Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Close call.....  (Read 1884 times)

Offline fixit

Re: Close call.....
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 09:17:48 am »
Would hate to think how that could have turned out. Saved by the gong there!  :thumleft:

With my luck there would have been a donga on the side of the road :biggrin:
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 09:46:02 am »
I can't imagine what the driver thought when he looked at 3 oncoming riders taking up the whole road. 

I see riders riding abreast in the same lane often here, mostly cruiser riders, but I've not ever seen three motorcyclists covering both lanes traveling in the same direction.

That's inexperience on display.  You're going to fuck yourself up like your brother if you keep riding above your ability and experience son.

This is Africa brah.  We have freedom here to fuck ourselves up should we wish to. :biggrin:

You prove it often
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 09:48:57 am »
I can't imagine what the driver thought when he looked at 3 oncoming riders taking up the whole road. 

I see riders riding abreast in the same lane often here, mostly cruiser riders, but I've not ever seen three motorcyclists covering both lanes traveling in the same direction.

That's inexperience on display.  You're going to fuck yourself up like your brother if you keep riding above your ability and experience son.

This is Africa brah.  We have freedom here to fuck ourselves up should we wish to. :biggrin:

You prove it often

Land of the free :thumleft:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 09:58:14 am »
Over the years there have been so many debates on how to ride in a 2 or 3 group on gravel roads.

If you ride like that you get to stay connected as a group which is cool, with the bonus of  staying out of the dust and personally Ive ridden like that in the past but i've just seen too many okes get taken out like that , especially in the Cederberg, I don't do it anymore for that reason.

No matter how used you are to riding like that or how much of a riding god you think you are, the chances of something happening is increased but if you keep your kop it usually works out OK.

Glad this one worked out  :sip:

Cederberg is very bad
Some people also drive/ride like all gravel roads are one ways.
I always slow down and go as far left as possible whenever there is a blind rise or a turn that I can't see past.
Saved my bacon a couple of times (and also the 'Enduro god' that almost ended up in my front grill, coming sideways around a blind corner on that pass leading down to Mount Cedar (from Oasis side)
If I didn't crawl around that turn he would have connected me solid

Having said all that - our group usually go with the 'look out for the guy behind you' approach
The best riding conditions for us is always having a wind from the side that is strong enough to take the dust away, but not strong enough to be a nuisance

But that doesn't happen too often

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline luv2ride

• Strand brak
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Strand brak
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 01:49:57 pm »
That was close, glad you saved it and can tell the story

BMW S1000XR and BMW R1200R
BMW F800GS - sold, Honda NC700X -Sold; BMW1150GSA -sold
BMW F650 twin - sold
BMW F800ST - in bike heaven Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold Kawasaki ER6F -sold Yamaha FZ6 - sold BMW 1200GS - sold BMW 650 Dakar - sold Yamaha XJ750 - stolen Honda MT5 - given away as scrap

Offline Grunder

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2020, 02:31:20 pm »
Weather you were in the wrong or not. You executed an exit plan very well. You kept your cool when the shit wanted to hit the fan.

That being said, it was risky riding

Glad you are ok.
F800gs

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2020, 03:34:22 pm »
Shyte, well done to the riders involved.
But the guy on the right was in the wrong.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:35:43 pm by Wooly Bugger »
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline 0012

• Double-oh-Tkwarf
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Race the rain. Ride the wind. Chase the sunset.
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 03:55:10 pm »
Great, thank you for sharing this  :thumleft:

Man, that puckered feeling of the close call I know all too well, well said by Eisbein

We've all been there where your eyes lingered those 10 split seconds too long in your rear view mirror or at the scenery, or going into a turn slightly too fast or whatever momentary lapse of reason or good habits could have caused some serious shit and that the roll of a dice was the difference between having a moerse skrik or an extended hospital visit (or even worse)

There but for the grace of God go I.

