Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DR650 thread  (Read 127749 times)

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: The DR650 thread
« Reply #3880 on: July 12, 2017, 09:15:00 am »
Hoe lyk dit nou!

Die thread is maar stil!

cam chain, is there a way to measure to determine if still in spec?

Heard a slight tapping/slapping sound and thought it was my cam chain, but after inspection the guides, sprockets and chain seems to be in perfect condition.

Are your valve clearances in spec.....when engine is cold?

yes, checked those, all in spec.

sound is there cold and warm
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:16:15 am by Matie spero »
I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline blauth

« Reply #3881 on: July 12, 2017, 09:23:13 am »
Hoe lyk dit nou!

Die thread is maar stil!

Heard a slight tapping/slapping sound and thought it was my cam chain, but after inspection the guides, sprockets and chain seems to be in perfect condition.

I've had a slapping sound from 'Piston Slap' on a bike before but that normally gets better when the bike warms up.

Is there an automatic decompression setup on the DR650 cam. Wonder if that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #3882 on: July 12, 2017, 09:26:38 am »
Hoe lyk dit nou!

Die thread is maar stil!

I've had a slapping sound from 'Piston Slap' on a bike before but that normally gets better when the bike warms up.

Is there an automatic decompression setup on the DR650 cam. Wonder if that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Took the head off last night, and inspected the barrel, not even scuff marks, so would have seen signs if piston slap was present

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline blauth

« Reply #3883 on: July 12, 2017, 09:29:54 am »
Hoe lyk dit nou!

Die thread is maar stil!

Took the head off last night, and inspected the barrel, not even scuff marks, so would have seen signs if piston slap was present

Look, I'm no boffin on these DR650's but from what I understand, they have a nicasil barrel and piston wear isn't in the common problem list. What is the mileage?

I had a Honda Dominator many moons back that developed a clicking sound. Turned out to be the valve seat had come out of the Cylinder head and was making the noise. Maybe check how solid your valve seats are still....if the head is still off.

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #3884 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:42 am »
Hoe lyk dit nou!

Die thread is maar stil!

Look, I'm no boffin on these DR650's but from what I understand, they have a nicasil barrel and piston wear isn't in the common problem list. What is the mileage?

I had a Honda Dominator many moons back that developed a clicking sound. Turned out to be the valve seat had come out of the Cylinder head and was making the noise. Maybe check how solid your valve seats are still....if the head is still off.

head came off to replace the valve stem seals, so the valves will be checked.

20k km on the clock

Offline blauth

« Reply #3885 on: July 12, 2017, 10:10:41 am »
Well the bike is apart now so you can't do this now but what helps to locate an issue is put the tip of the screw driver to different parts of the engine and the other end to your ear, kinda like a stethoscope. This helps to localize the noise and give you a better indication where to look.

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #3886 on: July 12, 2017, 10:15:15 am »
Well the bike is apart now so you can't do this now but what helps to locate an issue is put the tip of the screw driver to different parts of the engine and the other end to your ear, kinda like a stethoscope. This helps to localize the noise and give you a better indication where to look.

:thumright:

still think it might be the chain, looks can be deceiving, but a measurement never lies.

Offline blauth

« Reply #3887 on: July 12, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »

:thumright:

still think it might be the chain, looks can be deceiving, but a measurement never lies.

Maybe you should make sure your cam chain tensioner is working correctly. I know on the early DRZ's, there were issues where the tensioner was not long enough so the chain would stretch to a point, still within service limit but just past the extension of the cam chain tensioner and then the cam chain would become loose and a problem.

Google it or contact Lecap to see if it's a problem.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #3888 on: July 12, 2017, 03:42:02 pm »
I imported a 25l Acerbis tank for my DR, but it only fits on 92 to 95DRs, not my 91. Anyone interested in it?

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #3889 on: July 18, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »
hi

im thinking of ordering a Acerbis 1996-2014  5.3 Gal Black tank from just gas tanks.

$240 (R3100)

if I order 1 shipping will be $85 R4200 plus minus
If I oder 2 it will be $125 ($63 per tank) R3920 plus minus

anybody interested to join?

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #3890 on: July 18, 2017, 08:01:37 pm »
Hoe lyk dit nou!

Die thread is maar stil!

Good to hear from you Matie!

Is there not a balancer shaft, that is chain driven?

Kilometers on your DR?

Mooibly!
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #3891 on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:40 am »
Hoe lyk dit nou!

Die thread is maar stil!

Good to hear from you Matie!

Is there not a balancer shaft, that is chain driven?

Kilometers on your DR?

Mooibly!

Hi Chopper, been a while!

not that I am aware off, will check.

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #3892 on: July 19, 2017, 10:55:32 am »
I see there's copper or copper plated washers on the 4 bolts that tightens the head.

do you replace these or can they be reused, could not really see any crushing of deformation, but I have this idea that you always replace copper washers?

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #3893 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:41 am »
I imported a 25l Acerbis tank for my DR, but it only fits on 92 to 95DRs, not my 91. Anyone interested in it?

It pains me that after all these years you still do not know that there are almost no similarities between your DR and the later DR650's. Yours is basically a 80's DR600 with increased capacity.

Offline DJ

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Member of the SSS
« Reply #3894 on: July 19, 2017, 12:00:12 pm »
Hey guys,
Long time since I've been on the thread, my accident damaged DR650 is still available, looking for R10k for the complete bike.
Cheers,
Dale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3895 on: July 19, 2017, 03:30:31 pm »
Hey guys,
Long time since I've been on the thread, my accident damaged DR650 is still available, looking for R10k for the complete bike.
Cheers,
Dale

Hi Dale

Good to hear from you! :thumleft:

Offline LoopSoosStroop

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Long live the TTR
« Reply #3896 on: July 19, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »
Hey guys,
Cheers,
Dale

Link to the sale thread?

Offline DJ

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Member of the SSS
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline chopperpilot

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3898 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:19 pm »
I see there's copper or copper plated washers on the 4 bolts that tightens the head.

do you replace these or can they be reused, could not really see any crushing of deformation, but I have this idea that you always replace copper washers?a
I'll replace them if engine not assembled yet.

Your local brake & clutch should have them in stock for cheap.

Sommer get some sump washer (alu) while you are there.

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #3899 on: July 19, 2017, 03:59:13 pm »

do you replace these or can they be reused, could not really see any crushing of deformation, but I have this idea that you always replace copper washers?a
I'll replace them if engine not assembled yet.

Your local brake & clutch should have them in stock for cheap.

Sommer get some sump washer (alu) while you are there.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: