Shaken but not stirred...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
November 2018 I joined a group of crazy Welshmen for a weekend adventure. It was organized by Nick Plumb (https://nickplumb.co.uk), then owner of Touratech UK.

Arriving at the rendezvous point on Saturday morning, it became clear that we were out of place. Nick and his friends are all either past or present desert racers and I’m the only crazy person that brought a pillion. Nonetheless we received a warm welcome and some good natured advice about riding in Whales.

It was a beautiful day in Whales with the sun shining over emerald green mountains. The ride was spirited but enjoyable with a good mix of b-roads and gravel. Shortly before breakfast we took a left turn onto one of those hedged b-roads and before I knew what happened, Lereze and I were flat on our backs watching the bike slide away from us.

I was warned to steer clear of wet mossy leaves and honestly thought I did OK up to this point. While making the turn I hit a small patch that sent the bike sideways. These welsh leaves are as slippery as shower gel on a tile floor. I recovered from the slide but had drifted to the opposite side of the road, near the hedge, filled with wet decomposing leaves. Nick who was right behind us asked what happened since he too thought I recovered from the slide but that second patch took the bike out from under us. We were only doing about 30mp/h and apart from a twisted knee we were both fine.

We had a hearty breakfast a while later and headed into the mountains for some more exploring. But here’s the catch...for the rest of that weekend I was a nervous wreck. I kept waiting for the front to wash out again...

My question, how long does it take to wipe such incident from ones memory? Even now, back on a 1200 that I’m most comfortable riding, I find myself holding back in corners expecting to loose control again. I think it has to do with having my wife with me that day because it certainly wasn’t my first fall.

Maybe it’s time I leave Lereze at home, put on all the body armor and spend a weekend bonding with Knormoer.

Attachments

• file-7.jpg
    file-7.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 466