Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DR650 thread  (Read 122256 times)

Offline jenks

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • just call me slim
Re: The DR650 thread
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2009, 02:06:19 pm »
Ja, it's a Kenda.

They're cheap and a little slippery in the wet (make that a lot slippery!!  :eek7: ). Got them at DNA. I think the deathwings are better, quite honestly. Just wanted to try another tyre. The tread pattern is more street orientated than the stock wings - but the wings are superior on street and on flat track IMHO.

Those kenda's will be downright dangerous in mud  :patch:.

I'm thinking maybe some sticky slicks and a pair of knobblies sometime in the future - just to give me all the options  :ricky:

I live in Westdene, Jozi. My neighbours in Westbury have already tried repossessing the dr. Thank god I made that lock set-up. They gave up the minute they saw it! Highly recommended and simple to make. The staffie is a meek oke, the skinny little jack russel is the meneer (at least he thinks so!)

Hey I'm still looking for opinions on loading up the dr for a long trip. Durbs and the Eastern Cape are on the cards for late Feb. I like to travel real light - so I'm hoping the Vuka top box will be big (and strong) enough!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:17:23 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2009, 02:11:49 pm »
What is your consumption like. I did 362km's of mixed riding on 17.8 litres the other day which worked out to 20km/l. I think that is about right?

That's spot-on. I get just below five litres per 100 kays.

I've ground down the header weld and removed the snorkel from the airbox - so the bike might be a little lean. The spark plugs show a richish mixture, tho'. 
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 02:15:07 pm »
did the entire cape winter with that kenda and only had 1 slippery experience and that was due to diesel on the road not the tire  ???

but then again i dont put my knee down in the wet  :P

also did baviaans and cederberge with the kenda - no issues whatsoever i'll buy another one no problem  :thumleft:

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »
did the entire cape winter with that kenda and only had 1 slippery experience and that was due to diesel on the road not the tire  ???

but then again i dont put my knee down in the wet  :P

also did baviaans and cederberge with the kenda - no issues whatsoever i'll buy another one no problem  :thumleft:

Good to hear (I was thinking baviaans in Feb!). This is my first bike - so I'm still learning the limits. Maybe I'm too good/bad a scholar?? :eek7:
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Jman

• Bike: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
  • Ride the freewind like you stole it
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 04:23:01 pm »
I hope I'm asking at the right thread now.  I've got a XF650, think its the same engin as the DR.
Most of the times when I switch it of it makes a loud knock from the engine, almost as if the starter is engaging and knock against the flywheel.
90% of the time it starts with just touch of the starter button, but sometimes,like when I forget to choke it, it struggels to start, and then that knocking is at every swing of the engine, it sounds terrible!  When I changed the oil yesterday, I found a small piece of metal in the oil, looked like a piece of gear tooth!
Do you think I must strip it down.
Other than that, it purrs like a kitten when ideling, and pulls nicely, never had any problems, and uses almost no oil.

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 04:51:50 pm »
I hope I'm asking at the right thread now.  I've got a XF650, think its the same engin as the DR.

That sounds very serious. I'm not sure the engines are the same. The dr's a 644cc motor, air and oil cooled. Definitely don't ride the bike until you've solved the problem. Ask Lecap for further advice. If you can, remove the clutch cover and have a peek for any obvious issues.
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2009, 01:26:34 pm »
Do you think I must strip it down.

Check out the thumpertalk thread for the dr. The third gear cog can apparently grenade and screw your entire motor  :Whaxatk: A guy called nordieboy had this happen to him recently.

I'd get a magnetized screwdriver or allen key and try to locate any other fragments!
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Jman

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 03:26:54 pm »
Bliksem, that won't be lekker.
I'll check it out, and drain out the new oil I just put in... :(
Thanks for the help
Oh yes, and it is the same engine, also 644cc air and oil cooled

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 04:13:17 pm »
Bliksem, that won't be lekker.
I'll check it out, and drain out the new oil I just put in... :(
Thanks for the help
Oh yes, and it is the same engine, also 644cc air and oil cooled

So it is the same motor then. Interesting! Check with lecap for any other issues. I know the neutral sending unit is a beeg problem on the dr. It's attached by two screws and is located behind the clutch basket. The screws gradually work loose and can also grenade the motor. If that piece of metal looks like a screw - you may be lucky in the sense that it's a relatively simple fix: Remove the clutch cover, remove the clutch basket and remove the f-ing NSU. You'll lose your neutral light - but gain piece (edit: that should be peace!!  :xxbah:) of mind. I really hope that is your problem. It's a major cockup if your tranny is imploding.

Also check your starter motor (as you hinted in your first post). It could be the starter gear, or part of the flywheel gear ring has disintigrated. Relatively easy to pull and check. 

