Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: IT goes for swim - Sad ending  (Read 1815 times)

Offline BLK

Re: IT goes for swim - sad ending
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 04:41:26 pm »
this guy can be extremely happy it was just the bike.
A friend of mine (Actually my neigbour) was caught on Friday night at the previous low "Drif" with his Hilux 4x4 and we searched for 2 days for the him and his bakkie.
We found the bakkie on Sunday around 14h00 and had to get police divers to help look for Ronnie. the power of the water buried the bakkie under the debris and we could not find it even with drones. It was found when someone walking along the road smelled petrol.
Sadly his body was recovered about 800m from the river. The bakkiie was about 100m downstream of the drif.
He crossed the river earlier on Friday to visit his kids and when he came back later that night the river must have swollen and he got caught.
Do not underestimate even a small river. They are dangerous when it rains up in the mountain.
RIP Ronnie. (He rode a 650 Dakar but not on WD)

This is my wifes collegue at shools(They are teachers) "brother in Law".Just got the news 1/2 hr ago.
PS - when we recovered the bike on Satrurday we did not even know yet that Ronnie was missing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:47:21 pm by BLK »

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: IT goes for swim - Sad ending
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 04:43:26 pm »
Years ago while doing my first enduro at Pearly Beach I arrived at a traffic jam in front of a river crossing, the guys were crossing single file. I thought they were idiots and crossed next to them only to discover that they were crossing a bridge. I lost my bike and eventually after a long search found it 20m down the river 2m under the water  :-[  It was a KDX so all I had to do was turn it upside down, let the water drain out and off I went again.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 04:47:32 pm »
 :'( Sad to hear... My Dad always said "If the water is up to where the rim of the wheel starts, then it is too deep!"

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 04:48:07 pm »
Very sad .  :(
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Rufus115

Re: IT goes for swim - sad ending
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 05:25:41 pm »
this guy can be extremely happy it was just the bike.
A friend of mine (Actually my neigbour) was caught on Friday night at the previous low "Drif" with his Hilux 4x4 and we searched for 2 days for the him and his bakkie.
We found the bakkie on Sunday around 14h00 and had to get police divers to help look for Ronnie. the power of the water buried the bakkie under the debris and we could not find it even with drones. It was found when someone walking along the road smelled petrol.
Sadly his body was recovered about 800m from the river. The bakkiie was about 100m downstream of the drif.
He crossed the river earlier on Friday to visit his kids and when he came back later that night the river must have swollen and he got caught.
Do not underestimate even a small river. They are dangerous when it rains up in the mountain.
RIP Ronnie. (He rode a 650 Dakar but not on WD)

PS - when we recovered the bike on Satrurday we did not even know yet that Ronnie was missing.

Similar thing happened near Rhodes last year (if I recall timing correctly). Took the life of two young kids and the driver at least. Saddest sight I saw was the bakkie post recovery knowing that somewhere a mother and father were grieving the loss of their children who had at that point, not been recovered.

"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline Mikel89

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 12:44:14 am »
I saw this bike on Sunday arvie. I had no idea that this happened to it, I just saw the damaged zorst and wondered how the guy hurt it like that.

That bike's a write off, deserves spit & polish and should live on further as many Italians do, as ornaments.

Offline HB 9

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2020, 06:56:26 am »
Water, wind and fire...

My motto... if you can not walk through - you can not drive / ride through...

Condolences to the bakkie driver's family and friends.
Tread lightly

Offline Appel

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 10:58:21 am »
And how many people take chances with the rivers at the bottom of the poastal route, because "we've come so far". Scary!

Offline Amsterdam

Re: Eye Tye goes for a swim
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2020, 03:17:51 pm »
I seem to remember Amsterdam losing a KTM in a very similar manner some years back?

I did indeed.  And one of my friends who was on this ride with the Guzzi send me a few photos and videos of the fast flowing river to remind me.

KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Amsterdam

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2020, 03:18:54 pm »
And how many people take chances with the rivers at the bottom of the poastal route, because "we've come so far". Scary!

That is exactly what I saw there a few weeks ago.

KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Sam

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2020, 04:47:06 pm »
That looks like SAS Willehond on the right.

Clearly the chap didn't want to have to open and close the 70 farm gates reversing course back up Bidou valley.......good thing that he had someone to drag him out. The water level rises VERY fast up there.

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2020, 02:45:31 pm »

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2020, 05:33:56 pm »
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'