Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kawasaki to Reveal Six New Models on Nov. 23  (Read 6098 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: Kawasaki to Reveal Six New Models on Nov. 23
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2021, 12:39:42 pm »
They tell me we are not going to get the KLX300S because it wasn't designed to be ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliant and the importers don't think the market for it is worth pursuing even though they have sold a pile of KLX250's here over the years.
That is quite surprising
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2021, 10:03:53 pm »
Well I have set my mind on the 300L for when it becomes available in SA for my future adventures since I am forced to go light with my back that gives me some hassle. However; if the road going KLX300 was coming to SA that would have been my choice by far. It is a better bike, more power and much better suspension.
I'll see if there is a possibility in the states to bring back some better suspension back to SA on my return trip December, but most important a bigger fuel tank.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2021, 10:33:03 pm »
They tell me we are not going to get the KLX300S because it wasn't designed to be ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliant and the importers don't think the market for it is worth pursuing even though they have sold a pile of KLX250's here over the years.
That is quite surprising
Not really... the Australian bureaucracy has gone woke on a lot of things of late. :sip:

Online Xpat

« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2021, 10:56:26 pm »
Well I have set my mind on the 300L for when it becomes available in SA for my future adventures since I am forced to go light with my back that gives me some hassle. However; if the road going KLX300 was coming to SA that would have been my choice by far. It is a better bike, more power and much better suspension.
I'll see if there is a possibility in the states to bring back some better suspension back to SA on my return trip December, but most important a bigger fuel tank.

Just out of interest, what is the logic behind lighter bike being better for your back? If you planning to ride technical, then yes. But you havent been too keen on tech riding before.

If you want to ride mostly tar and dirt roads, especially corrugated ones, then it is exactly the other way round - heavier bike with the righf wheels and suspension (nc is none of that) is way better in insulating you from the surface. There is reason why rolls royce are heavier than they need to be...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:57:24 pm by Xpat »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2021, 11:24:34 pm »

Just out of interest, what is the logic behind lighter bike being better for your back? If you planning to ride technical, then yes. But you havent been too keen on tech riding before.

If you want to ride mostly tar and dirt roads, especially corrugated ones, then it is exactly the other way round - heavier bike with the righf wheels and suspension (nc is none of that) is way better in insulating you from the surface. There is reason why rolls royce are heavier than they need to be...

Yes Martin you are right, I have not done any hardcore adventures like you did but I would like to do that. Your RR's have inspired like some others and I am unfortunately not a great offroad rider nor my physical state but I want to give it a try.

Online Xpat

« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2021, 11:30:02 pm »

Yes Martin you are right, I have not done any hardcore adventures like you did but I would like to do that. Your RR's have inspired like some others and I am unfortunately not a great offroad rider nor my physical state but I want to give it a try.

Hmmm, tech riding will not do your back much good at all. But if you want to try that than yes, smaller and lighter bike is the way to go.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2021, 07:51:17 am »
I think the CRF300L with it's long travel soft suspension will make a great commuter as well. No issues with corrugations or potholes, much easier ride than a NC700 for instance. Maybe not cross country but certainly for normal riding.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2021, 08:00:35 am »
Tom the KLX vs CRF will be close and I agree the KLX has better suspension but there are a number of things in the CRF's favour :

Overseas it's cheaper than the KLX
Slipper clutch
New bodywork and instruments (looks better than KLX imho)
It's a Honda, better support in SA
The power differecne will be very little and I doubt you will notice it
The Honda will have more aftermarket stuff available no doubt.

KLX pro's

Lighter
Better suspension
No ABS, not sure what CRF version we will get here
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2021, 08:22:36 am »
Unless you also want to do offroad races with the bike, you need no better suspension than the CRF300L offers.

I rode it, and for my weight, which is 80kgs, I would not change a thing on that bike's suspension.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2021, 08:34:35 am »
Unless you also want to do offroad races with the bike, you need no better suspension than the CRF300L offers.

I rode it, and for my weight, which is 80kgs, I would not change a thing on that bike's suspension.

I am around 95kg but will drop once I start working to probably 88/90kg mark.
I will however mount my Enduristan Blizzard bags with tubes and tools and chlothing, water and food for like 5 day trip so the OEM suspension will have to be upgraded in my case Dan.
I did see very reasonable upgrade shock in the States for the 250l (usd 500) and progresive fork springs under usd 150. Main concern would be fuel range and I hope IMS or someone will make bigger tank