Check with lecap tho'! I think you're close to his pozzy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:40:43 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 10:36:02 am »
Those Kendas are pieces of shite. Outright dangerous in cold and wet conditioons, pathetic performance on dirt, only good for sunshine summer commuting. I tried them once and nearly killed myself almost losing the front end TWICE in one corner, finishing off with a huge slide followed by another huge slide in the very next corner.

Go for Kings KT966.

The sound from Jman's Freewind is most probably a worn starter clutch. Not a major problem, some DR's and some Freewinds develop it and they go for a very long time before it actually packs up.

BTW: Never heard of any DR650SE third gear gearbox problems and never had any myself.
Also never had problems with the neutral switch thingie. Checked on two very high mileage engines and found everything i.o. IMHO a blown up freak incident.

The DR and XF engines are BASICALLY the same. Different cylinder heads (single port and twin port intakes). Also different oil coolers.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Jman

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 02:43:59 pm »
Thanks Lecap

Thats what one of my friends also told me yesterday after he heard it.  My mind is at ease now, because that actually makes sense if I listen to when it makes the noise.  That does not mean that the starter is running with the engine is it?  Maybe from all the knocking it chipped a tooth? I'll strip it in the near future and just hae a look, maybe replace the clutch.

About tyres, I've got Hydies on my front tyre at the moment, done about 2000km on them, and they are great all round tyres, grips well on tar and gravel.  Rear is dunlop and they are nice, but they run down quickly, maybe I should heat treat it before riding it to hard?

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 07:46:53 pm »
Those Kendas are pieces of shite

So I'm not imagining things  :-\  I'll try your tyre selection next! I ride like a grandad and those tyres still want to get me horizontal  :eek7: Five thousand Ks on the dr and I haven't dropped her once - despite them Kendas! I'm a veteran mountainbiker - so I've had my share of bloody meetings with Mr Mac. I sure don't want the dr tossing me at 75Kph.

Regarding tranny and NSU issues. With the greatest of respect, Lecap, they are definitely worth being aware of. The NSU in particular. Plenty of reports on thumpertalk, advrider and other fora on these slowly rattling loose and ending up in the transmission  :P. There are a small number of reports of relatively high mileage dr's having the 2nd or 3rd cog going pop (around 50 thousand Ks).

Here's a heart stopping example: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730490.

Halloween for dr owners  :sad2:

Some dr owners have also been scathing about the apparently variable quality of the tranny cogs.

One of the factors in the tranny grenading is probably poor maintenance by these owners - we're not all master bike techs like you lecap ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:01:37 pm by jenks »
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 10:01:01 pm »

One of the factors in the tranny grenading is probably poor maintenance by these owners -

I think 90 % of all bike troubles stem from this not just trannies, some people think a bike should last forever and that frequent oil changes are over rated  :P
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2009, 08:10:48 am »

One of the factors in the tranny grenading is probably poor maintenance by these owners -

I think 90 % of all bike troubles stem from this not just trannies, some people think a bike should last forever and that frequent oil changes are over rated  :P

+1

They also think ignoring the manufacturer's spec is OK.

But I also feel guys like Suzuki, BMW, etc, ect, should update and publish their specs and procedures, especially for long running models like the dr650.  :deal: Oils and tools have evolved somewhat since the dr first appeared in the current form in 1996. We'd all benefit from Zook's r and d being published on the web - maybe even in the wikis. At the moment all you have is a bunch of enthusiasts chatting (some of whom are excellent techs).
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2009, 08:24:29 am »
I love it when people donthave enough to do and start great threads like this!
Thanks!

Jenks its like youre   talking to yourself  ::)
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2009, 08:27:00 am »
I love it when people donthave enough to do and start great threads like this!
Thanks!

Jenks its like youre   talking to yourself  ::)

I'm my own best listener  ;D'

dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »
Any advice on the best place to get those kings 966s that lecap mentioned? Are there tread size variations? Those kendas give me the jeebees.
dr650se "Honest Joe"

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2009, 12:18:25 am »
Kings KT966: Your local bike shop can get them from Autocycle in Cape Town.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Hagar

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 07:14:28 am »
Do you perhaps know where I can get a 14t sprocket for the DR?  I went trough Attekwas kloof yesterday and would like a bit lower gearing for this kind of ride.   

Offline jenks

• just call me slim
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2009, 09:01:55 am »
Do you perhaps know where I can get a 14t sprocket for the DR?  I went trough Attekwas kloof yesterday and would like a bit lower gearing for this kind of ride.   

Procycle in the US can supply the 14t. I'm sure you can order it through Suzuki SA as well. I also want one. If there are any other takers, we could order together and split the importing costs. The best mod for your kind of application appears to be the pumper carb - which solves a range of issues in one go. Also available from Procycle - but expensive: http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.htm.
dr650se "Honest Joe"