Reviews/feedback on the BMW F850GS (GSA)…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
The 850GS is probably the mid-size adventure bike that arrived with the least fan-fare or hype!!! (There is not even a section for it on WD's!!)
I was also one of the "Nay-Sayers" - mostly due to the "Chinese made engine"; price and all the bloody "gimmicks" - which you had to take initially...

I did take two different versions on a demo ride - but came away in-convinced - 200k for a bike with a lot of shit I didn't need/want including a quick-shifter(which I hate!!)!! (Remember at its launch 200k was still expensive - now every 2nd bike is more than that!! :eek:)

Then BMW saw the light and started making available the "standard" version with everything you need, less the nonsense at an amazingly affordable price and a 5 year warranty...
I also waited in-vain for the ever promising all hyped T7, and the  CRF1100L AT was also very high on my wish-list... I even considered a 790 KTM - but given real-world feedback, pricing and Dealership issues, I decided to steer clear - biking should be a pleasure, not another "worry"!!

So now after 2000 odd k's, I'm honestly glad I took the "plunge" into the world of the invisible F850!!!

Positives:
It is bloody quick!!!
It has tons of torque - even low down!!
It has tons of character - like in "V-twin" character!!
It handles great - more like a much smaller thumper!!
It is amazingly frugal on unleaded - making the 15l tank more than adequate!!
The cruise control is great and it comes with stuff like heated grips, main stand and steering dampener - standard!!!
The simple riding modes is if not a cut above the rest, at least up with the best!! (And it stays in the selected mode - after re-start or whatever!)

The ABS is obviously as close to perfect as possible in 2020...

Yes, 2000k's is not a lot, but believe me - it was a rough 2000k's - not at all what I had in mind for my new bike!!!

Negatives:
Drive chain - noisy - (clunky)...
Timing chain noisy...
Suspension - although better than the 800, still has room for improvement...
Plastic rear rack.

To some up - after 40 000k's on a F800GSA:
This thing is much faster and way more fun, it handles as if it is half the weight, and generally just feels 10 odd years newer in technology...

In my opinion you will struggle to beat it at its price plus 30+%!!!

Attachments

• Hel1.jpg
    Hel1.jpg
    690.1 KB · Views: 903
  • Oasis3.jpg
    Oasis3.jpg
    743.5 KB · Views: 939
  • Karee.jpg
    Karee.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 927