9000km in Oz , Sydney to the tropics & back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atgreg

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
My trip to the Offcenter Rally (OCR).

The OCR is a gettogether of riders in outback Oz, it happens every 2nd year and the location changes every time. It's always a hoot and a great excuse to get out into countyside for some great riding. The 08 OCR was to be held at Lorella Springs, https://www.lorellasprings.com/ , on the western side of the Gulf in tropical nth oz and about 4000km from my home in Sydney.

359367604_h4j9S-O.jpg

I'd been planning, preparing and looking forward to the trip for about a year and darn me but 10 days before I left I slipped a disc in me back, some rest, some physio and a lot of drugs and come departure day I was ready if still a bit stiff and sore in the back.

My trusty Africa twin was ready;
CR250 USD forks fitted - check
steering damper fitted - check
bumtank fitted - check
new tyres, chain, sprockets, airfilter - check
lets hit the road
337081552_Mdaay-M.jpg

I headed straight west over the mountains, bloody freezing, thats the problem with outback trips, winter is the season for it but the transports to get there are a pain. The 1st day and a half were a tar transport and seeing how my back was holding up, all good so when I got to nyngan it was time to hit the dirt finally and take the back way to Byrock.

357837044_LdEv9-M.jpg

it always takes me a few km to get my dirt legs back so I was a bit cautious at 1st but slowly got into it, the road was mostly good gravel with odd small lose section.

357837422_UynXx-M.jpg

The sun disapeared and clouds came scudding in threateningly, so i raced em to get back on the tar at Byrock. Outback dirt turns to grease with not much rain so it's a worry.

357837626_GBdNy-M.jpg

I made it to byrock just as the heavens opened, whew, it pissed down for 30 mins and then the sun came out again.

357837944_RPEUk-M.jpg

I made it to nth Bourke for my 2nd night