Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DR650 thread  (Read 139498 times)

Offline Spectaitor

Re: The DR650 thread
« Reply #4000 on: March 18, 2020, 11:00:15 am »
You can get the good stuff at dealerships. I got a both front and back from Startline and am happy with them, just remember to transfer the heatshield off the old ones.
Simple Chinese stuff but for the DR they are more than good enough.
So much to do, so little time. Better get going then!

Offline Spectaitor

« Reply #4001 on: July 25, 2020, 08:10:24 am »
Headlight looks to be blown, plug and play upgrade to replace it with?
So much to do, so little time. Better get going then!

Offline NickTheGreek

bike won't start intermittently
« Reply #4002 on: August 03, 2020, 12:40:11 pm »
Hello all, so my DR650 has started doing something strange lately where it refuses to start occasionally. It happened the other day with the engine warm. Started fine at home, rode for about 30min, parked on level sidewalk for 6 or 7min max, got on to go home and it refused to start. I even tried push starting is - went maybe 20+m down the road with two guys pushing, second gear, clutch out and absolutely nothing happened. Engine just turned and turned but still wouldn't start, like it was getting no fuel?  I then waited about 5 min before trying again, and presto, started fine and rode all the way home no problem. Any advise much appreciated.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
Re: bike won't start intermittently
« Reply #4003 on: August 06, 2020, 10:45:55 am »
Hello all, so my DR650 has started doing something strange lately where it refuses to start occasionally. It happened the other day with the engine warm. Started fine at home, rode for about 30min, parked on level sidewalk for 6 or 7min max, got on to go home and it refused to start. I even tried push starting is - went maybe 20+m down the road with two guys pushing, second gear, clutch out and absolutely nothing happened. Engine just turned and turned but still wouldn't start, like it was getting no fuel?  I then waited about 5 min before trying again, and presto, started fine and rode all the way home no problem. Any advise much appreciated.

Emergency switch. Mine has given this kind of issue a few times. It works and then it doesn't. You swear a bit. Kick the tyre, organise alternative transport and then it starts again
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

The following users thanked this post: NickTheGreek

Offline cndavel

« Reply #4004 on: August 06, 2020, 10:53:13 am »

Emergency switch. Mine has given this kind of issue a few times. It works and then it doesn't. You swear a bit. Kick the tyre, organise alternative transport and then it starts again
True, my red emergency switch have been stuck a few times. A bit of spray-on lubricant usually sorts it out.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #4005 on: August 06, 2020, 11:43:10 am »

True, my red emergency switch have been stuck a few times. A bit of spray-on lubricant usually sorts it out.
I'm not sure, did OP use the emergency switch at the time of the problem? If not, there should not be a problem.
In which case I would rather check the sidestand switch.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline cndavel

« Reply #4006 on: August 06, 2020, 11:47:54 am »

I'm not sure, did OP use the emergency switch at the time of the problem? If not, there should not be a problem.
In which case I would rather check the sidestand switch.
Check sidestand and clutch switches... perhaps better to just disconnect them.

Offline NickTheGreek

« Reply #4007 on: August 07, 2020, 08:32:56 am »
Thanks all. I will check all my switches again, although I know for a fact that the kill switch IS faulty. However, does the kill switch not also cut power to the starter motor? In the scenario described above, all the bike electrics work (lights, etc.) and the starter motor works fine. Only the engine doesn't start. Could be another loose electrical connection I guess, although the bike has never cut out while riding before. Problem only happens when starting and only occasionally.

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #4008 on: August 10, 2020, 07:21:46 pm »
My money is on the side stand switch, too...