Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Harley Fat Bob - opinions / buyers advice  (Read 992 times)

Offline BuRP

Re: Harley Fat Bob - opinions / buyers advice
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 09:44:13 am »
the Suzuki boulevard 1800 out fer a wee spin .its more comfy , more performance , sleeker, cheaper, better , and prettier

... and it corners well!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 10:13:17 am »
the Suzuki boulevard 1800 out fer a wee spin .its more comfy , more performance , sleeker, cheaper, better , and prettier

... and it corners well!

that aswell ……………………………………………..  although I have to admit . ( shamefully) I did get my arse handed to me this one time , in ET by two okes on Harleys  around the twisties , they were no match for my bouli on the straights , but these Harley okes were beasts on the corners , in my defense , I am convinced the Harley okes were ROSSI and Jorge on a "make up" holiday to our fair land
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 11:51:16 am »
I just love the VRod/Nighrod and Breakout models... remind me of drag bikes somehow.....

Fit that Nightrod with Nitrous and a supercharger and you will blow just about anything away from a standing start.... including 2SD..:thumleft: :lol8:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:51:52 am by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline BuRP

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 12:10:49 pm »
I did get my arse handed to me this one time , in ET by two okes on Harleys  around the twisties , they were no match for my bouli on the straights , but these Harley okes were beasts on the corners

You're not alone.
Was riding around Lago di Garda on my (rented) Multistrada 1260 having a joll.
On long straights I saw a bike ahead, so of course I was going to show this moffie who's boss.
This moffie however turned out to be on some Harley, big screen & all, and he rode like the devil possessed!
After quite some time I eventually caught up to his side and greeted, but let him go as the speed was genuine lunacy.
Some HD boys can manage, make no mistake!  ;)
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 12:36:46 pm »
I did get my arse handed to me this one time , in ET by two okes on Harleys  around the twisties , they were no match for my bouli on the straights , but these Harley okes were beasts on the corners

You're not alone.
On long straights I saw a bike ahead, so of course I was going to show this moffie who's boss.
This moffie however turned out to be on some Harley, big screen & all, and he rode like the devil possessed!
After quite some time I eventually caught up to his side and greeted, but let him go as the speed was genuine lunacy.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :biggrin:
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Offshore

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2020, 01:13:53 pm »
Don't hold back Gents, empty your Hearts,you'll feel better afterwards. :biggrin:
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 01:16:10 pm »
 including 2SD..on a BM! ;) :lol8:

fixed.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 01:22:13 pm »
please do yerself a favour …….. go and take the Suzuki boulevard 1800 out fer a wee spin .its more comfy , more performance , sleeker, cheaper, better , and prettier

I had a look at it, however it just does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling inside
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline bud500

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 02:18:04 pm »
please do yerself a favour …….. go and take the Suzuki boulevard 1800 out fer a wee spin .its more comfy , more performance , sleeker, cheaper, better , and prettier

I had a look at it, however it just does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling inside

Yeah it doesn't have the same "soul".
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline bronzy

• the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 02:22:10 pm »
I had a Fat bob a few years back and i should have kept it and after owning a couple of Harleys the Fat bob is the only one i would buy again
Great bike does everything well and don't be fooled the fat bob also handle well as the pegs are more forward than the other Harleys so the ground clearance is better  :thumleft:

Offline bud500

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2020, 02:23:16 pm »
I have also, how shall I put it, been intrigued with a cruiser as a second or third bike.
Same as mentioned, I like the raw basics of it.

My favorite still is the Fatboy, for that classic look, followed by the Fatbob.

Have a look at the antics of an Aussie on YouTube, channel Million Dollar Bogan. He has some serious adventure riding on these mammoths.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 02:26:37 pm by bud500 »
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2020, 08:11:07 pm »
Thanks guys

You all are giving me more and more to think about, and the different  views help a lot
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2020, 12:44:59 am »
Sorry to Hijack but whats your guys opinion on the street rod 750? My boet (newish rider) is looking at one and at the current price seems like a real bargain!
I take it that its cheap because "οts not a real harley"

Harley's answer to the numerous entry level Japanese offerings and attempt to bring young riders to the Harley brand.

Not a bad bike by any means, but you're right, it's not a real big twin HD.

Likely not made/assembled in the USA for the ZA market, most likely assembled at HD's Indian plant.

Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

The following users thanked this post: Nomad

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2020, 12:54:36 am »

You're not alone.

You fellas made me think of this, check out how much his rear side-steps at the :50 second mark  :imaposer:

Offline Guido

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 03:11:35 am »
You will never go wrong with a fatbob. It was my first Harley coming off a GS, bought it over the Internet, had never ridden a Harley before. After the first ride, I almost sold it. It was completely different to the GS/KTM scene I was used to. I have now owned 3, first one I owned was a 2010 model with the 96cui engine dyna fatbob, I exported her a year ago, she now lives with me in Hong Kong. It’s especially great for tall riders, I’m 6ft 4, forward controls work wonders,  take some time to get used to, but once you get there, will never look back. throw on a set of highway bars with high way pegs, and I can almost stretch my legs out straight, great for the longer rides.  Go for it, you will never look back.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 03:40:19 am by Guido »

Offline Crankshaft

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2020, 08:28:59 am »
In January I decided that I want to try something else as well.  Sold the 2015 GS Adv and was moving towards the HD.  Took various models for a ride from Road King, Street Glide and then the Breakout and a older Fat boy with ape hangers...

