Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DR650 thread  (Read 129500 times)

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: The DR650 thread
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2009, 03:26:53 pm »
seen it
wondered about it
forgotten about

+1

Calling LeCap

Offline CHorse

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2009, 03:30:29 pm »
Found one thread on ADVRider that says that it's purpose is to "retard the ignition in the first three gears at full throttle"

and on DR650faq.pbworks.com...

The carburator has a microswitch that's activated by a cam when the throttle is wide open. What is it for and how do I disable it?
It's an ignition retarder. It retards the ignition at full throttle in second and third over a certain rpm. They say for pollution purposes (most probably noise).

To disable it mount the actuating arm 180 degrees around.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2009, 03:33:41 pm »
That makes sense, when I floored it in 1st 2nd and 3rd, it did seem to bog a bit, although the revs weren't on the limiter yet...is there a rev limiter?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2009, 05:03:04 pm »
Hope you don't mind if I hang out here for a while, I have a brand new DR 650 to test, only done 100km on it so far, weather is to kark to ride it properly.....
Question, that little switch on the RHS of the carb that gets actuated at full throttle, what does it do?

Ignites the afterburner..so use with due caution  :ricky:

Hahaha - no it's apparently a rev limiter. I read only the ausie bikes have that. I've got the US specced bike (grey import) and it doesn't have that attachment. EDIT - Ok a retarder ... makes sense.

Easiest way to spot the different bikes ... the Ausie bonies have a neat dr250 tail lite. We get the ausie spec.

The US bikes have a farking ugly tail light blob that harks back to the 80s.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:06:02 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline the_priest

• The Ghostbane Collective
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2009, 05:11:24 pm »
Speaking of that anyone know where is the best place to pick up one of those DRZ250 tail lights?

It's apparently just a bolt on mod, and I REALLY want one.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2009, 05:13:34 pm »
Speaking of that anyone know where is the best place to pick up one of those DRZ250 tail lights?

It's apparently just a bolt on mod, and I REALLY want one.

procycle has em. Sheesh - I should consider setting up an agency  :deal:.

Alternatively a second hand/spares shop. I'll race you to the bike hospital. Ready, steady, go ...  :ricky:

BTW - it's a dr250 not drz, hey.  Otherwise you might get the wrong thing
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:27:12 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Hagar

« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2009, 05:57:44 pm »

Question, that little switch on the RHS of the carb that gets actuated at full throttle, what does it do?

I understand it can be disconnected by unplugging the connector where it joins the rest of the wiring. 

Ganjora

« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2009, 08:16:40 pm »
who's dunnit yet?

I understand it can be disconnected by unplugging the connector where it joins the rest of the wiring. 

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2009, 11:48:48 pm »
I have. That switch thingy on the side of the carb? I have, unintentionally. The two bolts basically sheared off and I haven't put the switch back. The bike should ride tomorrow (which is in 12 mintures) and I can tell you what happens.

:thumleft:
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Hagar

« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2009, 05:25:07 am »
I unplugged mine. Havent revved it high enough in low gears since to notice if something changed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 05:36:24 am by Hagar »

Offline Rob_A

« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2009, 01:43:58 pm »
Jenks, you ever bought from Procycle before?

I was looking at the lowered footpegs this morning but did not order as I was not sure of their service.

No - but check one or two pages back. Someone did order and got discount from procycle. I've only read good things on advrider about procycle and kientech's services. Touch wood ...

I am definitely not going to use our post office though. Hopefully we can just use courier services and cut that bunch of thieves out of the loop. I presume that's the way it's done - couriers.

Whatever you guys do, do not emulate me and loose your tracking number. About three months ago I ordered about R2 500-00 worth of stuff from Procycle and have not seen it as of yet. Unlikely to either. Without the tracking number I have no idea where to start looking for the parcel. I sent an email to Procycle requesting the tracking number but did not get a reply. To make matters worse I spoke to a guy from customs and he said that they open unclaimed parcels after three months and auction off the goods. Rather stick with a well known courier in SA like DHL.
There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2009, 07:59:59 am »
Serviced the bike yesterday (only cost me R41.00 for the oil filter as I already had the engine and air filter oils ;D) and decided to get rid of the sidestand and clutch switches as well.

Who needs the added headache of switches? In the unlikely event that my bike does not want to start in future, at least I know that it will not be due to some switch. Think of it as enhancing the DR's reliability even more ;D

Had to phone Ganjorra when I got a bit confused, but here is another  description of the procedure -

Sidestand switch -

- remove seat;
- follow the wires up from the sidestand switch to a green connector sitting just behind and below the fuel tank;
- disconnect;
- take the male connector and the two wires attached to it (i.e. the wires leading down to the sidestand switch) and cut those two wires a few centimetres below the connector.
- Join the two pieces of cut wires permanently together; and
- re-connect the male and female connector;
- sidestand switch is now history. The remainder of the wires leading down to the now defunct sidestand switch can be rolled up and taped up/secured with a cable tie.

Clutch lever switch -

- take of headlamp cowl;
- undo strap and remove the protective canvass / plastic covering;
- follow the wires from the clutch switch to the wiring harnass;
- disconnect both wires from their respective male/female connectors in the wiring harnass;
- roll up and tape / secure
- connect the male and female wires from the wiring harnass together;
- clutch switch killed :thumleft:     

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2009, 12:39:50 pm »
Nice one kd. I'll do the same once I've done making me new rack and skidplate. Here's the rack so far. I call it the scary face rack  :eek7: ...

