Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: R1250GS perfect, BoosterPlug?  (Read 422 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
R1250GS perfect, BoosterPlug?
« on: August 07, 2020, 06:03:31 pm »
When BMW introduced the new 1250 ShiftCam motor they said that it would have more torque lowdown, making it almost perfect. or is it? Does it need a BoosterPlug?

Jens from BoosterPlug says:
"Feedback on the BoosterPlug for the shift cam boxers are as good as ever. It is true that low speed torque is excellent, but the choppy on/off like throttle action that comes with the lean air/fuel ratio is the same, so the new boxers still need the slightly richer mixture to perform the best they can."

Along comes Andre, who has done some crazy stuff on his 1250. Before doing this, he had the chance to put his bike on a dyno and compare the standard R1250GS to a ShiftCam with  BoosterPlug.
Compare the standard bike Red line to the BoosterPlug bike Blue line.

BoosterPlug makes a good 6HP difference throughout the rpm range, and Torque is also up through most of the rev range.

But this is not the full picture:

"This is clearly an acceleration curve, and as long as you keep moving the RPM’s, the ECU will stay in open loop and keep the BoosterPlug active.

If the acceleration had been slower, the ECU would stay long enough in each cell on the fuel map to shift to closed loop and the BoosterPlug power increase would be smaller with higher RPM. Again, the problem is that the Dyno chart does not necessarily show the full truth because you can not see how fast the acceleration is, so in reality, you can often prove what you want to prove.

But there is no doubt that the lean running engines will benefit from the BoosterPlug during brisk acceleration, so the chart doesn’t lie"

The real benefit is that BoosterPlug improves rideability at low rpm and part throttle openings, making the choppy on/off throttle much easier, and the bike a pleasure to ride, which is why many guys fit them. Which makes BoosterPlug most probably the most affordable performance improvement you can make on your bike☺
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:05:48 pm by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Far@way

Re: R1250GS perfect, BoosterPlug?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 05:08:50 pm »
Hi, I had one of these on my older aircooled GSA.
Now I have a 2015 LC.
But I notice it does "ping" a lot, even if I try different octane petrol.
Will this help for this?
No worries...

Offline BLK

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 05:12:47 pm »
I haven't noticed my 1250gs having a choppy low down character?

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 06:32:27 am »
Now I have a 2015 LC.
Will this help for this?

Your bike most likely needs the cams adjusted.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

The following users thanked this post: Far@way

Offline jangys

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 06:57:16 am »
I have a 1250 GSA HP. Is this booster plug supported by BMW? Will it void any warranties if fitted and something goes wrong?

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:46:08 am »
I have a 1250 GSA HP. Is this booster plug supported by BMW? Will it void any warranties if fitted and something goes wrong?
Hallo Jangys
Daar is 1000e  BMWs wat met BoosterPlugs loop. BMW in die Kaap is bewus van BoosterPlug en het al op hul fietse geinstalleer. BoosterPlug vee nie die standaard fuel map af soos bv Power Commander nie. Al wat dit doen is om die sein wat een van die sensors - in die geval die Air Intake Temperature Sensor - na die ECU stuur te verander om 6% meer petrol by te voeg wanneer jy dit die nodigste het - die eerste 3 sekondes nadat daar 'n verandering in TPS (throttle position sensor - op en af) of rpm (op en af) is. Dit laat onder andere die enjin bietjie koeler loop, wat goed is vir vandag se enjins wat verskriklik warm loop. Na 3s as die Lambda sensor in closed loop begin werk is BoosterPlug dormant, totdat daar weer 'n verandering in TPS of rpm is.

BoosterPlug aktiveer nie die waarskuwingsliggie dat daar fout of geraak is aan die mengsel nie. Dit is die veiligste verandering wat jy aan jou fiets se EFI kan maak om die 1250 nog meer rybaar te maak.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Far@way

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 03:00:51 pm »
Now I have a 2015 LC.
Will this help for this?

Your bike most likely needs the cams adjusted.

It makes sense, thanks.
I have heard of this before and did some research and know you need a special tool if you want to do it yourself?
Maybe I need the experts to work on this one?
No worries...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 04:38:11 pm »
Now I have a 2015 LC.
Will this help for this?

BoosterPlug will make your bike run a bit cooler. It will not fix obvious faults, but here are feedback from riders:

I must admit I was a bit dubious about the Booster Plug but have been pleasantly surprised by its performance. It has totally stopped the lean pinging I have been ...

I finally got the guts to try a short ride on the K bike out after booster plug installation. ... It has totally stopped the lean pinging I have been experiencing

Anyone used the "Booster Plug on 04 1150 RT? ... I installed one on a customers bike that had a history of pinging problems and he is smitten ...

The cold start fueling is already pretty rich so the Booster Plug will only ... but the bike would ping way to easy prior to the Booster Plug install.

The following users thanked this post: Far@way

Offline Far@way

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 05:29:42 pm »
Now I have a 2015 LC.
Will this help for this?

BoosterPlug will make your bike run a bit cooler. It will not fix obvious faults, but here are feedback from riders:

I must admit I was a bit dubious about the Booster Plug but have been pleasantly surprised by its performance. It has totally stopped the lean pinging I have been ...

I finally got the guts to try a short ride on the K bike out after booster plug installation. ... It has totally stopped the lean pinging I have been experiencing

Anyone used the "Booster Plug on 04 1150 RT? ... I installed one on a customers bike that had a history of pinging problems and he is smitten ...

The cold start fueling is already pretty rich so the Booster Plug will only ... but the bike would ping way to easy prior to the Booster Plug install.

Thanks for the feedback.
What is the price for a 2015 R1200 GSA?
No worries...

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 10:02:08 am »
PM sent. With the Xrate it will most probably go up in the near future.