Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DR650 thread  (Read 129662 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
Re: The DR650 thread
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
Hey CU, not to worry, I have a nack to find weird situations, I think given a few more years I can quite possible write a book called: Important tips to remember when doing, well, anything

It will be broadly marketed as I experience the same things in everything that I tackle.  :D

I think it is as you all suggest, now just to get it back the way it is supposed to be.

Happy trails.

6 - Wiggle it about but still no joy, so remove the cam chain tensioner

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling.  I believe the chain tensioner is an item to be careful with.  You only take it off when the motor is in some particular position and you never turn the motor when it's out - or so I heard.  I'm sure LeCap will provide the correct details.   This should also be in the service manual which you have.

Any chance of a vacuum pipe not connected ?
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2009, 04:09:32 pm »
Yes, but in my case, no. Its one of the two that I am getting use to pulling off and fishing for when I put it back on. Thanks though.

Happy trails
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2009, 07:35:40 pm »
Thanx alot for the Info guys! :thumleft:

I will post a thread on my Rear luggauge rack-design soon . . .

And then the IMS-tank you say it's about R3500-Thats not bad at all,Will get one when I have money :deal:

Cheers :thumleft:
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Ganjora

« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2009, 01:24:37 pm »
some one heard us muttering about carbs,  and whether to go mikuni TM-40 or keihin 39 FCR-mx...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848311

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2009, 01:50:48 pm »
some one heard us muttering about carbs,  and whether to go mikuni TM-40 or keihin 39 FCR-mx...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848311

I'm going with the mikuni when the cash comes. It's a complete kit (including different needle sizes, cables, etc).

I think the pumper carb probably does away with any gearing change requirements because of the torque it delivers at low rpms (3k plus). The consensus on advrider is that either pumper carb makes a big difference in the usability of the dr's power. Can't wait! :3some:
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Ganjora

« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2009, 02:00:47 pm »
any word on the cost landed??
the mikuni...

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:52 pm »
any word on the cost landed??
the mikuni...

Not yet. I think procycle will probably do a good deal if we group order. I'm very keen to get the mikuni, the motard wheel set, magnetic drain plug as starters - cash allowing. I should be in a position to buy in Feb. Don't know how that suits you, Ganjora??
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Ganjora

« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2009, 02:15:45 pm »
jan/feb
i'm easy,  like a slut.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2009, 02:21:34 pm »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline CHorse

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2009, 02:41:57 pm »
Jenks, you ever bought from Procycle before?

I was looking at the lowered footpegs this morning but did not order as I was not sure of their service.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2009, 03:13:38 pm »
Jenks, you ever bought from Procycle before?

I was looking at the lowered footpegs this morning but did not order as I was not sure of their service.

No - but check one or two pages back. Someone did order and got discount from procycle. I've only read good things on advrider about procycle and kientech's services. Touch wood ...

I am definitely not going to use our post office though. Hopefully we can just use courier services and cut that bunch of thieves out of the loop. I presume that's the way it's done - couriers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:31:33 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2009, 07:42:23 pm »
This is a copy of the post on both Advrider and TT:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, man. It takes years of practising ignorance to get to my level of stupidity. Sometimes it pays to read the manual.

So I stripped of the tappet cover today/night and voala, cam chain has moved. Those two little lines don't level with the engine block.

So, proceed to remove the ACCT again, align the cam, untension the ACCT en reinstall the correct way. Reassembled everything again, idle screw at 1 3/4 turns. Petcock on on, press happy button on choke, voalla....brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbr
brbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbbr

Remove choke after 20 seconds....brbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbb
rbbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrb

Point is, all is well in my little word of idiocricy.

Thanks for all the help to everyone, much appreciated.

Now one thing, I need to order a new crank case cover nut (that one you unscrew on the side of the case cover) cause mine was stuck, the allen hole semi rounded, and after it was finally rounded, I moerd the allen key through it and unscrewed it.

Definition of moerd: Past-tense. To hit something or someone. 'He got moerd the other day'. Moer being present tense. 'I will moer you!!!'

Thanks again for everyone entertaining this idiot. Now I want to order the parts and by the time I get back I should be able to install it all and go ride.

Thanks for everyone locally for the help, Lecap, Sidetrack for suggesting the ACCT. I R BABOON!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:44:47 pm by Inprogress »

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:19 pm »
Mmmm..

As I thought.  I'm pleased your bike is running again with no valves through the pistons or anything.  Well done.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2009, 08:41:11 pm »
Nothing seems broken (except the cover I broke  :angry7:). And I learned something. Sorry, did you also suggest the ACCT? Thanks to you as well CU.

So we live and we learn. To bad its gonna be two weeks before I ride her again (going away and need to replace that cover), but its worth the wait. PLUS, I don't have that feeling of uncertainty with the bike anymore, you know, that feeling of thinking about what if something breaks, will it be easy to fix....type of feeling.

Happy trails all!!!

P.S. I might go and install a J&E 10.5:1 piston kit, if I do, I most certainly make a nice post of it. BUT, this is a big MAYBE

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2009, 10:35:33 pm »
This is a copy of the post on both Advrider and TT:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, man. It takes years of practising ignorance to get to my level of stupidity. Sometimes it pays to read the manual.

So I stripped of the tappet cover today/night and voala, cam chain has moved. Those two little lines don't level with the engine block.

So, proceed to remove the ACCT again, align the cam, untension the ACCT en reinstall the correct way. Reassembled everything again, idle screw at 1 3/4 turns. Petcock on on, press happy button on choke, voalla....brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbr
brbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbbr

Remove choke after 20 seconds....brbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbb
rbbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrbrbrbrbbrbrb

Point is, all is well in my little word of idiocricy.

Thanks for all the help to everyone, much appreciated.

Now one thing, I need to order a new crank case cover nut (that one you unscrew on the side of the case cover) cause mine was stuck, the allen hole semi rounded, and after it was finally rounded, I moerd the allen key through it and unscrewed it.

Definition of moerd: Past-tense. To hit something or someone. 'He got moerd the other day'. Moer being present tense. 'I will moer you!!!'

Thanks again for everyone entertaining this idiot. Now I want to order the parts and by the time I get back I should be able to install it all and go ride.

Thanks for everyone locally for the help, Lecap, Sidetrack for suggesting the ACCT. I R BABOON!
My invoice is on it's way  :biggrin: Happy riding.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Ganjora

« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2009, 10:10:47 am »
Inprgress:  did you ever find out what was causing your starter to shriek?   this morning mine was also making strange noises...

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2009, 02:39:51 pm »
Not yet no. A bloke on Advrider, or TT, not sure now, mentioned that it might be the starter clutch that I'm hearing. I will have to investigate when I get back. Will keep you posted as to my findings. I wanted to strip out the starter and let it run in my hand to determine if it is the starter.

Other than that, I have no clue.

Happy trails

Inprgress:  did you ever find out what was causing your starter to shriek?   this morning mine was also making strange noises...

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2009, 03:04:19 pm »
Hope you don't mind if I hang out here for a while, I have a brand new DR 650 to test, only done 100km on it so far, weather is to kark to ride it properly.....
Question, that little switch on the RHS of the carb that gets actuated at full throttle, what does it do?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline CHorse

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #178 on: November 20, 2009, 03:15:56 pm »
Hope you don't mind if I hang out here for a while, I have a brand new DR 650 to test, only done 100km on it so far, weather is to kark to ride it properly.....
Question, that little switch on the RHS of the carb that gets actuated at full throttle, what does it do?

Ignites the afterburner..so use with due caution  :ricky:

Ganjora

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2009, 03:24:55 pm »
seen it
wondered about it
forgotten about