Just checking it all lines up after tacking on the arms. The one arm is slightly out of line - so I'll have to redo it  

:-\ More heating and bending. Then more cutting and drilling ... filing, sanding, cleaning, ... undercoating and painting ... EISH!!!

The one rectangular and two circular holes are to lighten the rack. It's still quite stiff despite those holes. The plate is 2mm mild steel and the arms are 2cm flat bar (3mm thick). The flate plate will be hidden underneath the mounting plate of the top box - so no chance of being sliced in half by 'ol scary face.

I've designed the rack so it'll sit about three millimetres above the rear mudguard and will attach to the rear frame arch underneath the fender via a longer nut (the small central hole between the rack's "eyes" is where the nut goes in  :3some: This offers central mass support by spreading some of the weight onto that arch. It'll make the rack capable of carrying some serious weight. It also lowers the centre of gravity quite significantly. I'll add some protection foam to the bottom of the rack when it's done to protect the mudguard.

I didn't realise it at the time, but the top box I bought from Megabike is actually designed for an africa twin. So the holes are all to  line up with the twin's baseplate. It also has ready made attachment areas for panniers. I don't think I'll need em (travel light) - but nice to know it's an option.  :deal:

BTW - do you guys think I'll be able to do some 45 degree bends on that flat bar using a blowtorch (I want to bend the arms so they match snugly with the rear bolt holes.

cheers okes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:24:07 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »
Whatever you guys do, do not emulate me and loose your tracking number.

Yikes. Mmmm having second thoughts on this now ... I know one can purchase insurance. That's probably a good idea.
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline CHorse

« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2009, 02:43:11 pm »
Help please, can someone post a picture of the speedo cable at the point where it passes the front mudguard.

Just noticed a hole in the mudguard and cable flapping around...guess there must be some sort of clip there that has fallen out.  ???

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2009, 02:49:27 pm »
Help please, can someone post a picture of the speedo cable at the point where it passes the front mudguard.

Just noticed a hole in the mudguard and cable flapping around...guess there must be some sort of clip there that has fallen out.  ???

I noticed on my second bike (an 07 US model)  that there is a clip on the guard fastening the speedo cable. My black dr (my previous bike - an 08 model and Ausie spec) didn't have that clip either.
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline CHorse

« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2009, 02:55:38 pm »

I noticed on my second bike (an 07 US model)  that there is a clip on the guard fastening the speedo cable. My black dr (my previous bike - an 08 model and Ausie spec) didn't have that clip either.

Cool, thanks, won't worry then, thought it must have broken off together with the number plate on the bad roads last week. :thumleft:

Offline Hagar

« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »
Jenks, you ever bought from Procycle before?

I was looking at the lowered footpegs this morning but did not order as I was not sure of their service.

No - but check one or two pages back. Someone did order and got discount from procycle. I've only read good things on advrider about procycle and kientech's services. Touch wood ...

I am definitely not going to use our post office though. Hopefully we can just use courier services and cut that bunch of thieves out of the loop. I presume that's the way it's done - couriers.

Whatever you guys do, do not emulate me and loose your tracking number. About three months ago I ordered about R2 500-00 worth of stuff from Procycle and have not seen it as of yet. Unlikely to either. Without the tracking number I have no idea where to start looking for the parcel. I sent an email to Procycle requesting the tracking number but did not get a reply. To make matters worse I spoke to a guy from customs and he said that they open unclaimed parcels after three months and auction off the goods. Rather stick with a well known courier in SA like DHL.

I have ordered stuff from Procycle (including IMS tank) and I got excellent service from them.  I got a confirmation e-mail on placing my order.  My packet arrived at the George Post Office within a week of me ordering.  After 2 weeks I collected it at the Post Office.  During that time the Post Office did not yet manage to put the paper in my post box to inform me that it arrived.

Procycle's computer calculates the shipping as you add stuff.  After I received my parcel, I noticed that actual shipping was less that computer calculated due to combined shipping.  I send Procycle an e-mail and Jeff himself promptly replied and offered to refund me, so that I only pay actual shipping.  In that way I did not pay shipping for the extras like Twinair   filter and 14t sprocket when it was shipped with the tank.   He appeared a very nice guy to do business with and that is the general consensus on Thumpertalk also.   If he did not respond to your email, send him another one.  I need a jet kit for the FCR carb and intend ordering it.  If any of you order something from Procycle please let me know, perhaps we can combine shipping in some way.  The Post Office remains the weak link.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:37 pm »
So you have the pumper carb, Hagar?? Is it all it's claimed to be?

Regarding a group order. I'm very keen - when I have the cash - probably only in Feb though. Can one bypass the post orifice, I mean, office, and just use couriers?

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:38:40 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Hagar

« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2009, 09:53:10 pm »
So you have the pumper carb, Hagar?? Is it all it's claimed to be?

Do not know yet.  Mine left the US on the 18th of November at 10:00.  Now it is in the hands of the Post Office/ Customs.  Who knows where it is now.  Bought on ebay.