Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF250L Sprocket mod. Is it worth it?  (Read 526 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
CRF250L Sprocket mod. Is it worth it?
« on: August 17, 2020, 05:14:36 pm »
There are a few performance mods you can make on a Honda CRF250L. I never considered the sprocket mod as one - it will only up the revs and slow down the bike, or will it?

I recently took the plunge and bought a 2014 CRF250L with 27000km as secondish bike, and was immediately impressed. I can use it as a moderate fun bike on the farm and as general suburban runaround. For a 250L it really goes well: 153km/on the speedo down a highway hill☺

So impressed I was that I bought another one (2014) with less k's (5000km) on the clock (with the intention of selling the other one), but first some comparisons had to be done. I just got the impression that no 2 did not go as well as no 1 - it is just not as spunky. It was confirmed on a farther and son shootout. Hein on no 1 pulled away from me at top speed and I could just not catch it, despite slipstreaming and ducking the wind like mad.

Immediately I was disappointed. Maybe I should keep the higher mileage no 1 and sell the lower mileage no 2 - or maybe at 5000 km no 2 was just not run in yet?

While doing the rear suspension mod on no 2 I asked Hein to check the front sprocket size on no 2 - and to my surprize we discovered that it had a 13t front sprocket fitted instead of a 14t. It made sense as no 1 registered a higher speedo reading at the same speed as no 1 (7km/h "faster" - speed is read off the output shaft rather than on the front wheel). On a 150km outride over tar and gravel no 1 used 500ml more petrol than no 2, which I thought strange but attributed it to "better performance" (before I knew of the sprocket difference).

This boggled my mind - a smaller front sprocket should make a bike slower, shouldn't it? As luck had it I had a 13t in stock - to fit on no. 1 for farm work - and we immediately fitted it on no. 2 to compare - I had to know!

The time for rematch came when we returned from a wet railway to Darling ride this Saturday. I took no 1 (I am heavier than Hein, but no 1 is faster!) and we had a " get there first" match on the R27 back home. Don't worry anyone - you will not really break the law on a CRF250L.

So what happened? I had the faster bike and should easily win!
I gave Hein on the newer no 2 headway and sat in his slip. Surely I gained on him, but when I left his slip to pass I could get next to him before slowly falling back again. Hein is lighter (80kg odd vs 102kg), but suddenly no. 2 had the benefit - it was faster!

So, at the expense of slightly higher fuel consumption and a speedo overreading with another 7km/h, downgrading the CRF250L front sprocket from 14T to 13T in front really makes the difference. Instead of 6th gear being a relative overdrive and wind getting the overhand over horsepower, the CRF250L's engine rpm is better matched to top speed/ terminal velocity with a 13T sprocket than with a 14T. It also makes the bike feel more alive through the rev range.

There you have it. The most affordable performance mod you can do on a CRF250L.

PS. I am awaiting a EJK kit to up engine output a bit, but for now these bikes really go well for a 250...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 05:15:15 pm by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

The following users thanked this post: Jamaj

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
Re: CRF250L Sprocket mod. Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 12:01:51 pm »
Dit was 'n lekker treinspoor trippie☺
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 12:08:01 pm »
Regarding the speedo calibration.... If your speedo runs off the front wheel, the different sized sprocket will not affect your speedo, but your rpm's will be different?
‘I just get up every morning and go out. And I don’t let the old man in,’ Clint Eastwood

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 12:15:10 pm »
Regarding the speedo calibration.... If your speedo runs off the front wheel, the different sized sprocket will not affect your speedo, but your rpm's will be different?
Speedo shows speed when the rear wheel is turning while bike is on a stand, with the front wheel stationary. Speed is read off the output shaft if you ask me, so smaller sprocket = more overreading.

Offline BullFrog

• Previously Naartjie
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 12:24:48 pm »
Ah, ok....

Did not know that...
‘I just get up every morning and go out. And I don’t let the old man in,’ Clint Eastwood

Offline Ian Bean

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bean
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 12:29:58 pm »
I had crf250l and went to bigger sprocket on the back and was much better but I never did long trips on it so just wanted the low down. It does throw your speedo off if I remember correct cause speed pick up not on front wheel. Easy to change back if you dont like it.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 12:40:48 pm »
Can you remember what size you went to on the back Ian?

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »
 :sip:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 04:13:02 pm »
Mev jou bike gan wheelie met jou as jy sy sprocket kleiner maak!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 04:18:21 pm »
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 04:22:13 pm »
Mev jou bike gan wheelie met jou as jy sy sprocket kleiner maak!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:

:eek7:   :lol8:
Met bagasie en als op sal sy lekkerder trek in sesde op die ooppad met daai 13 tand. Strak effe ligter op sous ook wees.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 08:46:37 pm »

Ek het hoeka (BAIE per ongeluk) vir 'n vlietende oomblik in die Baviaans ge-wheelie.  :o 8) :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 12:11:33 pm »
Sonder vrag was die 13t CRF250L bietjie swaarder op petrol as die 14t. Die fietse het mos nie rev counters nie - een tand minder lig waarskynlik die rpm met 500rpm (ek praat onder korreksie), (standaard 8000rpm = 80mph). 

Offline ThomasT

• Bike: Honda XR125L
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:08 am »
Picked up a 2014 model for a good price a week ago and over the weekend did some checking and surprise surprise it has a 13t front sprocket with the standard rear . Also notice it has a speedohealer installed so need to just check if the speedo is accurate .
Been using it to commute to and from work and its a huge improvement of my Crf 230 😂. The Fmf pipe and header give it nice beat .

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 01:31:43 pm »
Consider this if your bike is low on power it may not be able to reach redline in top gear with the standard gearing but if you drop a tooth it may then have the power to reach redline. 

So it may well be faster if my logic is correct
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 01:47:37 pm »
That was the way with my TTR.  I could pull top gear with one tooth lower on the front.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline teebag

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2020, 02:08:59 pm »
these 250s work better with modified final drive, used a 13 but changed back to a 14 and went 48 (from stock 45) on the back

btw speed off the gearbox so you need a dongle to “fix” it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 10:48:14 am »
I fitted the EJK and it makes a nice difference. I have to compare it to the standard CRF250L (shootout), but I can feel the improvement.

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 11:52:14 am »
these 250s work better with modified final drive, used a 13 but changed back to a 14 and went 48 (from stock 45) on the back

btw speed off the gearbox so you need a dongle to “fix” it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was there any need to change the chain with the 48 at the back?
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Vis Arend

• Forum Whore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 11:53:27 am »
I fitted the EJK and it makes a nice difference. I have to compare it to the standard CRF250L (shootout), but I can feel the improvement.

Which you got where?   :patch:   :biggrin:

Would like to know the diff.   :sip: