Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 790 - WARNING - THE MOST UNRELIABLE MOTORCYCLE TO EVER LEAVE AUSTRIA  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
1 nobody is forcing you to buy one.
2 the 890 IS a 790 with more bore/stroke. So there’s none of this “deflecting attention” nonsense, it’s 95% the same bike.

3 seems like the useless dealers and techs in the USA striking again. Took them ages to figure out the 1x90s as well. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised when the smallest unit of measure is the width of a thumb and Carbs are still new technology in the states. Takes them a while to figure out modern euro tech.  :lol8:

I know quite a few guys who beat on their 790s with no ill effects.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
1 nobody is forcing you to buy one.
2 the 890 IS a 790 with more bore/stroke. So there’s none of this “deflecting attention” nonsense, it’s 95% the same bike.

3 seems like the useless dealers and techs in the USA striking again. Took them ages to figure out the 1x90s as well. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised when the smallest unit of measure is the width of a thumb and Carbs are still new technology in the states. Takes them a while to figure out modern euro tech.  :lol8:

I know quite a few guys who beat on their 790s with no ill effects.

The start of the defensive wave.

The following users thanked this post: johanp

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
I was actually pretty close to buying one, based mostly on Nonekings' reports and feedback. I'm not even sure if I'm glad I didn't because I'm enjoying my 500 immensely, a seriously well made bike. Maybe different design teams? Amazing how one product can be so good, and another so problematic. But then, BMW... No wait, apart from the stanchion recall, which was a serious design fail, my GSA is still my pride and joy.

Hope these issues do not pop up on the 890?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
I was actually pretty close to buying one, based mostly on Nonekings' reports and feedback. I'm not even sure if I'm glad I didn't because I'm enjoying my 500 immensely, a seriously well made bike. Maybe different design teams? Amazing how one product can be so good, and another so problematic. But then, BMW... No wait, apart from the stanchion recall, which was a serious design fail, my GSA is still my pride and joy.

If the 890 is simply a restroked/bored 790, it is going to inherit these exact issues.

Offline dirtWarp

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Re: KTM 790 - WARNING - THE MOST UNRELIABLE MOTORCYCLE TO EVER LEAVE AUSTRIA
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2020, 07:54:20 pm »

500 is a total different ballgame.
It's the result of decades of development with the original design baught from husaberg.

As I've mentioned somewhere else, ktm was still sand casting motors until 2010

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:56:19 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
Pierre, lewe jy nog??
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
Fuck off.
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

The following users thanked this post: Buff, Elmer Fudd

Offline Sprocketbek

KTM did not really market consumer Adv bikes before 2003, the focus was always on the competition type bikes.
Then some motards, and eventually large capacity, high performance road bikes.

And always hands-on, higher maintenance products, using top quality components.
The type of product that doesn't suffer fools, neither the way they use them.

Many guys cooked rear brakes on 950/990s, to the point they got a bad reputation for that. Some may have been faulty, but in the majority of cases the rider was resting his foot on the brake pedal.

In the above diatribe from Big Oil, the one rider admits he possibly misused the clutch (most likely because he is incapable of riding properly and has a lack of mechanical sympathy).
Anybody who has ridden tight, single track paths with friends who have 1150/1200 GSs will know what a burnt clutch on those beasts smells like.......no thanks, not for me. Not if I want to do that, anyway.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Sprocketbek

Fuck off.

Exactly what I was trying to say  :thumleft:
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Offshore

He said it more eloquently.

And Schadenfreude from the usual Suspects.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

The following users thanked this post: Battlestar

Offline jj le roux

• Bike: AJS (all models)
I’m on my second set of tyres and over 7000 km in 3 months with not a inch of shit. I had a head shake issue but fixed it with suspension adjustment. 
1981 BMW R80G/S, 1984 BMW R80G/S, BMW 1955 R50, BMW R80 Kalahari

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog

No "schadenfreude" for KYM's 790 being a bit of a floppy, that only comes in when you buy one...... :pot:

Offline Offshore

No "schadenfreude" for KYM's 790 being a bit of a floppy, that only comes in when you buy one...... :pot:
Not on KTM, straight like an Arrow.  :thumleft: :laughing4:
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog

Not on KTM, straight like an Arrow.  :thumleft: :laughing4:

>:( >:( :imaposer:

Offline Runner

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Willearea
    • Off Road Cycles
Kom ry net een dag met daai stuk BMW  saam my groepie en kyk wat is fucked as ons aan die ander kant uitkom. En wie wil n "boring as fuck" ding vir derduisende kilometers ry. Gelukkig breek die KTM gereeld en dan kan ek n nuwe een koop. Werk so bietjie harder dan kan jy dit ook bekostig.

Somebody can translate for our US friend.
OFF ROAD CYCLES:
012 333 6443/087 808 3649/ 087 808 3650
WhattApp 082 823 4714 | info@offroadcycles.co.za
22 Blesbok Ave, Koedoespoort Industrial, Pretoria.

The following users thanked this post: Elmer Fudd

Offline Cable Tie

Conrad jy weet nie net van bikes nie, jy dig pragtig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Offshore

Kom ry net een dag met daai stuk BMW  saam my groepie en kyk wat is fucked as ons aan die ander kant uitkom. En wie wil n "boring as fuck" ding vir derduisende kilometers ry. Gelukkig breek die KTM gereeld en dan kan ek n nuwe een koop. Werk so bietjie harder dan kan jy dit ook bekostig.

You explained it well on #46 :biggrin:
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog

I completely agree that BMW's are no good! O0

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za

:laughing4: :laughing4:

I love the 790, Noneking has been on some pretty extreme terrain and rides with me and it is yet to breakdown. I know he has had issues, but any bike operating in these conditions will have issues. My 12 year old 990 has issues now and again and I expect it to!  I am surprised it still runs as god as it does considering what i put it through. My only issue with the 790 is the electronics. How do you fix those in field without a diagnostic when they kak?
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure

With the exception of TPi and suspension components, in my opinion, the dirt bikes from the orange brigade are damn good motorcycles.

From what I've observed over the years, the Japanese will not release a bike until most, if not all, flaws have been rectified. 

Not the case with KTM, where it seems they release products much too early, charge a premium price for the buyers to be their beta testers.

I don't like that.  I don't finance motorbikes, I lay down cash and I want a product that works......reliably.   I don't think that's too much to ask.
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

The following users thanked this post: johanp