Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DR650 thread  (Read 130017 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: The DR650 thread
« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2009, 02:23:52 pm »

I will keep an eye out for you :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2009, 02:34:31 pm »

I will keep an eye out for you :thumleft:

Cool, really like the blue (like yours) and earlier white / yellow models.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »
Loxton had one with just 900ks on the clock, going for 47K. Had a top box too. It's no longer listed in junkmail, from what I can see. But it may still be available at their showroom. May be worth a call.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:42:15 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Ganjora

« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2009, 07:39:36 pm »
Never bothered with performance mods on my DR's. If I want a performance bike I buy a KTM. I would not sacrifice the DR's legendary reliability and longevity for the thrill of a few extra hp. Seen too many modded & perished DRZ's recently :o

Fair enough. You're the pro, Lecap. What you say on these matters is taken very seriously. Kykdaar and Horse agree. Seems like I'm in the minority here  :peepwall:

Jenks,  i'd be very keen to hear how much you can get the pumper landed for,  also 39 or 40???   maybe a mini group buy...

so far,  my sazook:
ground out header pipe
pilot screw adjusted out
slide drilled - see pic
needle jet clip moved (cannot remember up or down,  but the settings are on TT)
AirAge pipe (from Kykdaar - my bike is starting to look suspiciously like his...)
airbox snorkel pulled

next service i'm clipping 3 coils off the needle jet spring (ala TT)

bike performs very well indeed.   nice and snappy throttle response.   front lifts very easily.   apparently the 3 coils of spring make it even more snappy - even less work for the slide to do...   got just shy of 13k on the clock.

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2009, 08:57:00 pm »
So I've been posting on Advrider mostly, but thought I might here what you guys think. Bought this DR650 from Crossed-up, great bike with lots of memories (weathered but I like it that way, I know the story behind the small dent in the tank). So please, no fault onto Crossed-Up, this is something I caused cause it was running before the starter issue.

Anyway, the starter sounded like a moose being skinned. So, last weekend I or so I strip out the starter in the following procedure.

1 - loosen clutch bracket retaining bolts
2 - Loosen starter retaining bolts
3 - Disconnect CDI
4 - Disconnect started wire
5 - Wiggle it about and see I have to remove the solid bit of pipe for the oil (only the two bolts and pipe bends as flex point)
6 - Wiggle it about but still no joy, so remove the cam chain tensioner
7 - Take out starter and strip, clean, grease what I could, reassemble, put back and bolt on
8 - Refit all parts removed
9 - Try started - DAMN!! Its still noisy, but weird, bike doesn't start
10 - DUH!!! CDI
11 - Still no joy from bike
12 - Check ignition, plugs (replaced them later), kills switch, still no joy
13 - Got it started via the throttle but no idling

I got the wrong carb cleaner (the pour type and not the spray type) so I haven't cleaned the carb yet again, will do that tomorrow. There is spark as well.

So, I got it to idle and start again tonight (cleaned carb last night with fuel) and idle after it was warm, but I stopped it while.

What could be going on? I think I need to clean it properly with the spray carb cleaner especially the slow system (idling part).

But what else could it be? Should I replace my jets (I still want standard, the power is plenty for my liking thank you). Could worn rings do this? I have been riding it hard, but didn't expect my oil to go from FULL to below LOW in just about 1200km (but then I couldn't really keep it off the throttle much the past two weeks, ITS JUST SO MUCH FUN THIS BIKE!!!!!!)

The guys from Advrider say it must be fuel supply problems. I tend to think so too since the bike can run if I use throttle.

What gets me down the most is that I attempted to quiet the starter (which is working) but now I have a bike that doesn't want to idle or start. Suppose cleaning needs to be more involved.

Happy trails.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:05:04 pm by Inprogress »
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »
Thanx Lecap,I have the '08 model and about 8000km's on now,haven't checked the head bearings yet,will do . . .

Thanx for the pics Ganjoria :biggrin:,I love checking out the other guys DR's here.....

Tell me where can I get a That IMS 19L tank you have? Still want to get 1 in the future. . .

Kykdaar:I want to organize a DR-BASH!!  I am already trying to get all the westerncape DR's together at the same time once a month for some riding.But would be cool if there can be like a "DR-Bash",we should defnitly do that!

But anyway,im busy designing a rear-custom lugguage rack for my DR,but want to know why sum of u guys build these things so high up??
Anyway,can sum1 send me (kykdaar) sum close-up pics of their lugguage rack's,want to know what's gonna be the best for brackets holding the little flat plate in place...

