Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Close call.....  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Re: Close call.....
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 10:15:11 am »
Over the years there have been so many debates on how to ride in a 2 or 3 group on gravel roads.

If you ride like that you get to stay connected as a group which is cool, with the bonus of  staying out of the dust and personally Ive ridden like that in the past but i've just seen too many okes get taken out like that , especially in the Cederberg, I don't do it anymore for that reason.

No matter how used you are to riding like that or how much of a riding god you think you are, the chances of something happening is increased but if you keep your kop it usually works out OK.

Glad this one worked out  :sip:

Cederberg is very bad
Some people also drive/ride like all gravel roads are one ways.
I always slow down and go as far left as possible whenever there is a blind rise or a turn that I can't see past.
Saved my bacon a couple of times (and also the 'Enduro god' that almost ended up in my front grill, coming sideways around a blind corner on that pass leading down to Mount Cedar (from Oasis side)
If I didn't crawl around that turn he would have connected me solid

Having said all that - our group usually go with the 'look out for the guy behind you' approach
The best riding conditions for us is always having a wind from the side that is strong enough to take the dust away, but not strong enough to be a nuisance

But that doesn't happen too often

True story, the other problem with the Cederberg is that there are tourists who forget which side of the road they should be driving / riding on so its quite often you go around a corner finding cars in your lane... i've come around a few blind corners only to see the grill of a rented land rover right infront of me so i've learnt to really hug the corners you cant see beyond.

As it happened one day I nearly got taken out by German tourists heading from Oasis to Algeria.. a few hours later I see them pulling into our campsite - Gecko Creek, they set up there and went out for a day trip. I went to go speak to the driver.. he just kept calling me a crazy motorbike rider looking to die  :laughing4: Pointing out that if I pulled over anymore into my side of the road would have resulted in me riding into a cliff did'nt seem to matter.. we parted as friends but it was a ball hair close call. :3some:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2020, 11:34:20 am »
To the OP, don't blame the bakkie driver you were on the wrong side of the road, of course meerkating and too fast considering you could not see what was on the other side of the rise. You reacted fast and got away which is good but don't put the blame on the other side.
Sometimes wonder if people read at all....
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Yeh you were both on the "wrong" side of the road.  But on dirt, sometimes any where you can ride safely is the right side IMO.

(Side Note, But: I Absolutely LOVE how the Americans freak the hell out on youtube when somebody crosses a solid centre line on tar, even though you can see for miles there's nothing oncoming.  Rider will clip the centre line on an apex, clear road ahead... "OMG DO YOU HAVEA DEATH WISH!!! YOU CROSSED THE CENTRELINE!!!!" 
It's like they think that it's crossing the line is dangerous, not having a head on :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:  I'd love them to come ride the lowveld twisties for a bit :biggrin: :biggrin:)

T'is why they say Africa's not for sissies..... :biggrin:
Long live the Underdog.........

The following users thanked this post: Jabus

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 11:57:52 am »
To the OP, don't blame the bakkie driver you were on the wrong side of the road, of course meerkating and too fast considering you could not see what was on the other side of the rise. You reacted fast and got away which is good but don't put the blame on the other side.

Yeh you were both on the "wrong" side of the road.  But on dirt, sometimes any where you can ride safely is the right side IMO.

(Side Note, But: I Absolutely LOVE how the Americans freak the hell out on youtube when somebody crosses a solid centre line on tar, even though you can see for miles there's nothing oncoming.  Rider will clip the centre line on an apex, clear road ahead... "OMG DO YOU HAVEA DEATH WISH!!! YOU CROSSED THE CENTRELINE!!!!" 
It's like they think that it's crossing the line is dangerous, not having a head on :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:  I'd love them to come ride the lowveld twisties for a bit :biggrin: :biggrin:)

I think the American attitude has more to do with respect for the law. Even if you can see up ahead, you do not cross the solid centreline, because you can obviously not see far enough up ahead.

Offline Noneking

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2020, 01:22:14 pm »
:o

Kudos for posting the lesson while running the risk of getting flak.
I knew for sure that I would get flak. I was in the wrong and stated it in the OP as there is no excuse for the way I rode.

No excuses here, I certainly learnt a valuable lesson and my hope was that it would open the eyes of one or two riders that might have become complacent like myself.

2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: bud500

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2020, 01:23:21 pm »

I think the American attitude has more to do with respect for the law. Even if you can see up ahead, you do not cross the solid centreline, because you can obviously not see far enough up ahead.

