Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Reviews/feedback on the BMW F850GS (GSA)Ö  (Read 11733 times)

Offline johanp

Re: Reviews/feedback on the BMW F850GS (GSA)Ö
« Reply #240 on: November 19, 2021, 09:43:24 pm »
Iím still on crutches, but the suspense is already killing me.  :ricky:
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline XRRX

« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2021, 08:58:51 am »
 :laughing4: :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2021, 07:04:51 pm »
Does anyone knows where my son can get a pipe made like this?

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2021, 07:06:13 pm »
Can import but not much faith in the postal service so it should be safer to support local if available
I am sure there are people out there that can make this?

Offline johanp

« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2021, 08:49:26 pm »

In Gauteng, yes. Iím probably going to ask him to make me one once Iíve got my new bike.
Doubt itíll be much cheaper, but itíll be much nicer. The guy is really passionate about welding and fabrication. 
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2021, 10:23:50 pm »

In Gauteng, yes. Iím probably going to ask him to make me one once Iíve got my new bike.
Doubt itíll be much cheaper, but itíll be much nicer. The guy is really passionate about welding and fabrication.

I would really appreciate if you can share the details, my son will probably order one with you.
Please keep me posted, pm is also good  :thumleft:

Offline johanp

« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2021, 10:33:21 pm »

I would really appreciate if you can share the details, my son will probably order one with you.
Please keep me posted, pm is also good  :thumleft:

Cool, Iíll drop you a DM.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline johanp

« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2021, 07:53:12 am »
I've spoken to him - he's extremely keen to help. He's actually an engineer with a passion for welding and fabrication, he sees it as a form of art.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline XRRX

« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2021, 08:17:29 am »
I've spoken to him - he's extremely keen to help. He's actually an engineer with a passion for welding and fabrication, he sees it as a form of art.
Make it 3 please!!!

Offline johanp

« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2021, 08:39:23 am »
Make it 3 please!!!
Cool, Iíll PM you his number.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

The following users thanked this post: XRRX

Offline Bossies_

« Reply #250 on: November 29, 2021, 02:49:31 pm »
My first adventure bike and couldnít be happierÖ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline XRRX

« Reply #251 on: November 29, 2021, 02:59:20 pm »

Awesome - congrats and Welcome on the forum!!!
May you have many happy miles and smiles!!!

:salut:

Offline johanp

« Reply #252 on: November 29, 2021, 06:14:53 pm »

Stunning!
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2021, 06:45:00 pm »
Welcome
Lekker bike!!  :drif:

Offline johanp

« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2021, 09:36:08 pm »
Heard today that Iíll be wearing this moon boot for at least another 4 weeks. Unfortunate since my brand new 850 is standing in the garage.  :'(
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #255 on: November 29, 2021, 09:38:19 pm »
Sorry to hear bud, at least the bike is in tour garage though!!
Congrats and safe travels  :thumleft:

Offline johanp

« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2021, 09:56:24 pm »
Sorry to hear bud, at least the bike is in tour garage though!!
Congrats and safe travels  :thumleft:

Thanks, yep Iíve already started adding the farkles.  :biggrin:
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline johanp

« Reply #257 on: December 10, 2021, 02:01:23 pm »
So, I've only managed to do just under 100km so far with the faulty ankle and all, but geez I'm loving this bike a lot!!

