Liaisons Dangereuses (Video Added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxy

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
This story features in the Dirt & Trail Magazine as well, you can read it on www.motomedia.co.za in the August issue. I'll be sharing here with even more photographs:

Dirt-Trail-Aug.jpg

Around about four years ago I was captivated by a ride report from fellow adventurer, Skinny van Schalkwyk titled “Two Jills and a Jack!”. On their trip up north to visit Crooks Corner in Limpopo (a place where SA, Zimbabwe and Mozambique meet), they ventured onto a very remote pass in no man’s land. The pass is ridiculously steep, with loose rocks making the ascent extremely challenging. In short, they had to stop, pick up bikes, and struggled for traction going up the challenging climbs on their loaded dualsport bikes. With sweltering 40+ degree heat and little water left in their backpacks, Skinny and Jolandi made the decision to turn their bikes around, the risk too great to continue. They have since not had a chance to visit the area again. The name of this formidable road, Jack’s Pass.

Jacks-Pass.png

Back to the present. It’s the middle of the COVID 19 pandemic. Gauteng, my home province has just been declared the new Corona virus hotspot. I am sitting in my office doing the usual administrative slog when an email pops into the inbox. A new job in Louis Trichardt, an area we do not often get to visit. My head immediately goes into hyper drive thinking of all kinds of possibilities. I discuss the spur of the moment plan with my partner Johan, whose role is to be the voice of reason in this relationship. It is agreed that due to the long distance we have to travel for our work we’ll need to stay over somewhere regardless, so why not combine our business trip with a story for the magazine? It is all classified as essential work after all.

22/01/2021 Video Added

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLRSSDML1Y[/youtube]