Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fuel Pump Failure warning  (Read 220 times)

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Bike: KTM 1050 Adventure
Fuel Pump Failure warning
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:08:04 am »
So the weekend no problem with the bike. This morning when I wanted to start the bike I got a "fuel pump failure" warning. I can hear the pump is not pumping as it should. I check the connectors, disconnected the battery, but the warning remains and the bike won't start. Could it just be a dirty filter, or should I go and buy a tube of KY jelly? :xxbah:

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
Re: Fuel Pump Failure warning
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:13:31 am »
Could be a filter for sure.

It's not THAT bad to check and change the filter, if you've taken the tank off before you're like 80% of the way there.

The following users thanked this post: Edgar

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:42:52 am »

It's not THAT bad to check and change the filter, if you've taken the tank off before you're like 80% of the way there.

Do I have to take the tank off? Can I just remove the fuel pump assembly and buy a new filter kit at KTM?

Offline Roadhawg

• Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:49:01 am »

Do I have to take the tank off? Can I just remove the fuel pump assembly and buy a new filter kit at KTM?

You might be able to, To be honest I havent done it on a 1X90 but I did it on a 990 SMT which has the same sort of setup really.

You can see where the whole assembly pulls out of the bottom of the tank. Take a look and see if there's anything in the way of it being removed.  You will need to drain that side of the tank at least to make it less messy.

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 10:55:35 am »
Thanks I will check. I recon if the crashbars are not in the way I should be able to unscrew and remove the pump that sits on the left tank  :thumleft:

Offline Pheiffer.M

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 11:35:05 am »
I removed the fuelpump with ease without removing the crashbars.  Probably just dirty, mine does that when I drive very hard and want to start it again after a quick stop.  Til this day I couldn't find the problem. Still happens often

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 11:38:44 am »
@TriBaldy and I removed and serviced the pump on his 1290 recently. A bit fiddly but easily done with the tank in place.
Don't forget to close the two silver fuel taps before removing the pipes, and keep careful track of all the O-rings as you go. Poor Tribaldy sat with a dead bike for a while because we got the o-rings wrong.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 12:42:40 pm »

No need to remove the tank. The fuel pump and filter is situated on the lowest end of the left hand side of the tank. 4 bolts, disconnection of the fuel line and electrical wires and bob is your uncle. There is a video to do this on the web. It really is very easy. If you lay the bike down on it`s RH side then you don`t need to empty the tank.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:43:56 pm by OFFROAD FANATICS »
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 12:54:05 pm »
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it. On my list of to-do things for the week. Going to check with KTM for a new filter kit today.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 02:41:17 pm »
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it. On my list of to-do things for the week. Going to check with KTM for a new filter kit today.
@Edgar
got it sorted yet?

Consider fitting a Guglatech filter at the tank inlet - Pretoria fuel seems to be dirty at many garages

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 02:56:25 pm »
@Edgar
got it sorted yet?

Consider fitting a Guglatech filter at the tank inlet - Pretoria fuel seems to be dirty at many garages

Jip, was not the fuel pump. Ground wire on the harness that shorted. 4 hours labour at KTM to locate the problem ::)

The following users thanked this post: Bundu