Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Riding out with my son  (Read 273 times)

Offline MRK Miller

Riding out with my son
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:27:26 am »
My eldest son Rikus by now is a pretty good bike ride, actually better than his master Kiefo (me) who tough him most of what he knows. The rest he picked up himself as time went by. Super proud of him
So now my attention shifted to his younger brother Eben, who starting riding a 125cc pit bike of which the chassis was modified to lower the bike so that his feet could touch the ground.
Now after eating all his veggies, and had grown a pretty bit, it was time to move over to the bigger pit bike. The other one was sold as we do not expect any more siblings. A 14' rear wheel was also bought and fixed, although not 100% but 99.57%. The rear shock was also rebuild as there was no oil or seals in there, and it was making a banging sound on the way back up. The rings which were to small and cause the bike to look like a vape at full blast were also replaced. By now the bike was no more a 125 cc but something a bit bigger. Eben started riding in the yard as he had not been on a bike for a while. Soon after he moved up the road to te park where his confidence grew by the day and soon he was doing time trails around the park. It was decided we needed to take him to a track as he was getting slightly big headed about his riding abilities. At the track (vark fontein) everything slowed down as now there were obsticals, and he was taking it really easy, going around the track. Head back to size it was back to the park for some balance training at a very slow pace. Soon it was time trails again, so the weekend i decided to take him out for a ride, Springs to Endicott, wear he could say hi to his grandma. The going was slow in the beginning with lots of feet out, over the ruts, stones and railway track. After he successfully covered the  first climb up the dam wall the pace picked up slightly. We got some sand, and more rocks on the way, all with the feet out. Stopped at endicott for a cool drink, then headed back, another way with some more heaps and climbs, and he did not back down to any of them. He also did not make all of them but that did not put him off. Also the feet were coming of the pegs a lot less, and the pace was picking up slightly being that this was now familiar territory. We stopped at Grutte for a cool drink, but they were closed. So it was of back home. At Zinkor dam which is now very well known territory he gave it some nice gas, and i could see from behind the little bike looking for place to grip, as he went through the corners. All in all a awesome day out and i am super proud of what Eben achieved on this day. From here on it can only get better
I would rather fall a thousand times, and keep riding, than to stop riding and never fall

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Riding out with my son
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:43:35 am »
That looks awesome. What age are they?

Its time for my son to upgrade also, looks like I should also start searching for a pitbike. I actually forgot about them.
Any tips on where to buy safety gear?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:22 am »
Well done Sir - your boys will remember this when you are old & grey - great job!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 11:47:24 am »

Its time for my son to upgrade also, looks like I should also start searching for a pitbike. I actually forgot about them.

Nicks Cycles here in Boksburg has a range of 2nd hand kit for the next generation - maybe call/email them and see what they have?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

The following users thanked this post: MRK Miller

Offline benreaper

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:21:41 pm »
Lekker man! If he's a Eben I can relate to having the size of your head needing some adjustment every now and then....

Like ClimbingTurtle said, spending time like this with your kids will stay in their memories forever and will see you end up in a good retirement home.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline Serf

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 02:51:34 pm »
So nice and a privelege to have your sons riding with you. Mine, now almost 16, has sympathy for my riding ability (i won't say he is laughing at me but he is surely giggling). With him riding competatively it is stressful and from time to time i regret exposing him to bikes. But riding made him the the type of person he is - mature, independent and level headed.

Enjoy it! :thumleft:

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 06:02:12 pm »
Not only will your sons treasure these memories, but so will you. My fondest riding memories are with my sons. It is always a privilege! Thanks for sharing :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline MRK Miller

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 03:18:12 am »

He is 12 now, but i started them him at 8 i think it was. That is why i had to modify the other pit bike, on the chassis to get it lower. That bike is now in Swaziland with a friend of mine who is teaching his kids and wife to ride. this frame is just very heavy, but i have a lighter big boy pit bike frame. soon as i can get the plastics which include the seat i will transfer everything to the lighter frame
I would rather fall a thousand times, and keep riding, than to stop riding and never fall

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 04:08:18 am »
Absolutely.  Some of my fondest childhood memories are of Pops and I riding our YZ's.

Yuda man.
Defund the Media
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 06:16:44 am »
Well done Sir - your boys will remember this when you are old & grey - great job!!
I agree with this, I am at the grey stage and have a great relationship with all my kids and a lot is due to those bike and 4x4 rides to and on the beach!
Well done to both of you :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500