Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ideal size motorbike for an Africa trip  (Read 1490 times)

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Ideal size motorbike for an Africa trip
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2020, 10:21:25 am »
:laughing4:

But back on track, and my 2c....

I traveled to mid-Kenya and back to SA many years ago, with my cousin, bith on XT500s - we wanted R80GS's, but didnt have the cash for them, so we settled for what we could afford. We didnt know what we didnt know, we didnt know there was such a thicg as "Adventure Biking" - we just wanted to ride bikes through Africa, o we built some steel pannier racks and planned for years, got fed up with planning and left. We were gone for 10 months on the most perfect bikes available - that we knew of anyway. We both still have our XT's, 26 years after we returned....
This is all hearsay, I've seen no hard proof of trip actually happenning!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
Thinking back all of us should have done something like that just after we came out of the army. :deal: :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2020, 10:31:34 am »
:laughing4:

But back on track, and my 2c....

I traveled to mid-Kenya and back to SA many years ago, with my cousin, bith on XT500s - we wanted R80GS's, but didnt have the cash for them, so we settled for what we could afford. We didnt know what we didnt know, we didnt know there was such a thicg as "Adventure Biking" - we just wanted to ride bikes through Africa, o we built some steel pannier racks and planned for years, got fed up with planning and left. We were gone for 10 months on the most perfect bikes available - that we knew of anyway. We both still have our XT's, 26 years after we returned....
This is all hearsay, I've seen no hard proof of trip actually happenning!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
Thinking back all of us should have done something like that just after we came out of the army. :deal: :thumleft:

Fork - I was even conned into it - albeit willingly....
My cousin wanted to hitch-hike through Africa. That only got as far as the Parental Vetto....
Next option was a vehicle, and we only had access to a Nissan 1400, which we thought was pretty doable.
Then my cousin read Ted Simmons book and it was decided.
The Parental Veto was once again applied, in that he was not allowed to go alone.
So I got dragged into the fight - I lived with them at that point - I want kicking & screaming, it must be noted....

First pic - our XT's when we left CT in Feb 1994
Second pic - my XT in Harare in November 1994
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline BullFrog

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2020, 10:34:30 am »
Proper pannier frames there, Steve!!!!  :thumright:
‘I just get up every morning and go out. And I don’t let the old man in,’ Clint Eastwood

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2020, 11:11:02 am »
Proper pannier frames there, Steve!!!!  :thumright:

Ja, if you dont know what you dont know hey.....?  ;)
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline fixit

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2020, 05:33:33 pm »
Dream tour Steve! You will remember that trip for the rest of your life.
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2020, 05:50:50 pm »
Michnus: - If I was to change my current motorbike I would choose… Husky 701, it is less than 200 kg weight with good suspension and Fi and a good reliable bike. Although it costs a bit to convert to overland travel form.

I wonder why Michnus chooses the Husky 701 over the KTM690 for an Africa trip? The Husky is a nervous bike with hard suspension while the 690 Enduro is more suited for long distance relaxed riding?
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Online Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2020, 06:05:20 pm »
Michnus: - If I was to change my current motorbike I would choose… Husky 701, it is less than 200 kg weight with good suspension and Fi and a good reliable bike. Although it costs a bit to convert to overland travel form.

I wonder why Michnus chooses the Husky 701 over the KTM690 for an Africa trip? The Husky is a nervous bike with hard suspension while the 690 Enduro is more suited for long distance relaxed riding?
I was wondering about that too. Also the conversation to adventure bike that can take luggage will cost a fair bit if you cannot do it yourself.

For my style of riding I’d probably go with an 800 GS/GSA. The bits that might require maintenance I can handle and accessories are freely available.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2020, 02:09:32 am »
If I was in the position to do a trans Africa trip i would have done it on a 660Z.
I would also be perfect happy on a XR250L (Not the Rally)