SOLO trip: Cape Town to Kigali (Rwanda)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi, glad I finally decided to make an account and not just read about all the exciting adventures.

If by some chance the borders open in the near future, I will have the opportunity to go and work in Rwanda for 6 months (perhaps starting early December). Given the forum, you can already think where my head is going with this - Maybe I should drive up and then drive down once I am finished? Renting a vehicle there is out of the question (cheapest I could find was $600 pm).

I was hoping to get advice on roads, accommodation, distances and perhaps general do-ability as a solo trip. I am especially worried about Tanzania as I heard there is quite some tension up there (fake news or real?). Furthermore, what options are there to go from Iringa to Kigali...

I have a 2013 F800GSA with 43000km on the clock, topbox and panniers. So camping isnt out of the question, but if I can avoid it, it means I have a lot less to pack.

The plan is to be in Kigali in 20 days. So I have 2-3 days to play with in my planned route (find attached as well)

Day Start Finish KM
1 - Cape Town - Hondeklipbaai - 535
2 - Hondeklipbaai - Helmeringshausen - 666
3 - Helmeringshausen - Windhoek - 550
4 - Windhoek - Namatoni Camp - 565
5 - Namatoni Camp - Namatoni Camp - 100
6 - Namatoni Camp - Ndhovu Safari Lodge - 650
7 - Ndhovu Safari Lodge - Lingstone - 540
8 - Lingstone - Lusaka - 500
9 - Lusaka - Croc Valley Camp - 580
10 - Croc Valley Camp - Ngala Beach Lodge - 500
11 - Ngala Beach Lodge Rooms - Karonga - 380