Far enough in what vehicle though?

Distance needed to pass is very different from an 1100cc Split window VW compared to a S1000RR.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2020, 02:17:08 pm »
T'is why they say Africa's not for sissies

In Africa the right of weight rules.

Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2020, 02:33:47 pm »
T'is why they say Africa's not for sissies

In Africa the right of weight rules.

Now you remind me of riding in Tanzania.. we asked the locals WTF was going on because different rules seemed to apply to the Stop Streets.. the one guy told us that if we got to a 4 way stop street and there were only bikes on the line then we would always be the 1st to pull away because our bikes were by far the biggest  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2020, 04:50:18 pm »

Distance needed to pass is very different from an 1100cc Split window VW compared to a S1000RR.

Roads departments do not have solid centrelines for splitwindow Kombis and different ones for S1000RR's.  They have average distance calculations that they use, catering for slower vehicles too.

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2020, 08:24:09 pm »
:o

Kudos for posting the lesson while running the risk of getting flak.
I knew for sure that I would get flak. I was in the wrong and stated it in the OP as there is no excuse for the way I rode.

No excuses here, I certainly learnt a valuable lesson and my hope was that it would open the eyes of one or two riders that might have become complacent like myself.

I would say thanks again if you know what I mean. ;)
It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Offline Antonie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2020, 09:08:26 pm »
Joh, that was @&#%" close! Glad you came out with only dirty undies...

Thanks for posting, valuable lesson learnt!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2020, 10:51:14 am »

Roads departments do not have solid centrelines for splitwindow Kombis and different ones for S1000RR's.  They have average distance calculations that they use, catering for slower vehicles too.

Ya, so back to my point. I'm not going to sit stuck behind a tractor If I'm on my 1290 when I can see for an absolute fact that I can pass safely, even if there is a white line.   

Offline husky

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2020, 11:29:27 am »
Glad you missed a nasty outcome.

Very easy to end up in a similar situation - even riding like a granny (that is me).  Two close calls come to mind; one near Cramond in KZN on a seemingly deserted gravel road in a plantation, drifted bit wide on a tight turn and suddenly there was a bakkie, right there. Luckily we were both wide awake and picked opposite sides to avoid the accident. Same with a taxi on a potholed piece of gravel down the KZN S Coast. He popped up unexpectedly and we were both going for the same slightly less potholed section of road. Again, luckily we were both awake as we cam to a stop head on, about 2m apart. Then of course there was my nameless friend who ended up, unhurt, under the front of a bus in Lesotho and the one who got a badly broken leg racing on gravel roads in 1000 hills; Shades of Alan North.

Slow and sharp is the order of business for me.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2020, 02:58:38 pm »

Ya, so back to my point. I'm not going to sit stuck behind a tractor If I'm on my 1290 when I can see for an absolute fact that I can pass safely, even if there is a white line.

If a cop sees you, you'll get a fine.

Iow, it is illegal.

Offline threeper

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2020, 05:18:32 pm »
@Noneking

dude, you are on Motomadness 3:20 in :thumleft:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2020, 06:50:40 pm »
@Noneking

dude, you are on Motomadness 3:20 in :thumleft:

Famous for all the wrong reasons
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2020, 01:58:59 pm »

Iow, it is illegal.

I try not to let them see me. :biggrin:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2020, 03:09:28 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:

Yes, Roadhawg, we are in the same boat. :ricky:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2020, 08:44:10 am »

Iow, it is illegal.

I try not to let them see me. :biggrin:

Thought it was only me..... :peepwall:
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2020, 09:06:05 am »
The reality of riding in Africa is that if you would ride strictly to road rules, you would probably end up injured/dead sooner... ;) This is not Europe or US and different culture exists across Africa (RSA included) which you need to learn to interpret and adjust to just to survive.... Expect everyone to obey and more likely to find yourself a bus quite soon... ;)
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2020, 09:23:49 am »
The reality of riding in Africa is that if you would ride strictly to road rules, you would probably end up injured/dead sooner... ;) This is not Europe or US and different culture exists across Africa (RSA included) which you need to learn to interpret and adjust to just to survive.... Expect everyone to obey and more likely to find yourself a bus quite soon... ;)

Totally.

I feel the same about Uber.  Ignoring the legality, I'd have to be half comatose drunk before I'm actually safer in the average Uber than driving myself.   I've had more near death experiences in Ubers than I care to think about.  Luckily I'm drunk enough to be like YOLO!!!! at the time usually :biggrin: