Rider down, Friday on Allandale Rd - What would cause this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquatic

Race Dog
Reaction score
Buderim, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
After leaving Plottie and Gryshond at Blackwoods on Friday, I made my way home N1 south and then on to Allandale.

As I came over the one hill I come across 2 cars and a bike next to the road. So I pulled of to see if I could help.

There was John(I think) lying with his left knee cap looking like it had been chopped in 2 with a panga. And yet no blood!

I asked what happened and he said he was going along at ±90kph when the bike started to wobble. He said he couldn't control it and went down.

The lady that was just behind him said he was going along when all of a sudden he started swerving left to right and then he went down.

The picture is of his font wheel.
Is it possible that a rim could just buckle like that while riding? If yes, what would could be the cause/s?

I suspect he got a front puncture which caused the wobble and the damage was done in the fall.

Anyone with ideas on the possible cause?
And besides falling off, what is the safest, quickest and easiest way to stop, from speed, with a front puncture?

Attachments

• 21112008.jpg
    21112008.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 266