Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Registering my bike in a foreign country  (Read 453 times)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Registering my bike in a foreign country
« on: October 26, 2020, 04:16:56 pm »
Long story short: - My bike has been exported from SA to the UK. It is still on the ship,on it's way. It will be landed in London, for me to collect. It will arrive as an imported vehicle with no insurance, etc. The SA license disc is still valid.

I want to collect it and ride from the UK to the Netherlands and register it there. I have an NL address so can prove residency there. For what it's worth, I can prove residency in SA, the UK and NL at the moment. And I have a UK and SA bike license.

Has anyone done this or similar, or knows what I need to do? I don't want to get caught out when collecting the bike from the docks. Or at the port of entry into NL. Or at the registering authority in NL. I've asked around in the UK but the answers are vague and the official stuff doesn't cover this. In NL, it's worse, I can't speak the lingo yet and have no idea where to start.

Of course, with brexit happening, time is running out before the UK is out the EU.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Re: Registering my bike in a foreign country
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 04:37:51 pm »
The info is here - https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/voertuigen/motor/invoeren/verhuizen-naar-nederland-en-uw-voertuig-meenemen

Use something like this to translate - https://www.webtran.eu/dutch_english_translator/

Good luck.

Als u vanuit het buitenland naar Nederland verhuist en u neemt uw voertuig mee, dan mag u maar een beperkte tijd met uw buitenlandse kenteken rijden. Bij de Belastingdienst kunt u navragen hoe lang precies. Maar u moet er wel op korte termijn voor zorgen dat uw voertuig een Nederlands kenteken krijgt. Dit vraagt u aan bij de RDW.

If you move to the Netherlands from abroad and you take your vehicle with you, you may only drive with your foreign number plate for a limited time. You can ask the tax authorities for how long exactly. However, you must ensure that your vehicle has a Dutch registration number in the short term. You can request this from the RDW.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:07:27 pm »
The info is here - https://www.rdw.nl/particulier/voertuigen/motor/invoeren/verhuizen-naar-nederland-en-uw-voertuig-meenemen

Use something like this to translate - https://www.webtran.eu/dutch_english_translator/

Good luck.

Als u vanuit het buitenland naar Nederland verhuist en u neemt uw voertuig mee, dan mag u maar een beperkte tijd met uw buitenlandse kenteken rijden. Bij de Belastingdienst kunt u navragen hoe lang precies. Maar u moet er wel op korte termijn voor zorgen dat uw voertuig een Nederlands kenteken krijgt. Dit vraagt u aan bij de RDW.

If you move to the Netherlands from abroad and you take your vehicle with you, you may only drive with your foreign number plate for a limited time. You can ask the tax authorities for how long exactly. However, you must ensure that your vehicle has a Dutch registration number in the short term. You can request this from the RDW.

Tx, Amsterdam. That bit makes sense but it's the easy bit. In essence I have to go to NL from the UK, with a vehicle NOT registered in the UK.  And also NOT registered in SA.

I'll be doing the NL registration process as soon as I get there but it's the bit between the docks of London and the RDW process that's grey at the moment.

Offline spankme

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:11:24 pm »
Third party insurance 200 euro valid for a month.
Do you have the registration papers.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 06:19:35 pm »
Simple:
- insure the bike in SA for travel in EU
- wheelie the bugger across the channel
- park it at your dutch pozzie
- then visit the RDW to register it.
That's legal, normal and prolly cheapest too - same as when you'd have ridden it there, you globetrotter you  ::)
The EU has largely done away with borders, surely you know this?
Make use of it, gee net gas!  :P
Don't understand your question actually, simple as pie!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:21:31 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 06:28:56 pm »
Third party insurance 200 euro valid for a month.
Do you have the registration papers.

200? Fook!! Ah, well, ok. Where from?

Reg papers - nope. Had to hand them in to get export papers in SA. Then sent whatever I had to the shipping co. They are next to useless. I'm assuming I'll get that lot when I fetch the bike.

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 06:32:15 pm »
You will have to use something like a Frontier insurance. Have a look this page on the website.

https://overlandingassociation.org/insurance/

In a lot of instances, you can buy this type of insurance at the port of entry. So in the case, make an enquiry with the import agent if any insurance like this is available to buy in the UK which will cover you in EU as well.

Remember, as soon as you get to NL, convert your UK license for brexit. Also make sure you do your online application on the IND website for the 5 year permit. Before doing this, make sure your details are registered correctly at the gemeente. The IND will use the details from the BRP records for your residence card. You then also need to book your biometrics appointment as soon as possible. You are cutting it fine, but certainly still doable. Most important, registration at the gemeente first.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 06:47:27 pm »
Simple:
That's legal, normal and prolly cheapest too - same as when you'd have ridden it there, you globetrotter you  ::)

Coming from SA, nothing is as simple as pie. I'm used to fixing problems with money, now I've got to do things the AARTO way  :imaposer:

More specifically then, do I need papers to wheelie my bike on and off the ferry? I need papers for me, what does the bike need?