As a disclaimer, the one time I had a close call become an actual call, I really did F-all wrong, so maybe karma is there waiting to balance the books even when you're doing everything right! That's motorbiking
->    TransAlp 650 - sold
:(    Yamaha XT1200Z - written off - R.I.P.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2020, 04:03:12 pm »
But the guy on the right was in the wrong.

Yip, I agree - which then makes it two drivers/riders being a bit wrong.
Oh well, we've all been there I suppose.  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 04:23:39 pm »
If that was on a GS boxer, there would not have been enough space....... :eek7: :eek7:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 04:51:12 pm »
If that was on a GS boxer, there would not have been enough space

:lol8:
Never mind space Dan, the time required to change direction of such behemoth would not have been enough either!  :P
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
If that was on a GS boxer, there would not have been enough space....... :eek7: :eek7:

You just cannot let an opportunity go by, can you?
 :spitcoffee:
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2020, 06:05:51 pm »

Then the okes in the bakkie would’ve been in more danger than the biker  :lol8:

Offline Lightrider

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2020, 06:51:40 pm »
To the OP, don't blame the bakkie driver you were on the wrong side of the road, of course meerkating and too fast considering you could not see what was on the other side of the rise. You reacted fast and got away which is good but don't put the blame on the other side.

Offline fixit

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2020, 06:54:11 pm »

:lol8: :lol8:
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2020, 06:55:02 pm »
To the OP, don't blame the bakkie driver you were on the wrong side of the road, of course meerkating and too fast considering you could not see what was on the other side of the rise. You reacted fast and got away which is good but don't put the blame on the other side.
Sometimes wonder if people read at all....
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: 0012

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2020, 06:59:52 pm »
Sometimes wonder if people read at all....
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Yeh you were both on the "wrong" side of the road.  But on dirt, sometimes any where you can ride safely is the right side IMO.

(Side Note, But: I Absolutely LOVE how the Americans freak the hell out on youtube when somebody crosses a solid centre line on tar, even though you can see for miles there's nothing oncoming.  Rider will clip the centre line on an apex, clear road ahead... "OMG DO YOU HAVEA DEATH WISH!!! YOU CROSSED THE CENTRELINE!!!!" 
It's like they think that it's crossing the line is dangerous, not having a head on :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:  I'd love them to come ride the lowveld twisties for a bit :biggrin: :biggrin:)

Offline Bliknêrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2020, 07:29:37 pm »
Well done for posting this, takes guts.
I had a giggle when I watched your shadow. I could see it crapping itself!

Offline HB 9

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2020, 06:47:28 am »
Had a very close call on Friday while riding on the Quernsey road to Bush Pub near Orpen gate. Wide, well maintained gravel road, we were doing between 90 and 100km/h approaching the incident.

As we came over a slight crest, a bakkie loaded with passengers on the back, was approaching on the wrong side of the road and we were riding 3 abreast....... Now usually this is not an issue as all 3 off us are used to riding hotdog and react in very specific way, but in this situation it nearly ended badly because I did not react like I should have by falling in behind the second rider.

The bakkie driver obviously skrikked a bit. Bakkie went into a bit of a slide and and drifted to the “correct” side of the road. [b]My first instinct was that he was going to over correct and move back to the “wrong” side of the road. [/b] Well clearly I was wrong and it could’ve very easily ended up as a very bad situation.

I take most of the blame...... travelling too fast, riding three abreast and looking for game instead of concentrating.

A friend offered some biking wisdom......Don’t hotdog the Hotdog  :3some:

Lesson learnt......

Quick thinking and anticipating the driver's reaction... I agree that few read the OP.

Dit is "Op die voete dink..."   :thumleft: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:48:52 am by HB 9 »
Tread lightly

Offline bud500

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 09:22:11 am »
 :o

Kudos for posting the lesson while running the risk of getting flak.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:22:50 am by bud500 »
May the bridges I burn light the way...