #1333 on: January 13, 2011, 01:59:48 pm »
Just been to Full throttle they do not have , tried two auto electrical companies and they asked how many ohms should the resistor be.

I will try and find the answer on thumpertalk but if anyone has done this before and knows what size is required I would be grateful.

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #1334 on: January 13, 2011, 03:14:46 pm »
Just been to Full throttle they do not have , tried two auto electrical companies and they asked how many ohms should the resistor be.

I will try and find the answer on thumpertalk but if anyone has done this before and knows what size is required I would be grateful.

Where in Gauteng are you? I think I still have two at home that I used with LED indicators at some time. If you still have them you are welcome to them.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
« Reply #1335 on: January 14, 2011, 12:46:43 pm »
Rolf ,

That is very kind of you. I live in Edenvale , but I can collect when it is convenient for you. Where do you stay ?

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS

Offline Gawel

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #1336 on: January 16, 2011, 06:54:42 am »
The Carrier

Laminated Aly with fibre PCB and ss rivets

The Tools

The Beer

The Bags

The Fuel

The Whole Trip

Offline grego

« Reply #1337 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:49 am »
very nice!  :thumleft:
did you have the bags and stuff made?
show some more pics of the fuel storage and inside the beer box.

Offline blainec

• Race Dog
« Reply #1338 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27:06 am »
Gawel , that is a very neat job , well done. I see by all the effort you have made that you obviously intend to do some long trips. Have you changed sprockets ?

My DRZ is new with less than 500 k's on and i find that on tar at around 120 the revs are pretty high although you can twist its ear some more and get 150 on the clock.

I am not happy with the high revs over a long period which is why with standard sprockets I am reluctant to do a long trip on the bike.

What set up are you running. To the rest of the DRZ boffs what would be a reasonable compromise ? not too much mid range power loss but lower rpm at higher cruising speed  120 /130 km/h.

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS

Offline Bus

• 'Tsek!!!
  • Race Dog
  • Fokken Main Moegoe
« Reply #1339 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:41 pm »
Depends on what gearing you are running now. 15-43 or even 15-42 should be good for longer stretches.