Thanx :thumleft:

Then another thing ,If I go on a trip I  usually take a 10L plastic jerrycan with,but saw this 5L one u get at game,and I am gonna get me one of those now,I mean extra 5L is gonna be enough right?
Then it's 18L total,and If I work it out corectly,I'll be able to get between 270-280km in total?

Thanx,Ride Safe
Martin

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:36 pm »
Not sure if you removed the carb off the bike when doing the starter ? If not it's unlikely to cause the bike not to run. Will it idle with choke ? Is it possible that when you removed the cam chain tensioner that the cam may have skipped a tooth ? When it runs with throttle is it smooth ? On the DRZ 400 the pickup for the cdi sits by the flywheel, any chance of it being damaged or not in the correct place ?

Good luck  :thumleft:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:57 pm »
Oh,1more thing, TO ALL THE DR OWNERS: How many kays do you get out of a tank before it go's on reserve ? ? ? ?

I get about 140/145 to 160 riding around here,and on a trip its a bit more 170-180km's  .  .  .  .

And I think crossed-up told me the reserve is about 35km's?

Tell me is this normal? >:(

Thanx! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2009, 09:35:25 pm »
Hey Sidetrack, funny you mention that, I was wondering if that might not have screwed it up. With my playing I did notice it idles with choke, but not off choke. Will check that via timing marks etc???

Martin, I get about 230km of a tank before reserve, ok, thats if I ride average. But with the elandsrevier ride I went for about 220km and didn't hit reserve cause I took it gentle on the way down. But I know from checking my spark plugs that mine might be bordering on the lean side. Still trying to determine what you look out for as signs of an engine running lean (all these things combined tells you that in all probability your bike is running lean - same with rich).

Didn't touch the carb...ok I touched it but not in the sense of fiddling with it. I thought I might have somehow adjusted it as I nudged it with my fingers and hand as I removed the starter.

But will have to (and I wanted to) check that timing. Can I adjust it statically like the G/S or do I need a bit more tear down now and a timing light?

Happy trails,

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »
I think if it's white stuff on your spark-plug the bike is running to lean.

and if it's red stuff on your spark-plug the bike is running ritch.

CORECT me if im WRONG? :thumleft:

Offline the_priest

• The Ghostbane Collective
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »
Oh,1more thing, TO ALL THE DR OWNERS: How many kays do you get out of a tank before it go's on reserve ? ? ? ?

I've only ever hit reserve once.

I usually fill up at 160-170km.

Offline the_priest

• The Ghostbane Collective
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2009, 10:29:53 pm »
slide drilled - see pic

I've been wanting to do this as I am looking for a bit more response out of my throttle.
Is this mod fairly simple to do though?

Could you maybe post a few quick directions on how to do it?
All I ever see is pics of how the slide must look, but I got no bloody idea on how to get to and get the slide out.  :-\  *noob mechanic*

Also I cannot spot the thread on cutting the needle jet spring... can you post a link to the TT thread?

Offline CHorse

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #152 on: November 18, 2009, 07:44:42 am »
Martin, few picks of my rack here

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=39111.0

Worked well on it's maiden trip, and while packing I attached a rubber covered piece of hardboard (using saddles) to give me a flat surface on which to stand a 5l jerry can. (RPC Touring Tank - Red-Plastic-Container) Was a temporary measure and hardboard broke on a badly corrugated stretch, will get a flat alu plate to attach in the same way in future when doing long trips.

Found huge variance in consumption depending on speed and wind on last trip (I am not small and the bike was very loaded). On tar, keeping the speed between 110 and 120 I generally ran into reserve at around 140km, worst I had was into a headwind and then only got 110km before hitting reserve. On dirt, with speeds of between 80 and 90 I would hit reserve at 180 to 200km. Seems to be 3l left as reserve, so can calculate distanse based on current consumption.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2009, 07:46:11 am »
Kykdaar:I want to organize a DR-BASH!!  I am already trying to get all the westerncape DR's together at the same time once a month for some riding.But would be cool if there can be like a "DR-Bash",we should defnitly do that!

But anyway,im busy designing a rear-custom lugguage rack for my DR,but want to know why sum of u guys build these things so high up??
Anyway,can sum1 send me (kykdaar) sum close-up pics of their lugguage rack's,want to know what's gonna be the best for brackets holding the little flat plate in place...

Thanx :thumleft:

Then another thing ,If I go on a trip I  usually take a 10L plastic jerrycan with,but saw this 5L one u get at game,and I am gonna get me one of those now,I mean extra 5L is gonna be enough right?
Then it's 18L total,and If I work it out corectly,I'll be able to get between 270-280km in total?

