Leo does the cherry Festival

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Not really a ride report, but thought I'd share  :thumleft:

Decided to visit the well know cherry festival in Ficksburg this past weekend. We had our Xmas party at the office on Friday, so Ms Leo left on her own Friday morning and I followed with Honey early Sat morning.

At the Blockhouse there was a slight drizzle and this was pretty much par of the course till I got to Rosendal, where a mate of mine had recently bought a house and was going to be our base for the night. I have said many times before and I'll say it again, I'll rather do 200 km sand than 10 km mud, so I stuck to the black stuff all the way. 

Once in Rosendal I had a quick rooibos, and then we headed for the renowned cherry festival. First up was a tour to a cherry farm where we would pick some cherry's and eat some cake made of cherry's. Well we should have realised that something was fishy when we were all asked to get into a minibus taxi. At least we were suppoorting the local infrastructure, so I didn't really matter - neither the french speaking family on the back seat. Anyhow we set of in the minibus which fortunately could not go faster than 50 km/h for the cherry farm. One and a half hours later we were somewhere on a gravel road when I decided to check with the driver if he actually knew where he was going as he seemed unsure. As it turned out he had no clue, so we called the organizers and got the directions.

Never though I'd do gravel in a minibus  :mwink:

IMG_8170_.jpg

Our driver cooking it at 10km/h on gravel  :-[

IMG_8173_.jpg

At least the scenery was awesum

IMG_8175_.jpg

Weary travellers getting out of da bus

IMG_8177_.jpg

We eventually got to the farm and there was zero cherrys to pick  :-[

IMG_8179_.jpg

My mate who had refused to ride in the taxi, fortunately, took us back to Ficksburg in his Nisan Patrol - 20 minutes to get back  :ricky:

At the festival they were displaying these magnificent creatures - Fries Horses - truly magnificent animals

IMG_8182_.jpg

This is the champion  apparently was recently imported from Holland for R1.5m

IMG_8193_.jpg

Check this one with white socks  :thumleft:

IMG_8194_.jpg

After the horses we headed for the beergarden to watch the boks fcuk up the pommies before we headed back to Rosendal to go check a Karen Zoid unplugged show at the Rosendal theatre

IMG_8247_.jpg

IMG_8248_.jpg

One of her best show's - really small, I'd say 80 people max and an awesum performance by this talented artist.

BTW we did get a refund for our R120 per person cherry tour, so kudu's to the organizers  ;)

Not sure I'll go again -  maybe, but make it more bike orientated. Today coming back - stuck to the black stuff after all the rain last night, so a pretty uneventful bike tour  :mwink:

Sorry for wasting your time to read all thiscrap  :deal: