Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: SOLO trip: Cape Town to Kigali (Rwanda)  (Read 569 times)

Offline HosTokkelos

• Bike: BMW F800GS
SOLO trip: Cape Town to Kigali (Rwanda)
« on: September 03, 2020, 09:47:45 pm »
Hi, glad I finally decided to make an account and not just read about all the exciting adventures.

If by some chance the borders open in the near future, I will have the opportunity to go and work in Rwanda for 6 months (perhaps starting early December). Given the forum, you can already think where my head is going with this - Maybe I should drive up and then drive down once I am finished? Renting a vehicle there is out of the question (cheapest I could find was $600 pm).

I was hoping to get advice on roads, accommodation, distances and perhaps general do-ability as a solo trip. I am especially worried about Tanzania as I heard there is quite some tension up there (fake news or real?). Furthermore, what options are there to go from Iringa to Kigali...

I have a 2013 F800GSA with 43000km on the clock, topbox and panniers. So camping isnt out of the question, but if I can avoid it, it means I have a lot less to pack.

The plan is to be in Kigali in 20 days. So I have 2-3 days to play with in my planned route (find attached as well)

Day      Start      Finish      KM
1   -   Cape Town   -   Hondeklipbaai   -   535
2   -   Hondeklipbaai   -   Helmeringshausen   -   666
3   -   Helmeringshausen   -   Windhoek   -   550
4   -   Windhoek   -   Namatoni Camp   -   565
5   -   Namatoni Camp   -   Namatoni Camp   -   100
6   -   Namatoni Camp   -   Ndhovu Safari Lodge   -   650
7   -   Ndhovu Safari Lodge   -   Lingstone   -   540
8   -   Lingstone   -   Lusaka   -   500
9   -   Lusaka   -   Croc Valley Camp   -   580
10   -   Croc Valley Camp   -   Ngala Beach Lodge -   500
11   -   Ngala Beach Lodge Rooms   -   Karonga   -   380
12   -   Karonga   -   Utengule   -   160
13   -   Utengule   -   River Valley Camp   -   360
14   -   River Valley Camp   -   Dodoma   -   272

Appreciate any advice

Online caconcepts

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
Re: SOLO trip: Cape Town to Kigali (Rwanda)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 07:06:31 am »
This might help, current information.....

https://overlandsphere.com/overland-forum/ and check out the iOverlander App.
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge, WR450F, GS 1200 Rallye

Offline Crankshaft

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 07:55:34 am »
Sterkte met jou beplanning, ons volg graag O0 :thumleft: :ricky:
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
Current: WR 450F & KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 11:04:23 am »
Looks amazing!

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 11:10:15 am »
Hoekom Helmeringhausen en dan Windhoek vanaf Hondeklipbaai. En gaan jy oor Sendelingsdrift oor die grens.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline HosTokkelos

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 11:19:24 am »
Hoekom Helmeringhausen en dan Windhoek vanaf Hondeklipbaai. En gaan jy oor Sendelingsdrift oor die grens.

Ek het eintlik op hierdie webwerf afgekom waar hulle iets soortgelyk doen en gedink dit lyk soos n lekker roete in terme van afstand:
https://www.gravel-travel.com/tour-description/kapstadt-windhoek-tour-2016-17.html

Ek beoog om deur Vioolsdrift deur die grens te gaan.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 11:26:42 am »

Ek het eintlik op hierdie webwerf afgekom waar hulle iets soortgelyk doen en gedink dit lyk soos n lekker roete in terme van afstand:
https://www.gravel-travel.com/tour-description/kapstadt-windhoek-tour-2016-17.html

Ek beoog om deur Vioolsdrift deur die grens te gaan.
OK ek sien nou daai roete, maar as jy alreeds in Hondeklipbaai is kan jy maar aanhou Kleinzee toe dan Port Nolloth en Alexanderbaai en daar oor die grens gaan en dan Rosh Pinah toe. Vandaar Aus toe en dan Helmeringhuazen en dan Windhoek toe.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 11:40:20 am »
Looks doable....

Only issue you may have is getting into the Etosha - Namatomi -  pretty sure they wont let you in on a bike, its one of the regs......

Distances look OK?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 11:41:36 am »
The km per day you have shown maybe be doable but I am guessing you won't see as much as you would like to and regret it later.

If it was me I would spend more time and maybe do 300km a day at most except for the desolate parts

Just a thought....
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:42:06 am by DavidMorrisXp »
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 11:55:29 am »
Looks doable....

Only issue you may have is getting into the Etosha - Namatomi -  pretty sure they wont let you in on a bike, its one of the regs......

