Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The DR650 thread  (Read 153323 times)

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
Re: The DR650 thread
« Reply #4040 on: January 27, 2021, 10:25:00 am »
Hi guys, I need some advice on oil for the Dr. I use Total quartz 7000 10 w 40 on my car and there is always enough left to do the Dr but I am not sure of its compatibility with the clutch. Inputs will be appreciated.

Don't use car oil, you will stuff up the clutch, got that T-shirt. Best oil I found was Castrol Actevo, used in all my bikes.

Agree 500% , Actevo is cheap , clutch plates not , unfortunately a lot of the car oils have friction modifiers which will destroy your clutch plates
Dux would Shell Advance AX7 10W40 or 15W50 be just as good? On a 250 aircooled quad would you say 15W50 is better than 10W40? It does slow work from time to time and then it gets hot!!

Chris just for info, I had Actevo tested a couple off years ago for use in a Rotax aircraft engine, will include the report here and some feedback from the tester. We did not test it against AX7 as we could not find a sample at that time but did against the older Shell VSX (AX7 breplaced the VSX) and Elf oil.

From the tester:

"Here is a copy of the oil report I did from the sample you provided me with. There are three separate oils on this form, the Shell VSX 15W 50, the Elf 10W 40 and the Castrol 10W 40 you supplied me. Have a look at the results and see what you think, from my perspective the Castrol product offers everything the other products do and in some ways appears to maybe be even better. "

"I agree with you, the Actevo does look better than the Elf and will stand up to temperature better as it has a higher Viscosity at 100 degrees. At this stage I still havenít been able to get a sample of the AX7."

En dis hoekom ek van Actevo hou in my plaas fietse, beter smering teen hoŽ temperature. dit gesÍ gaan tegnologie vorentoe en weet nie wat die nuwe olies sal doen nie maar heel waarskynlik beter. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:31:21 am by Bikerboer1973 »

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4041 on: January 27, 2021, 10:27:47 am »
BB wat betaal jy vir 5 liter Actevo?

Ek het n klient met n Vstrom 1000 en Bandit 1200 en hy gebruik die Shell Advance al baie jare en is groot fan daarvan. Dit wil voorkom die Shell is goedkoper as Actevo.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:29:26 am by ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS »
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #4042 on: January 27, 2021, 10:32:36 am »

Ek het n klient met n Vstrom 1000 en Bandit 1200 en hy gebruik die Shell Advance al baie jare en is groot fan daarvan. Dit wil voorkom die Shell is goedkoper as Actevo.

Niks fout met die Shell nie, ek verkies net die Actevo want ek weet nou hoe dit werk teen hoŽ temp na die toetse.

Kan nie nou onthou nie, maar pryse is maar baie dieselfde en partykeer is die Actevo goedkoper, hang af waar jy koop en of daar spesiale aanbiedings is op daai stadium.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:34:21 am by Bikerboer1973 »

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4043 on: January 27, 2021, 10:37:29 am »

Niks fout met die Shell nie, ek verkies net die Actevo want ek weet nou hoe dit werk teen hoŽ temp na die toetse.

Kan nie nou onthou nie, maar pryse is maar baie dieselfde en partykeer is die Actevo goedkoper, hang af waar jy koop en of daar spesiale aanbiedings is op daai stadium.
Sal gaan loer of ek beide in my naaste groot dorp kan kry en pryse vergelyk. Ek dink ek moet ophou die olie gebruik in my kwad waarop my hele werf se enjins loop alhoewel hy nou al jare daarop loop sonder probleme..........................vroetel n stuk hout!!(touch wood) ;)
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #4044 on: January 27, 2021, 10:39:12 am »

Sal gaan loer of ek beide in my naaste groot dorp kan kry en pryse vergelyk. Ek dink ek moet ophou die olie gebruik in my kwad waarop my hele werf se enjins loop alhoewel hy nou al jare daarop loop sonder probleme..........................vroetel n stuk hout!!(touch wood) ;)

:laughing4:

Ja al ons motors het ook altyd op OTK olie geloop, tot eendag toe besef ek my foutjie.... :o

Offline Dux

« Reply #4045 on: January 27, 2021, 04:20:31 pm »
Hi guys, I need some advice on oil for the Dr. I use Total quartz 7000 10 w 40 on my car and there is always enough left to do the Dr but I am not sure of its compatibility with the clutch. Inputs will be appreciated.

Don't use car oil, you will stuff up the clutch, got that T-shirt. Best oil I found was Castrol Actevo, used in all my bikes.