For me the road king and street glide was to big.  Loved the comfy seat, but for me that's almost 1.9m tall it felt too low.  Loved the looks of that huge rear tyre on the breakout and that would have been my 1st choice.... but oh man did that handle kak....  Then took the older fat boy out for a ride and it was much more comfy.  Suspension and the brakes on these bikes was not that great.  Honestly thought it would be better.

My opinion is that each model has it purpose.  I was riding form Cape Town city centre via Sea point, Clifton, Camps bay towards Hout bay along the twisties.  For me coming from a GSA and knowing how smooth the bike was and how easy it is to turn, the HD was a piece of work.  Just completely something else to get used to.  Noticed that you constantly had to counter steer these big bikes.

When arrived in Hout bay I felt it....  Not even to mention the fat boy with the ape hangers.  That thing gave me a workout of note. I think that if you ride short distances and around the suburbs it's ideal but I couldn't see myself going on a long trip with these type of bikes, unless you have a road king / street glide or something similar.

I didn't take the Fat bob for a ride, because looks wise it didn't do it for me, sorry.

On my way home, stopped at KTM and took the 1290 SAR for a ride.... GOOD LORD!!!! What a monster :drif: :drif: :drif: and purchased that one instead. :ricky: :ricky: :pot:

Good luck with your choice. :thumleft: :thumleft:
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
Current: WR 450F & KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2020, 09:03:38 am »
In January I decided that I want to try something else as well.  Sold the 2015 GS Adv and was moving towards the HD.  Took various models for a ride from Road King, Street Glide and then the Breakout and a older Fat boy with ape hangers...

For me the road king and street glide was to big.  Loved the comfy seat, but for me that's almost 1.9m tall it felt too low.  Loved the looks of that huge rear tyre on the breakout and that would have been my 1st choice.... but oh man did that handle kak....  Then took the older fat boy out for a ride and it was much more comfy.  Suspension and the brakes on these bikes was not that great.  Honestly thought it would be better.

My opinion is that each model has it purpose.  I was riding form Cape Town city centre via Sea point, Clifton, Camps bay towards Hout bay along the twisties.  For me coming from a GSA and knowing how smooth the bike was and how easy it is to turn, the HD was a piece of work.  Just completely something else to get used to.  Noticed that you constantly had to counter steer these big bikes.

When arrived in Hout bay I felt it....  Not even to mention the fat boy with the ape hangers.  That thing gave me a workout of note. I think that if you ride short distances and around the suburbs it's ideal but I couldn't see myself going on a long trip with these type of bikes, unless you have a road king / street glide or something similar.

I didn't take the Fat bob for a ride, because looks wise it didn't do it for me, sorry.

On my way home, stopped at KTM and took the 1290 SAR for a ride.... GOOD LORD!!!! What a monster :drif: :drif: :drif: and purchased that one instead. :ricky: :ricky: :pot:

The Road King's suspension is better than the Street Glide, the SG, with its slammed rear end just doesn't offer enough travel, in my opinion.  A good set of Ohlins shocks on the rear makes them ride much much better.  Which pissed me off, I owned a 2015 or 2016 Street Glide Special in Black Denim (matte black), only kept it for about a year, rode it for around 11,000 miles, to Newfoundland and back, then Texas and back.  MSRP on the bike was around $25,000usd.  A lot of companies skimp on suspension components, but my gosh, for that kind of coin, I felt it was ridiculous to have such poor shock absorbers on the rear.  I could've found better shocks in a used shock bin in back alley Bangkok.  ironically, I also traded it in on a 1290 SAR!

My favorite is the Fatboy, I think it looks incredible and would fit in nicely in my collection.  For those times when you just want to go out and cruise a few miles, wind in your face, no hurry to get anywhere, and not riding long distance. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:04:27 am by big oil »

Offline Crankshaft

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2020, 09:29:20 am »

The Road King's suspension is better than the Street Glide, the SG, with its slammed rear end just doesn't offer enough travel, in my opinion.  A good set of Ohlins shocks on the rear makes them ride much much better.  Which pissed me off, I owned a 2015 or 2016 Street Glide Special in Black Denim (matte black), only kept it for about a year, rode it for around 11,000 miles, to Newfoundland and back, then Texas and back.  MSRP on the bike was around $25,000usd.  A lot of companies skimp on suspension components, but my gosh, for that kind of coin, I felt it was ridiculous to have such poor shock absorbers on the rear.  I could've found better shocks in a used shock bin in back alley Bangkok.  ironically, I also traded it in on a 1290 SAR!

My favorite is the Fatboy, I think it looks incredible and would fit in nicely in my collection.  For those times when you just want to go out and cruise a few miles, wind in your face, no hurry to get anywhere, and not riding long distance.

"I also traded it in on a 1290 SAR!"   :lol8: Excellent choice :ricky: :pot:
KDX 200, YFZ 450, YZ 250F, YZ 450F, WR 450F, R1200GS LC, R1200GS ADV LC, 2nd R1200GS ADV LC
Current: WR 450F & KTM 1290 Sup Adv R

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2020, 10:12:09 am »
I lusted over that 1290 SAR when I first saw it, I knew then I had to have one.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2020, 10:32:08 am »
I rode all the HD models around Kyalami over last few years.... never been so slow and scared at same time.... :lol8: the handling (or lack of) is something to get used to  :o

Most are butt ugly imo, but then beauty is in eye of beholder and there are enough customers out there to prove me wrong... ;D

If I had to fork out my own money, it would have to be a NightRod or Breakout.... killer looks and that rear tyre just does it for me... :thumleft:

I also had priiledge to take 1290SAR around Kyalami just after the Breakout ride.... proved to me then and there I am still way too young for HD... :ricky:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:33:47 am by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........