Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 390 Adventure?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
Re: KTM 390 Adventure?
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 01:27:59 pm »
I heard that Alfie Cox has them on a special at R79k?
Don't know if that was for their demo units though....
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Fransw

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 01:30:48 pm »
Tubeless? :thumleft:

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 01:31:58 pm »
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Fransw

Online Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2020, 01:42:46 pm »
I know KTM Durban said they could do a brand new unit for R87k. Im always wary of buying demo KTM,s  :pot:
Pass this way once!

Online Battlestar

• Forum Whore
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2020, 01:49:06 pm »
I know KTM Durban said they could do a brand new unit for R87k. Im always wary of buying demo KTM,s  :pot:
Speak to Baron KTM Durban. Very lekker guy to deal with  :thumleft:
Pass this way once!

Offline Minxy

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2020, 08:50:40 pm »
Ok.... Looking at a lighter bike in the 400 - 500 range.

So far the closest would be the 390 Adventure... Let's have your comments please?

Have a word with @Minxy, Tom. I see she posted riding the 390 on FB

https://www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/posts/10158808565231972

I'll post reply soon, just SUPER busy at work :D

I've been very fortunate the last while and got to try this as well as the 790S. I must say I was the most excited about trying this one haha!

So, it looks almost identical to the 790, minus the belly :D It has the same tablet type interface and features as the 790S (MTC, ABS, also Street and Offroad modes). Honestly you get a lot of big bike features on this small bike.

I am 1.76m and sit quite comfortably without feeling cramped. We did around 250km for the day and I also didn't feel tired. On the tar we got a max speed of about 155km, offroad 145km on a really smooth dirt road. A comfortable speed on tar was 130km. A big concern for me was the wheels. I did slow down quite a bit for all the obstacles, I would not want to jump this bike with these wheels :D Also I must mention the suspension. It was surprisingly fine on the tweespoor roads, agile, nimble, lekker to throw around in corners. It was not bad in the sand either, (also considering it has 19" front wheel). Where it did come short was on the shitty corrugated/ bumpy dirt roads. You can feel that 170mm of travel just isn't going to cut it. So yes, I found myself taking these roads much slower than usual. The problem here is if you are riding along and get surprised by a ditch or whatever, you are going to have a bad time. The bike does not have a steering stabilizer either, so the focus was really not high speed dirt road riding when they built it.

Overall I really did like it though. It was FUN!!! Would I buy one? Not as it is, because it just isn't offroad focused enough for what I like to do. It had me thinking though there is a huge gap in the smaller adv bike market. There were SO many riders, and not just ladies either asking me about this bike. If they build a decent "R" version to make it a bit more versatile, I would probably get one. People who don't mind taking things slow or aren't toooooo offroad focused should enjoy this one though.  It can also be a fun bike for a novice to learn on, then move onto something bigger when they are ready. A great bike for a lady who is starting out as well because it really isn't intimidating, or even just to use as a nifty little commuter.

*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

The following users thanked this post: roxenz, @offroad

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 06:43:19 pm »
I had a look at the 390 Adventure in Bloem today, and was quite impressed with the quality . Cable clutch which I like. Service access to oil filter and air filter is easy.
On the weight issue, it felt really lekker and would be great for a toppie like me, who's getting older and not-so-fit anymore!
The bike looks quite "short" in length, but obviously would be more manueverable in tight situations.
My type of riding is not so much on technical terrain anymore, so I reckon the rims should be ok, although I'm still wary of tubeless "mags" (coming from an old school bike.)
(I've still got my CRF230 for heavy technical terrain)
Cruising speeds of up to 120-130kph are fine with me. Fuel consumption seems good, giving a range of around 400km per tank.

I still like the CRF 250 Rally, but the cruising speed is a little low for longer trips. (The Honda 250 Rally is on special at R68k now.)

What do do? :o :patch:
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline HAMSTER

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 07:08:07 am »
Me thinks you are a Honda man  ;D

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin ....
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 07:56:39 am »
@Minxy hijack on, where is this track ? I recognize the Loodswaai parts and Rhenosterkop but not this one.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Minxy

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 09:11:14 am »
@Minxy hijack on, where is this track ? I recognize the Loodswaai parts and Rhenosterkop but not this one.

This is in the Rhenosterkop area as well, pm me your email address and I can forward you the route.
*              ★.`.★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★.`.★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 06:07:52 pm »
My next question is how soon does the fancy electronic display have to be upgraded?
My Garmin Zumo 400 is apparently now obsolete and can't be upgraded any more.

I keep my bikes a long time and my concern is that I'll be charged an arm and a leg for upgrade /replacement....
What's the expected lifespan of all this sophistication?
Can the bike run if the display fails and I'm in the middle of nowhere?  :patch:
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 08:31:42 pm »
My next question is how soon does the fancy electronic display have to be upgraded?

I keep my bikes a long time and my concern is that I'll be charged an arm and a leg for upgrade /replacement....
Can the bike run if the display fails and I'm in the middle of nowhere?  :patch:

This is a Indian KTM thread, what are you asking about keeping a bike for a long time? :imaposer:

Offline Tommy Transalp

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 09:09:26 pm »
I'm hoping to find out if KTM backup is consistent and for how long?

... At least they've got bikes to see and ride!..... Haven't seen a real life T7 yet!
And the supposed price of the Yamaha is rediculously over the top... Looks like they want money up front before they import anything?.... Promises like the Anc?  O0
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2020, 06:27:09 am »
I have not Ridden this 390 Adventure yet but I have ridden the 390 duke, and the power comparison to me is much in the same as the DRZ400 and that is still the bike that I rate as the best duel sports bike out there , if you can find them at a good price
I have sat on the 390 Adventure and found it to be tall , but then I like a tall bike.

I think its a far better bike than any of the other manufacturers have on offer, but then my blood runs orange as well.

the honda crf 450 L is way under powerd  25 HP and for 3 HP less you may as well have the crf 250L 22 HP with better mpg and service intervals.

KTM 390 HP 43
DRZ 400 HP  48
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Online Battlestar

• Forum Whore
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2020, 07:31:39 am »

The display doesnt work off an "operating software" like a cell phone,tablet or gps. There maybe upgrades to features in the future but no "operating software" updates per se. Basically dont worry about  :thumleft:
Pass this way once!

Online Battlestar

• Forum Whore
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 07:34:17 am »
Keep an eye on this You Tube link

This chap really has great, informative ,honest reviews and tests. He will test ride this machine proper  :thumleft:
Pass this way once!

Online Battlestar

• Forum Whore
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2020, 03:05:51 pm »
Video now available. Very good review 👍
Pass this way once!

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2020, 03:38:53 pm »

Quote from: Grumpleton on September 11, 2020, 06:27:09 am

>the honda crf 450 L is way under powerd  25 HP and for 3 HP less you may as well have the crf 250L 22 HP with better mpg and service intervals.

True,but in the next couple of weeks, I BELIEVE Honda  SA will release FIFTY CRF450Ls into the SA market, all of which will have the American spec and American ECUs fitted, with a truly massive increase in power; uncorcked indeed!
But I get your comments;VERY interesting bike the 390...
Cheers
Chris

bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2020, 04:00:09 pm »
"Because it's a KTM we expect performance to be better than on a comparable bike from another brand"

KTM has sort of dug themselves into a bit of a hole with their "ready to race" slogan, and it looks like they are finding that that mantra is costing them reliability.

This test on the 390, while good, is only over a "couple of hundred Kays", and even on the 790, riders managed that before the gremlins struck.

In fact, even a Chinese thing may survive a few hundred kays with "everything thrown at it"

As you can see, I am sceptical. As I was with the GS310, which turned out rubbish, despite it being declared by a SA tester as the best there is.........