Agree 500% , Actevo is cheap , clutch plates not , unfortunately a lot of the car oils have friction modifiers which will destroy your clutch plates
Dux would Shell Advance AX7 10W40 or 15W50 be just as good? On a 250 aircooled quad would you say 15W50 is better than 10W40? It does slow work from time to time and then it gets hot!!

Chris I have used Shell Advance products in the past and been very happy , but most of the times I have used Motul which I believe to be one of the better oils on the market . In my personal bikes I use Motul 5100 , in clients bikes I use Motul 5100 and 7100 as well as Actevo , clients choice .
For you a lot will also depend on supply and in that respect the Actevo is available pretty anywhere and that is a big bonus .
Regarding viscosity I would think that 10W40 would be perfectly adequate for the quad .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Dux

« Reply #4046 on: January 27, 2021, 04:25:44 pm »

Chris just for info, I had Actevo tested a couple off years ago for use in a Rotax aircraft engine, will include the report here and some feedback from the tester. We did not test it against AX7 as we could not find a sample at that time but did against the older Shell VSX (AX7 breplaced the VSX) and Elf oil.

From the tester:

"Here is a copy of the oil report I did from the sample you provided me with. There are three separate oils on this form, the Shell VSX 15W 50, the Elf 10W 40 and the Castrol 10W 40 you supplied me. Have a look at the results and see what you think, from my perspective the Castrol product offers everything the other products do and in some ways appears to maybe be even better. "

"I agree with you, the Actevo does look better than the Elf and will stand up to temperature better as it has a higher Viscosity at 100 degrees. At this stage I still havenít been able to get a sample of the AX7."

En dis hoekom ek van Actevo hou in my plaas fietse, beter smering teen hoŽ temperature. dit gesÍ gaan tegnologie vorentoe en weet nie wat die nuwe olies sal doen nie maar heel waarskynlik beter.

Of course the Rotax 912/915 have reduction gearboxes which is why motorcycle oils are recommended .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline 1armbandit

« Reply #4047 on: January 30, 2021, 03:43:41 pm »
Got these DR650 rims that were off an accident damaged bike.
Are the fixable?
Anyone need them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taking on the world Single Handedly (literally)...

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #4048 on: February 01, 2021, 09:23:34 am »
Actevo is made in SA, maybe why it's quite affordable.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline 1armbandit

« Reply #4049 on: February 11, 2021, 07:37:03 pm »
Anyone have a stock speedometer for a 650 gathering dust? I know many replace with other digital speedometers.
Please let me know what u have

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4050 on: February 11, 2021, 07:47:14 pm »
Anyone have a stock speedometer for a 650 gathering dust? I know many replace with other digital speedometers.

I do have one which I'm unlikely to use. Give me a shout in the am.

082 (749) 3213 Frank

Offline 1armbandit

« Reply #4051 on: February 12, 2021, 01:09:45 pm »

I do have one which I'm unlikely to use. Give me a shout in the am.

082 (749) 3213 Frank
Thanks will whataapp you

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4052 on: February 21, 2021, 05:25:40 pm »

Haha, this was brought home to me last week. Thought I'd use the left-over 3 litres of Castrol GTX Ultraclean 10W-40 I had from another vehicle.

Went to town and on my way back stopped at the traffic lights with the intention of getting ahead of the pack. Started off ok until second to third took a looong time to release the clutch.

Got home and took the bakkie back to town for some Actevo. Still need to do the oil change. Hopefully the clutch is still ok.

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4053 on: February 21, 2021, 05:37:39 pm »
second to third took a looong time to release the clutch.

Slip sliding away...................................no way!!! ;) :lol8:
We have all paid school fees, I learnt my quad does not like the full synthetic my 1200 runs on!! ;D :(
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline frankmac

• Race Dog
  • You want my what??
« Reply #4054 on: February 21, 2021, 06:38:59 pm »
Haha Chris. Murphy's Law say it'll always happen when you least need it.

I had an old BMW R50 which had a leak on the crank (I believe) and used to leak oil on the clutch when it had warmed up. Nothing like trying to pass a truckload of farmworkers on a hill and then having to tuck your tail between your legs and fall back in behind them until the next downhill.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:39:42 pm by frankmac »

Offline 1armbandit

« Reply #4055 on: March 09, 2021, 09:40:10 am »
Anyone need a set of tripple clamps..
Also have a spare ignition with key if anyone interested.

They are not in perfect condition but will work. Based in Randburg JHB

Offline rowat

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Fly on the wall
« Reply #4056 on: March 11, 2021, 11:11:47 am »
Pm sent
On the outside looking in.