Three Weeks and 6300km Around SA on my Bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Hi Fellow Dogs
I posted a lot of my trip on FB WD page as it happened........here is the after the event post with more or less route taken on google maps and perhaps a little more detail for those interested  :sip:

Thanks to Covids impact on the our Hospitality Business I had some time on my hands to do a nice trip around the country......In the interest of preserving ones marriage my wife was on the same page to let me go do what i love........

The West Coast sand road always had me curious and with some info in Hand from ChrisL on the forum I decided it was going to be on my todo list but first the Tankwa

Anyway i set out after the long weekend and the rains from Cape Town on a lovely clear day.....took all the back roads and i really had a more of less plan for the first few days nothing else......just My GSA ,all my kit to be self sufficient and a set of new TKC80 the open road and my map was going to lead me where ever the road decided.......

I felt the Tankwa Karoo might be a good starting point so i took the dirt road to Gouda then on to Ceres on the tar road towards Touws river but on the top of the mountain i turned left to take the little dirt road shown on Tracks for Africa map .....to come in on the Ceres Calvinia road through the Kareekloof Conservancy

This section was fairly hectic washed away two spoor road and i had to open and close a few farm gates........but it was early into my trip and first day fever i eagerly rose to the challenge of this technical section.

By the time i got to the R355 to Calvinia i was eager to stop at the Padstal for a bite and refreshment...... this is always a good stop
after letting my wife know i was still alive i set off for the Tankwa tented Camp site for the evening.

Must admit my first impression of camping in the dust and sand in my own tent , wasn't good , so i opted for one of the ready made tent sites and this was a good call.

I went into the bar and there where a few people around......amazing how in a place like this like minded we start chatting......all of us initially strangers experienced the tie celebration with Deon the manager in appreciation of nature and the closing of the day with the sunset at the top of the look out......what really hit home for me was he gave us all stones representing 10 years of life .....each and everyone got 8 stones cause it  seems apparently anything after 80 is bonus.........when he asked us to throw away stones representing how far we come in life.........the realisation of me only having two stones left ......left me with some really big questions to myself about really making a point of enjoying my time now..... :deal:

anyway the drinks started flowing and soon i left the deep stuff for another day...

Small world when I realized one of my new friends Willem Rudolf  had grown up in my home town of Winklespruit on the Natal south coast around the same time period.....we both ride GSA 1250......like a brother from another mother hehehe......we laughed and joked about all the stuff we got up to in that neck of the woods as kids....real blast from the past
Any way i saw the party was going to get hectic and like a responsible adult i eventually left for bed  :ricky:

Attachments

• Number 1.png
    Number 1.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 849