Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Triumph Thunderbird - opinions / experiences  (Read 465 times)

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Formerly known as Lycan
Triumph Thunderbird - opinions / experiences
« on: September 27, 2020, 06:15:41 pm »
Seeing that the cruiser related threads have been getting some attention,  and that a lot of dogs own and have real life experience with different cruiser bikes....I would like to hear what you guys think

I have been toying with the idea of adding a second bike to my stable....problem is that I would like a different type / kind of bike to my current air-cooled SOHC 1200GSA. The GSA  has been and still is very good to me, and I love riding with the standard stupid grin on my face everytime. When thinking of what bike I could add, the trouble is finding something different that the GSA might not be able to do....

Currently I don't like the feel of pocket rockets, and the GSA makes a mean naked bike. Thus, the cruiser idea has started growing on me the past few weeks.

A whole new world has opened up to me, and I have been reading and window shopping a lot. The cruiser related threads have lead to more insight. After a lot of web shopping and watching reviews I have come to the conclusion and insight that I really like the way the Triumph Thunderbird looks...especially 2010 onwards.

I like the idea and look of this "muscle cruiser", and those Triumph alien eyes. It further looks occasional pillion friendly. From the reviews it appears to have good brakes, maneuverability and character.

Do any of you have experience with Thunderbirds, or opinions?
Are they diy maintenance friendly?

Thanks
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
Re: Triumph Thunderbird - opinions / experiences
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 01:09:30 pm »
firstly, it's not a Harley or an Indian, that being said, in the 4 years I spent in a Triumph shop, it was the bike I borrowed the most. absolutely love it.

Personally I prefer the Commander to the LT but it is a personal choice.  I never got to do any maintenance on them, never needed to.  One thing that did stand out was that it has a particular engine sound at times, like there is a tappet loose, but it is what they are, it isn't a problem, I asked, multiple times!  Also go for the later models, after the Storm, then they were all 1700cc engines.  The earlier ones were 1600cc.

I did a number of rides on them, the longest was about 500km, a large % of them were 2 up.  The suspension is not the softest out there and the pillion will get the worst of it, but Me, I was comfy.  I had a client with an LT, he toured extensively with his.

On cruisers in general, they tend to have quite a bit of torque and they accelerate quite well, but you are limited in lean angle and will need to learn to drive it a little differently to an adventure bike, some of them tend to turn in quite quickly due to the rake of the front forks.   Some will come with a BIG windscreen, which is all good until the wind blows.  Triumph has a screen with a quick release fitting so you can ride with a screen today and have it off in 3seconds tomorrow.
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
Williams Hunt Randburg

The following users thanked this post: BrandsiekBrak

Offline BrandsiekBrak

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 02:06:34 pm »
Thanks for the information Douglas

I understand that it is not a Harley or Indian, and I think that is partly what is drawing me to the Thunderbird. Not that I have anything against the Harleys or Indians, they just don't seem to draw me in like the Thunderbird.

I like the look of the Thunderbird

As I understand, Cruisers are not corner leaners. Thus it will take some getting used to, and initial careful riding

The Storm or Commander will be a good choice for me. The LT might work, if the right one comes past.
However, if the right feeling Thunderbird comes past (1600 / 1700) I will probably take it

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:10:58 pm by BrandsiekBrak »

but then became infected

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure

The following users thanked this post: BrandsiekBrak

Offline BrandsiekBrak

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 02:24:58 pm »
Thanks for that Beebop

Enjoyed the further insight

but then became infected

Offline DouglasN

• Vendors
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 02:36:20 pm »

Did get to 180 quite easily on pretty much all of the ones I rode (even did it 2 up)  but hanging on in the wind is unpleasant when you don't have a screen and when you do have a screen, gusts can make it unpredictable at that speed.  I suppose that's why they call them Cruisers.

I have attached a pic of the Commander that I commandeered every so often, the LT is off to the right

Quote>[size=78%]Quote from: Beebop on Today at 14:11:30[/size]
Read my short write up here
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:37:56 pm by DouglasN »
-----------------------
Douglas Norval
Williams Hunt Randburg

Offline BrandsiekBrak

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 10:02:37 pm »
I like looking at these things more and more

Cruising is the idea, and the power makes ět a game

but then became infected