Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2021  (Read 31638 times)

Offline Renrew

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
Re: DAKAR 2021
« Reply #1160 on: January 15, 2021, 09:17:57 am »
Another thing to look forward to is where Howes will end next year, I am sure he will score a factory ride after his 2021 performance

BTW, how old is the Madala?
Hows rode brilliantly indeed, very impressed.

Might take Ross’s place when he goes to KTM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #1161 on: January 15, 2021, 09:18:14 am »
10:01 Benavides wins the 43rd Dakar
The last special has proved to be a formality for Kevin Benavides! The Argentinean, who had to open the way after overtaking Sam Sunderland, rode at a lightning pace until the finish in order to combat a charge from Ricky Brabec. The two team-mates have enabled Honda to take the top two places on the final podium!

Yamaha should have taken one of these 34 kw 160kg puppies- they run all the way :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 09:20:14 am by XT JOE »
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Bappas

« Reply #1162 on: January 15, 2021, 09:20:53 am »
@Bappas : We are talking Dakar race here, not global sales of bikes to Indonesian farmers.

No we are talking about motorcycle manufacturers !   You should really look at the numbers !  And and if you want to look what manufactures are capable off regarding design   same thing !

No, you (using royal we) are talking about bike sales. Renrew was talking about Dakar race, which if you look at the bike used by the competitors is currently clearly dominated in terms of numbers by KTM and its clones. Simple as that - no matter how many exclamation marks you push.

The royal we shall wait until next year ! 
"Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers...What you do today, might Burn Your Ass Tomorrow"

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #1163 on: January 15, 2021, 09:21:31 am »
Honda please now give us this model you teased us with to celebrate another victory, Ride Red !

I also hope the success leads to a 450 rally or at least a replacement to the XRR but it's wishful thinking. I only rode a 690 because Honda doesn't sell anything that comes close
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

The following users thanked this post: sidetrack

Offline mulmi

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #1164 on: January 15, 2021, 09:22:35 am »
Me and my son were discussing riders and prep for a race like this now. And as he is 16 years old and in a rugby school the topic of steroids came up as it normally does.

Are the riders tested in anyway. With the beating their bodies endure.

Has any rider ever been ejected for drugs?  I mean this is an ASO event like TdF.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1165 on: January 15, 2021, 09:23:03 am »

I agree, I think KTM needs a reshuffle. I like Matias, humble and eager. He had a big mishap, but smiled while fixing it and then soldiered on like each day like a champ. Don't think he stands out on Nav like Ross does.

Think Honda put a lot of effort into the team's Nav skills and it showed last year already. They have also come a long with with engine failures, etc. Much like where Yamaha is now.

Really hope Yamaha can grow through this like Honda did. They have  really good talent with Adrian and Ross there. Give  them 2 more years.

But if the sleeping Giant KTM does not wake up soon, might be hard to keep up.

We used to have the Greats like Depress and Coma, a bit of TP. But now, it seems so much more level and open regarding the skill off all, no one is really light years ahead. So if Yamaha can sort them selves out, then we would have a nice  3 way manufacture battle going forward

Not a chance for Yamaha as far as I can see. Simply because they do not care. Their 'factory team' is not factory team at all - it is team of Yamaha Europe or France or some such. If the factory itself would really put themselves behind this then they would have to develop specific bike like Honda did, spend years fine tuning it (again as Honda did) before they will get competitive. And I see no signs on Yamaha's side of that hapenning.

Sorry for Ross, but I think he is on platform that will hinder him big time. Just few years ago I was rooting for AVB big time (when he was winning and then crashed out of race in one of the last stages) and look where he is now - quietly sleeping down the rankings into oblivion.

As much as it would be little nasty for Ross to dump Yamaha just after one year, as far as I can see Yamaha is not coming (or intending to) to the party on their side. Their bike is half assed effort at converting stock MX bike into rally racer. So for Ross to have realistic chance at podium, he might need to move to KTM or Honda.
Yes sad for a manufacturer with so much Dakar history to put in such a poor showing. For years now the Yamaha Dakar bike is a year to year hybrid YZ / WR try this and see what happens effort. They need a Yamaha Japan R&D dedicated rally bike project.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1166 on: January 15, 2021, 09:28:18 am »
Well done Honda could have been a 1 - 2 - 3 if not for BB's brain fart

J.R.R Tolkien

The following users thanked this post: BullSmit

Offline bud500

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #1167 on: January 15, 2021, 09:33:19 am »
Me and my son were discussing riders and prep for a race like this now. And as he is 16 years old and in a rugby school the topic of steroids came up as it normally does.

Has any rider ever been ejected for drugs?  I mean this is an ASO event like TdF.