Distances look OK?
Yes they will not. Might have to use one of the campsites near. Also make use of a game drive by one of them. A friend said it's the best R500 he had spent on his Namibian trip. The drivers knows where the animals are and they speak to each other via radio to let them know of large lion numbers or elephant  or whatever you want to see.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline HosTokkelos

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 12:10:08 pm »
Looks doable....

Distances look OK?
Yes they will not. Might have to use one of the campsites near. Also make use of a game drive by one of them. A friend said it's the best R500 he had spent on his Namibian trip. The drivers knows where the animals are and they speak to each other via radio to let them know of large lion numbers or elephant  or whatever you want to see.

For R500 that is a bargain! Thanks, this is really good advice. I saw this as being my first "rest" day. Also, it terms of distances, I do have an extra few days I can use if I feel like I want to be a bit more relaxed. There is also coming back after the 6 months if I missed out ;D

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 12:11:56 pm »
For R500 that is a bargain!

That was about three years ago so expect to be more now. Google campsites near Etosha. They will have price info.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 08:11:06 am »
For R500 that is a bargain!

That was about three years ago so expect to be more now. Google campsites near Etosha. They will have price info.

Definitely your best option.

I was in Etosha in November a few years back - it was over 40degC every day, high of 46degC - and its windy then with no rain. The animals are at the waterholes at this time as there is no water anywhere else, and very little grazing. The waterhole in the Fort Namutoni camp which is amazing at night, maybe you could get a taxi/lift into the camp and get a chalet for 2 nights, its really worth it!

My best camp was far west, Olifantsrus, but its camping only, and has THE most amazing viewing hide built into a waterhole.....  >:D
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline calabash

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 11:54:03 am »
Please keep in the loop. Might join you from Lusaka for a bit

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 05:38:47 pm »
HosTokkelos, kyk ook op die 4x4 website https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/ daar is baie oor overlanding en blyplekke.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 02:14:13 pm »
@Ruan 87   ry redelik dikwels (voel dit vir my) op en af tussen SA en Congo, hy sal ook vir jou raad kan gee
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 10:19:18 am »
Following this.. Rwanda is on my bucket list.. last time I went up that way we turned right at the top of lake Malawi.. next time I want to follow the rift for sure.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline King Louis

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 02:48:36 pm »
Too many klicks per day for my liking. From experience, expect to double the time for the same distance you do in SA. Unless you want to hammer through every single day, but you won't see or appreciate anything. Speed restrictions and road conditions will slow you down. No bikes into Etosha. For accomm. and touring in Etosha, contact Gerd: +264813104741. Keep some USD (the newer, the better) in small notes handy. Get x-border docs ready, if bike is financed, otherwise colour copies of original reg. docs. Write ride report, post that and pics. Enjoy! :ricky:

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 08:31:08 pm »
I agree with Chris, you may want to reconsider your route through Namibia.
You need to find the sweet spot between covering kilometers, and seeing places.

If you plan on staying at Ndhuvo Safari lodge, also investigate Ngepi camp, good prices and facilities.  The road after the Caprivi, in the Zambia side is bad with potholes.
At Livingstone you have multiple good options: Zambezi Waterfront / Waterfront campsite if you want to camp, or Jollyboys backpackers if you just want to spend the night.
From Livingstone to Lusaka is just a Drive-and-get-it-done day, lots of traffic (especially in Lusaka) and speedhumps wherever there are people living.  Try Eureka just before the city (see some animals in the camp site), or Pioneer camp past the city on the great East Road (the road you will be taking towards Malawi).  There are many Backpackers / B&B options within the city, but it is not the type of city you want to spend too much time in...
It is then a full day drive from Lusaka to Chipata.  Petauke is the half way stop shoul you need to get fuel or sleep half way (that road doesn't offer much other than scenery).  Luangwa river bridge lodge is also an option, but not much to see o do other than a safe place to sleep. (everywhere is safe, but you do not want to pitch a tent everywhere)
Instead of Croc Valley, rather just stay at Mama Rulas in Chipata.
From Lusaka it is a full day's drive to Chipata, and if their has been any rain, the roads to Croc valley are too wet (from Chipata to Croc valley can take almost a day in the wet season)
Croc valley is great if you have some time on hand (or will be staying for 2 nights, and going for game drives, but as a sleep over, it is too far out of your way)
From Chipata, head to Mzuzu - Nkhata bay (Mayoka village)

PM me is you have any specific questions.

PS: have fun, it will be easier than you think to travel those parts of Africa.
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.