Thanx,Ride Safe
Martin

Howzit Martin,

Would be lekker having a DR get-together. There are very few DR's around and thus not many opportunities to meet other DR owners and talk a bit of shop.   

I posted a fred on my "monster luggage rack" here - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=33219.0

One thing I can say about it (and I think Ganjorra can attest to) is the fact that it is hellova strong.

I think an additional 5lt can adds more than enough fuel range in SA. On my 19 lt tank I get about 400-420km range (depending on driving speeds and terrain). Had the indignity of running out of fuel once and having to be towed by Blazes on his Dakkie, but this just adds to the fun of what we do.

Being a fan of minamilistic touring on thumpers, I believe that the little space we have for luggage should not be "wasted". In other words, rather get a larger fuel tank than take up space that could have been used for other purposes with an additional jerrycan - just my 2c.

Ganjora

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:11 am »

Tell me where can I get a That IMS 19L tank you have? Still want to get 1 in the future. . .

I get about 140/145 to 160 riding around here,and on a trip its a bit more 170-180km's  .  .  .  .

And I think crossed-up told me the reserve is about 35km's?

IMS tank organised trhough lecap (i don't have a credit card,  so overseas purchases are difficult) cost R3500,  at my house within a month.
on a standard tank i'd get around 160 - 170km before reserve and 35km on reserve.
with the IMS I get about 250km before hitting reserve.   I used the standard petcock with the IMS tank - reserve is still 35km...

slide drilled - see pic

I've been wanting to do this as I am looking for a bit more response out of my throttle.
Is this mod fairly simple to do though?

Could you maybe post a few quick directions on how to do it?
All I ever see is pics of how the slide must look, but I got no bloody idea on how to get to and get the slide out.  :-\  *noob mechanic*

Also I cannot spot the thread on cutting the needle jet spring... can you post a link to the TT thread?

drilling the slide is easy,  but i don't trust myself.   those meaty paws in the pic belong to my mechanic.
you have to loosen the clamps that hold the carb in place,  twist it so you can see the top,  take the top off,  remove the spring and needle jet,  whip out slide,  drill an EXTRA hole - it has 2 holes standard.
as for the 3 spring coils,  i'll have a squizz...

Ganjora

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2009, 08:20:27 am »
here's some links:

DR F.A.Q: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705043

Carb Specific Wiki  page: http://dr650.wikia.com/wiki/Intake

enjoy...

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2009, 09:27:03 am »
Jenks,  i'd be very keen to hear how much you can get the pumper landed for,  also 39 or 40???   maybe a mini group buy...

That bike of yours looks hot! Kykdaar's as well. Lekker bonies!!!

That rack of yours looks very similar to kd's. Could you okes mail me the plans?? I may copy what kykdaar did. It really looks nice!

Regarding a group buy ... I think that is a great idea. I'll only have cash (if my house sale goes through) in Feb next year. Once the cash is available - I'll mail you and then contact procycle regarding a group buy. We can definitely talk about this!

I'll ride with you okes as soon as I get my learners sorted (again  >:(  )

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:32:25 am by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2009, 09:36:50 am »
Hey inprogress.

I'm no carb fundie. Lecap will have lots of advice on this. Maybe pm him??

Regarding mileage. I used to get around 220 on a tank (stock tank) on the black bike. I'd also fill up at around 170ks.The blue bike is apparently slightly lighter - so I should get more mileage  :ricky:
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2009, 11:44:02 am »

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling.  I believe the chain tensioner is an item to be careful with.  You only take it off when the motor is in some particular position and you never turn the motor when it's out - or so I heard.  I'm sure LeCap will provide the correct details.   This should also be in the service manual which you have.

Yes, 17 km/l is typical for harder riding.  20 and even 23 is quite possible with harder tyres, and softer throttle.  Ridden very carefully 3l reserve will give up to 60 km.   I always calculated on 2l for reserve to be conservative.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2009, 01:36:48 pm »
Hey CU, not to worry, I have a nack to find weird situations, I think given a few more years I can quite possible write a book called: Important tips to remember when doing, well, anything

It will be broadly marketed as I experience the same things in everything that I tackle.  :D

I think it is as you all suggest, now just to get it back the way it is supposed to be.

Happy trails.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling.  I believe the chain tensioner is an item to be careful with.  You only take it off when the motor is in some particular position and you never turn the motor when it's out - or so I heard.  I'm sure LeCap will provide the correct details.   This should also be in the service manual which you have.