Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kruger fence run  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Xpat

Re: Kruger fence run
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2020, 07:23:00 pm »
And some more:

On N1 I had to save BMW who I'm guessing ventured out of the reach of BMW Assist - one of those types who believe that if they have tubeless tyres, they don't need to carry any tool. Anyway - with the combination of tubeless fix kit from another dude on Honda Paneuropean, and my compressor and flat fixing skills, we sorted the dude out.

That's it - was a good trip and I will definitely be back to explore Venda properly.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:24:57 pm by Xpat »

Offline Xpat

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2020, 07:33:26 pm »
I would love your tracks too please if you dont mind. Very unlikely I will be up there any time soon but will be a nice to have if by chance one day I am.

PM me your email and I will send it to you. The track is too big to be attached here.

Offline Xpat

Re: Miombo
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2020, 07:36:58 pm »
That Southern African bush is something else. Looks just like where I was in Zambia... dry this time of year, not a chance of rain, not a cloud in the sky all day long... and windy. I can smell it! But again, Xpat, why the hell didn't you just take the 500? You could have been drifting all those corners, launching over all those rocks! Maybe you did with the big KTM, but not with the same big grin!

Fak. Got home from my long ride less than a week ago and I'm already gagging to be back out there again! What an addiction!

:snorting:

This wasn't 500 territory - too easy for that as proven by the fact that I have managed it on 990 hippo. 690 would have been the most appropriate, but it being not that long trip I opted for heavier 990 to get more exercise. And that 990 (with properly set-up suspension) indeed is deceiptively capable even in the hands of bimbo like me. But yes, since day 3 my internal battery usually run out in the early afternoon.

But if I'm going to do proper bush in Bots 500 it is (I did 3 days on 690 just before lockdown, and was knackered as well)>

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2020, 10:40:27 pm »
The red sand photos above is it part of the Kruger Fence track ? Looks almost like some places in the Kalahari
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2020, 07:49:55 am »
Great report, thanks  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Xpat

Offline Xpat

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2020, 02:47:29 pm »
The red sand photos above is it part of the Kruger Fence track ? Looks almost like some places in the Kalahari

No, it is Venda land between Popallin ranch and Louis Trichardt. Yes there are sections reminding Kalahari, but quite a few of these sand tracks are surprisingly on top of significant mountain range, which I haven't seen in Kalahari yet.

Offline growweblaar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2020, 09:49:28 am »
Generally, what was your reception like from the local population along the route?  :)

Offline Xpat

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2020, 01:39:12 pm »
Generally, what was your reception like from the local population along the route?  :)

People were perfectly fine - going about their daily life, friendly and inquisitive. As I fully expect them to be based on my 100s k km riding through Africa.

From your question I sense you think they could behave differently. Why woul you think so?

Offline growweblaar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:38 am »

People were perfectly fine - going about their daily life, friendly and inquisitive. As I fully expect them to be based on my 100s k km riding through Africa.

From your question I sense you think they could behave differently. Why woul you think so?

My experience has been mostly good, which is another reason to love DS biking. There are some areas that have not been great, but I suspect it was due to the behaviour of bikers/tourists in the past (e.g. Lesotho). Glad to hear your experience was good in that area  :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2020, 10:59:23 am »
Would you mind looking at the tracks I plotted for the TSAT from Musina past Kruger ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Noneking

Kruger fence run
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2020, 11:02:22 am »

Probably because a certain member reckons you need to ride with firearm and risk being beheaded by “savages” when adv riding in SA.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:01:44 pm by Noneking »
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Xpat

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2020, 11:26:58 am »
Would you mind looking at the tracks I plotted for the TSAT from Musina past Kruger ?

I don't mind, I had a look some time ago, but I'm not sure they overlap much as I was going east -west and your tracks north-south.

What you want me to comment on - how technical I think they are?

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:47 am »

I don't mind, I had a look some time ago, but I'm not sure they overlap much as I was going east -west and your tracks north-south.

Besides Kruger fence which I have not ridden I don't think they will be technical at all but the idea is rather to have scenic roads which most skill levels can enjoy. Thing is from Musina to Burgersfort area south of Orrie I'm not sure if the route is all doable as I combined some tracks I have and other came from GE. So maybe if you have ridden some of them before and can confirm or have a better suggestion that would be great.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:38:58 am by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Xpat

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2020, 11:38:40 am »

Besides Kruger fence which I have not ridden I don't think they will be technical at all but the idea is rather to have scenic roads which most skill levels can enjoy. Thing is from Musina to Burgersfort area south of Orrie I'm not sure if the route is all doable as I combined some tracks I have and other came from GE.

OK, I will have a look in the evening. This scenic designation is not my cup of tea - I would rather send the to do round trip of Penge and Wolkberg, or at least send them down Orrie Baragwanath (which by the way you can do no problem - I think you said somewhere that you can't) but I did ride through Burgersfort few times, so maybe I can provide some kind of insight.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2020, 11:41:54 am »

Besides Kruger fence which I have not ridden I don't think they will be technical at all but the idea is rather to have scenic roads which most skill levels can enjoy. Thing is from Musina to Burgersfort area south of Orrie I'm not sure if the route is all doable as I combined some tracks I have and other came from GE.

OK, I will have a look in the evening. This scenic designation is not my cup of tea - I would rather send the to do round trip of Penge and Wolkberg, or at least send them down Orrie Baragwanath (which by the way you can do no problem - I think you said somewhere that you can't) but I did ride through Burgersfort few times, so maybe I can provide some kind of insight.
Orrie we could never do North to South, always stopped at the boom gate and not allowed through but coming from the southern side you just sign a form at the top of the pass and off you go through the boom at the other side  :o Maybe that has changed now ? Orrie is on the existing route for now.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 11:42:42 am by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Xpat

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2020, 11:44:48 am »

Orrie we could never do North to South, always stopped at the boom gate and not allowed through but coming from the southern side you just sign a form at the top of the pass and off you go through the boom at the other side  :o Maybe that has changed now ? Orrie is on the existing route for now.

I've done it at least three times. The thing is - you need to go through main gate in the east and get permit of course. So if you came from Penge, you didn't have permit and that is why they wouldn't let you go through. But if you get to the gate from Penge (extremely scenic section in old forrest), get permit and then get back up (or if you are coming from east just go through the gate and get permit), you can ride down OB no problem

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2020, 11:48:21 am »

I've done it at least three times. The thing is - you need to go through main gate in the east and get permit of course. So if you came from Penge, you didn't have permit and that is why they wouldn't let you go through. But if you get to the gate from Penge (extremely scenic section in old forrest), get permit and then get back up (or if you are coming from east just go through the gate and get permit), you can ride down OB no problem
Yes will need to investigate this have not been there for quite some time, I don't think Penge is 100% legal to ride through although never had any issues also no locked gates, fences etc. Would prefer not to send a lot of people through there and it can get rough but like you said very scenic. Mafefe has some nice views and idea would be to ride through there after Orrie. The east gate for Orrie you are talking about is the attached one ? Idea was to approach it from the R36 main road but could never get access before, if this is not the case now then great.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:07:42 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2020, 02:25:09 pm »
Sad I missed the few days! Nice report. Definitely want to ride up north for a bit of exploration.
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 03:41:10 pm »
thanks Xpat, really enjoyed this, as usual   :ricky:
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2020, 01:02:09 pm »
Thanks Martin for the effort, if you are ok i will PM you my email address as i would love a copy of your tracks, especially the actual ridden ones.  I will forward you a beer token or two as a reward!
950SE     KTM 500 EXC      KTM250 XCW