Close call.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
Had a very close call on Friday while riding on the Quernsey road to Bush Pub near Orpen gate. Wide, well maintained gravel road, we were doing between 90 and 100km/h approaching the incident.

As we came over a slight crest, a bakkie loaded with passengers on the back, was approaching on the wrong side of the road and we were riding 3 abreast....... Now usually this is not an issue as all 3 off us are used to riding hotdog and react in very specific way, but in this situation it nearly ended badly because I did not react like I should have by falling in behind the second rider.

The bakkie driver obviously skrikked a bit. Bakkie went into a bit of a slide and and drifted to the “correct” side of the road. My first instinct was that he was going to over correct and move back to the “wrong” side of the road.  Well clearly I was wrong and it could’ve very easily ended up as a very bad situation.

I take most of the blame...... travelling too fast, riding three abreast and looking for game instead of concentrating.

A friend offered some biking wisdom......Don’t hotdog the Hotdog  :3some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h82g3UnSyE
Lesson learnt......