Weekend Valley Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyg

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Chang Jiang (all models)
Put it out on our WhatsApp group on the Monday that I was planning a ride for Saturday. Got 5 responders and we met at Engen Garage Saturday morning at 08h00. Roger ,Grant, Clive, Simon, Dean and myself. 2 x KLRs, 2 x KTMs, 1 x Yamaha 660 and 1 x Suzuki DRZ400
Set out to inanda dam wall and over the bridge over the umgeni river. Hit the dirt to the left up to Mshazi. Grant's GPS found us some great dirt all the way to Shembe Holy Mountain.
I'd stated that I was taking the boerie grid and we would braai on the way. Between Mshazi and Shembe Mountain I felt the cooler bag sliding up against my back and started slowing down. As I stopped it fell off. Beers shaken not stirred but no damage. Restrapped it properly and carried on.
Got to the Shembe road and was pretty rutted and technical in sections. Arrived at the top eventually and took the guys to the Shembe Cross. Headed back along the flat top of the mountain and stopped to refresh and braai. It is dead flat on top and in different parts lots of rocks sticking out of the ground.
We found a perfect rock formation with a nice hollow section and got the fire going. Lekker boerie braai and some ice cold black labels. We are sitting there and we see a bike roaring along the gravel track which was about 500 meters away. Eventually see it is an African chap wearing a skirt of skins , a Shembe shirt and no helmet. He sees us in the distance and waves and carrys on down the mountain. We see him stop about 2ks down and he does a u turn and comes back up the Mountain. Stops where he waved at us and gets off his bike SR250
Picks something up and then heads across the field towards us. Gets to us and he is not even wearing shoes, nothing,nada,just bare feet.
Introduces himself and says he loves Motorcycles. We asked why he came back up the Mountain and he says dropped his cellphone when he waved at us.? we give him a boerie roll and the man is so happy. Asks for our number as he wants to try and buy an adventure bike and join our group. Clive gave him a number but I thinks it was his wife's.put the fire out and carried onto Bhamshela. Through Bhamshela and headed out towards Warburg. Stopped at an intersection and Roger said the front brake on his DRZ had faded badly and he was worried about any steep dirt. Dean is from Pietermaritzburg and was getting low on fuel so they rode back together.
The 4 of us then went past Warburg and found some really awesome tracks into the valley to Nagle Dam and back into the valley to come back to Inanda dam. 6 hour ride but was awesome.
Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG-20200907-WA0055.jpg
    IMG-20200907-WA0055.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG-20200907-WA0053.jpg
    IMG-20200907-WA0053.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG-20200907-WA0051.jpg
    IMG-20200907-WA0051.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG-20200907-WA0052.jpg