This event is governed by the rules of the FIM.
As such all their anti doping regulations apply.

Yes competitors do get tested. I'm not of aware of anyone being DQ'd for any transgression.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Tman21

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
  • The I was like braaaap!
« Reply #1168 on: January 15, 2021, 09:35:59 am »

All international sporting bodies have to belong to WADA if im not mistaken so there would be some sort of protocol for spot checks at registration etc.
Stroom op!

Offline goonrider

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #1169 on: January 15, 2021, 09:37:04 am »
Bikers are good honest blokes, they don't dope  ;) O0
Keep it on one wheel

Current: KTM300
Sold: Triumph Tiger 955i, XR650R, DR650SE
Thanks Dad: RM250, DT175, Blaster 200, PW50

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #1170 on: January 15, 2021, 09:50:29 am »

PIERRE CHERPIN (Biker #111- FRA) PASSED AWAY

During his transfer by medical plane from Jeddah to France, Pierre Cherpin died  from the injuries caused by his fall during the 7th stage from Ha’il to Sakaka on January 10th.
The driver crashed at km 178, around 1:00 p.m. Doctors found him unconscious when they reached him by helicopter. Taken to Sakaka’s hospital, the medical report revealed a severe head trauma with loss of consciousness. Urgently operated in neurosurgery, he had since then been kept in an induced coma, his condition having remained stable over the past few days. He was airlifted from Sakaka to Jeddah’s hospital from where he was going to be transferred to Lille’s hospital.

Passionate about wide open spaces, Pierre Cherpin was participating in his fourth Dakar. His first participation was back in 2009, when the Dakar took place for the first time in South America. He signed up in the “malle moto” category and came back in 2012 still in the same category. He completed the race both times. He came back for a third time in 2015 but he had to give up after an engine failure.

Six years later, in 2021, he joined the same category, known now as the "Original by Motul".  He was driven by the curiosity of discovering a new continent. On the evening of the 6th  stage, he was standing on the 77th position of the overall classification.

This 52-year-old entrepreneur and sailing enthusiast, had no other ambitions than to live an adventure, without really worrying about the podium: "I am an amateur, I don’t want to win but to discover landscapes that I would never have had the opportunity to see otherwise. Everything is exciting: riding the bike, living your passion, getting to know yourself”.

The entire Dakar caravan would like to extend its sincere condolences to his family, relatives and friends.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:02:30 am by XT JOE »
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline Serf

« Reply #1171 on: January 15, 2021, 09:53:42 am »
Sad news-- Pierre Cherpin passes away
Sad news. RIP

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Offline skydiver

« Reply #1172 on: January 15, 2021, 09:56:39 am »
RIP Cherpin

Well done to Honda for 1st and 2nd place
I will be back next year to cheer for Team Red once again  :ricky:
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

The following users thanked this post: Mapog, XRRX

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #1173 on: January 15, 2021, 10:00:47 am »
Skyler Howes take a bow. Privateer coming 5th overall!

That takes some doing!

I really like his attitude - he literally sold everything he had to ride. HIs support team is Baz Trucks, I am pretty sure they'll be giving him a hefty financial thanks.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline madmax

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #1174 on: January 15, 2021, 10:01:05 am »
RIP CHIRPIN

CONGRATS BENEVIDES

ROSS THE MAN
BUT JAMES THE MAN OF MEN
fornicate the proletariat

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #1175 on: January 15, 2021, 10:05:56 am »
 :'(
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #1176 on: January 15, 2021, 10:32:18 am »
I'm thinking that Kristine Landman would have done well in this year's edition with her good navigation and more careful approach...

Offline bud500

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #1177 on: January 15, 2021, 10:35:30 am »
I'm thinking that Kristine Landman would have done well in this year's edition with her good navigation and more careful approach...

I'm not convinced.
The pace was very high which would have counted against her in my opinion.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #1178 on: January 15, 2021, 11:57:42 am »
Skyler Howes take a bow. Privateer coming 5th overall!

That takes some doing!

I really like his attitude - he literally sold everything he had to ride. HIs support team is Baz Trucks, I am pretty sure they'll be giving him a hefty financial thanks.

To push my 2 flags - there are other 2 privateers in the top 10 - Svitko at 8th and Michek at 10th position. Svitko has been privateer all those years, with best overall 2nd position in one of the SA editions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 11:58:24 am by Xpat »

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1179 on: January 15, 2021, 12:02:09 pm »
The 65 year old Dakar veteran Franco Picco finished another Dakar, his 14th what I can make out. He has always been a Yamaha rider but this year competed on a KTM and probably a good thing otherwise he could have had a DNF.
J.R.R Tolkien