Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Chainsaw training for volunteers  (Read 236 times)

Offline PapaDragon

Chainsaw training for volunteers
« on: September 23, 2020, 09:19:51 pm »
For a number of years now, a group of volunteers have been doing alien invasive pine tree eradication in the Drakensberg.

The main issue with the pinus patula invasion in the 'Berg, apart from being an alien invasive species in a proclaimed wilderness area, is the change of the grassland to pine forest, which has a major negative impact on the water catchment.

We have evolved from a couple of guys/gals with machetes and bowsaws, to a fairly well organised group of volunteers, using battery chainsaws, radios, rope access equipment etc.

We meet approximately 4 times a year for a long weekend, and have made very good progress, especially in the Monk's Cowl area, but in other areas as well.
Recently been given the go ahead from KZN Wildlife to use battery operated chainsaws, and I would like to see current and potential chainsaw users being given some sort of basic training in chainsaw technique and safety.

Bearing in mind that we are all volunteers, give up our time, pay our own fuel costs, etc.. it would be great if someone could point me in the direction to get training like this either pro bono, or at a very reduced rate..

If it makes a difference we are currently using Stihl products, because they suit our purpose best in terms of efficiency/weight (in other words lighter to carry the chainsaw up the mountain  ;D )

Most of us are based in KZN, PMB and DBN areas..

Thanks

https://web.facebook.com/pinebusters
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things that you didn't do, than the things you did. Mark Twain

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
Re: Chainsaw training for volunteers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:58:49 pm »
I will try and get this thread to the attention of old ex Wild dog member @slashback

He is your guy.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

The following users thanked this post: PapaDragon

Offline CliveG

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 08:40:01 pm »

I was about to volunteer and bring my collection of chainsaws, but then saw you have to use a boring battery powered thing. Youtube you can get plenty good info.

After you learnt the right ways, do watch "chainsaw fails" then you will learn a lot more of what not to do.

Take care, don't take chances, if you not sure, leave it.
Husqvarna Nuda 900, BMW R80 GS, BMW G650 X Country, 2016 Beta 300 X Trainer,
Ducati 900 Darmah SSD, Ducati 900 SS, Ducati 900 Darmah SD, Ducati 860, Norton 750 Commander, Triton 650, Suzuki T500, Yamaha RZ500 x 2, Yamaha RD350YPVS, Yamaha RD350 air cooled,  Yamaha RT360 x 2.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.
Frank Zappa

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 09:50:18 pm »
Why not petrol chainsaws? Environmental issues?
More details as to when how and cost to the volunteers?

Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline valkerieforever

• Bike: BMW R850GS
  • Between the Smoke and Mirrors
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 07:00:00 am »

I am curios as well. I would assume it might be due to fire-risk. The petrol chainsaws do not have flash arresters, same issue as the older quads. I would LOVE to take part in something like this. I have a petrol chainsaw and have cut down a fair number of black wattle and eucalyptus trees in and around the neighbourhood.

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:57:19 pm »

I am curios as well. I would assume it might be due to fire-risk. The petrol chainsaws do not have flash arresters, same issue as the older quads. I would LOVE to take part in something like this. I have a petrol chainsaw and have cut down a fair number of black wattle and eucalyptus trees in and around the neighbourhood.

Issues as mentioned above, and the noise factor in the wilderness area..

Valkerie, would be great to have you on board, we have some people who come down from GP.. If you are keen to get involved, please contact me on 082 three three 4 6122

Thanks for the interest guys..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things that you didn't do, than the things you did. Mark Twain

Offline RrP

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:19:55 pm »
https://www.kwamahlati.co.za/ these chaps have training courses for
the forestry industry am sure they can help you.