Some observations:
-The ride: It's a lot smoother than the 800 with no vibrations, it pulls stronger(more than what the specs would suggest), and I'm loving all the new toys and buttons.  :biggrin:
-Quickshifter: It takes some getting used to, but it works really well.
-Screen:The short/stock screen is really nice in town, and should be nice on dirt, but I reckon it'll be a pain on longer journeys. The wind hits me right on the neck on the "low" setting, and setting it on "high"  moves it up to my chin. Still not ideal, with quite a bit of pressure at 120+. I got a Touratech touring screen which I still need to try out. Only 4 screws, so it'll be easy to swap out before trips.
-Seat: The stock seat seems fine, and I really like the seating position. Not sure how it'll do on longer journeys, but I suspect not too well. I've ordered a Wunderlich "AKTIVKOMFORT" seat from Bling King which should hopefully arrive in January.
-Pegs: Why on earth they would spec those narrow pegs on the Rallye model is beyond me. Installed wide pegs, problem solved. Same goes for the plastic bash plate.
-BMW SA specced the metal touring luggage carrier(R4000), which is nice compared to the plastic nonsense they used to come with, but they should have rather specced the metal "top box carrier"(R2000) which I had to get anyway, so now I'm sitting with a R4000 paper weight.
-Exhaust: It's got a nicer "factory" tone than the 800 with its ridiculously muffled zorst. It comes stock with a free flow slip on, but massive resonator, but still manage to sound nice, with some pops & bangs thrown in.  ::)
Not sure if fitting a link pipe to replace the resonator would have warranty implications, I'm a bit nervous about that.
-GPS prep: Having the mount on the handlebar is a bit silly because you have to look down, and it interferes with your tank bag. Was obviously done because of the short screen.
I've fitted a GPS relocation mount which will have my Zumo XT sitting above the TFT display, I'm just waiting for some parts.

Can't wait to take it on a proper trip!!  :ricky:

BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye

Offline XRRX

« Reply #258 on: December 10, 2021, 10:27:28 pm »
So, I've only managed to do just under 100km so far with the faulty ankle and all, but geez I'm loving this bike a lot!!

Some observations:
-The ride: It's a lot smoother than the 800 with no vibrations, it pulls stronger(more than what the specs would suggest), and I'm loving all the new toys and buttons.  :biggrin:
-Screen:The short/stock screen is really nice in town, and should be nice on dirt, but I reckon it'll be a pain on longer journeys. The wind hits me right on the neck on the "low" setting, and setting it on "high"  moves it up to my chin. Still not ideal, with quite a bit of pressure at 120+. I got a Touratech touring screen which I still need to try out. Only 4 screws, so it'll be easy to swap out before trips.
-Seat: The stock seat seems fine, and I really like the seating position. Not sure how it'll do on longer journeys, but I suspect not too well. I've ordered a Wunderlich "AKTIVKOMFORT" seat from Bling King which should hopefully arrive in January.
-Pegs: Why on earth they would spec those narrow pegs on the Rallye model is beyond me. Installed wide pegs, problem solved. Same goes for the plastic bash plate.
-BMW SA specced the metal touring luggage carrier(R4000), which is nice compared to the plastic nonsense they used to come with, but they should have rather specced the metal "top box carrier"(R2000) which I had to get anyway, so now I'm sitting with a R4000 paper weight.
-Exhaust: It's got a nicer "factory" tone than the 800 with its ridiculously muffled zorst. It comes stock with a free flow slip on, but massive resonator, but still manage to sound nice, with some pops & bangs thrown in.  ::)
Not sure if fitting a link pipe to replace the resonator would have warranty implications, I'm a bit nervous about that.
-GPS prep: Having the mount on the handlebar is a bit silly because you have to look down, and it interferes with your tank bag. Was obviously done because of the short screen.
I've fitted a GPS relocation mount which will have my Zumo XT sitting above the TFT display, I'm just waiting for some parts.

Awesome - congrats and many many happy miles and  ;D
 :wav:

That seat stays comfortable - even after a 1014km in it - s'true! :thumleft:

Offline johanp

« Reply #259 on: December 11, 2021, 07:39:03 am »

Some observations:

Awesome - congrats and many many happy miles and  ;D
 :wav:

That seat stays comfortable - even after a 1014km in it - s'true! :thumleft:
Thanks!

Must say, so far it does feel much more comfortable than the stock 800 ironing board.
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin (RIP)
BMW F850GS Rallye