Don't wanna be trapped in the UK again. I have to do quarantine all over the place AND I'm currently C19+

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 06:53:39 pm »
You will have to use something like a Frontier insurance. Have a look this page on the website.

https://overlandingassociation.org/insurance/

In a lot of instances, you can buy this type of insurance at the port of entry. So in the case, make an enquiry with the import agent if any insurance like this is available to buy in the UK which will cover you in EU as well.

Remember, as soon as you get to NL, convert your UK license for brexit. Also make sure you do your online application on the IND website for the 5 year permit. Before doing this, make sure your details are registered correctly at the gemeente. The IND will use the details from the BRP records for your residence card. You then also need to book your biometrics appointment as soon as possible. You are cutting it fine, but certainly still doable. Most important, registration at the gemeente first.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Tx, Pumbaa, will check out that insurance option.

As for the rest, I'm on track. I've got a BSN, medical and some money in my Dutch acc. I've applied for the 5 year permit and am waiting for biometric letter. Spoke to them today at IND and they seem happy with the funds I've got, seeing as I've no job yet. UK license will be converted as soon as I'm back in NL.

Just need to stop coughing first ..........................  ::)

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 12:23:19 pm »
Simple:

Well, the saga continues ................................... it turns out that BuRP's way is the best way. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID!!!!!

Now, because I de-registered the bike in SA and made it ready for export (like a good boy), I can't do this. I can send the bike to NL from the UK port before it goes through customs but I can't ride it. Anywhere. Not until it's registered and insured. At the moment, it's neither.

I can intercept it pre-customs and ship it off to NL but with covid hanging round this is an expensive little exercise. And, of course, with lockdown, I can't transport it myself - thanks Boris -  you twat.

So, my plan is to sneak off to London and fetch it in a van and register it here in the UK. At least, then I have it and it's on the road again. I will be mobile.

Then, next year, I'll fetch it, wheelie across the channel, park it at my Dutch pozzie and go see the RDW................................... :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 12:24:51 pm by Cracker »

Offline alphadog

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 05:00:11 pm »
to register a bike imported in the uk , you will need a nova certificate, notice of vehicle arrival certificate, they will charge you duty and vat on value ,if your bike is 30 yrs old or older no charge. thats the reason most old bikes are imported into the uk and hardly no new ones. there is no easy way i am afraid, been there and tried to bring a bike here into the uk, both with agents and on my own, its a real headache.i did manage to get an old 1980 suzuki sorted with a nova certificate, but it took two months.best is to forward ship to your destination and work from there. your bike must be worth a lot to you to have gone to so much trouble. best of luck.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 05:37:45 pm »
The bike comes in for free coz it's a transfer of residence - TOR - part of my belongings. I may have to pay the clearing fees but no duty and no vat. Luckily it's 15 years old so doesn't have to pass an emissions test.

But, yeah, the bike wasn't worth a lot but it was a piece of me. Tight now, being here, I wish I'd never sent it. Way cheaper to sell and buy the other side.

Anyways, I'm in the hole now so gotta climb out. It's only money ( :'() but hopefully next year I'll be on the TET, somewhere exotic.

Sitting in the local, somewhere in the Balkans, will make all this seem like a little blip .................. :biggrin:

Offline BuRP

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 06:00:57 pm »
somewhere in the Balkans

Been there: awesome stretch of countries, there's more 'rural' than metropolitan, if at all of the latter - you're gonna lurrrve it!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 06:03:53 pm by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 09:40:11 am »
The bike comes in for free coz it's a transfer of residence - TOR - part of my belongings. I may have to pay the clearing fees but no duty and no vat. Luckily it's 15 years old so doesn't have to pass an emissions test.

But, yeah, the bike wasn't worth a lot but it was a piece of me. Tight now, being here, I wish I'd never sent it. Way cheaper to sell and buy the other side.

Anyways, I'm in the hole now so gotta climb out. It's only money ( :'() but hopefully next year I'll be on the TET, somewhere exotic.

Sitting in the local, somewhere in the Balkans, will make all this seem like a little blip .................. :biggrin:

The ToR should be already issued as my son's took some time while he was paying storage for his personal effects
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 09:43:37 am »
@Swart Gevaar imported his bike when he moved to Ireland although I am not sure if he still reads here
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 11:06:11 am »
Why not, don't they have books?

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 01:46:43 pm »
I got the bike yesterday. Took a drive down to London to fetch it in a van.

I was happy to see that no-one in England is taking this lockdown seriously, I though it was just me ............. a pity about the pubs but not the end of the world.

So, was this exercise worth it? From a purely financial point of view, the answer is definitely NO. Unless money means nothing and you do things for the hell of it. I sit somewhere in between. Now that it's here and I can see it again, I am happy.

For those contemplating doing this, here's some rough costs for you: -

R1500 to get the bike registered on NATIS for export (not necessary, you can ship on TIP but you need to carry on your SA bike insurance).
R35000 to get the bike collected from my house in JHB, packaged in CT and shipped to a port in London.
R7000 for agent in UK to clear customs and do the necessary paperwork for you (I think I got ripped here but can't prove it).
R600 for local MOT/roadworthy cost.
R3000 to get it registered including a year's road tax.

Plus a couple incidentals and I'm on R50k.

Due to covid slowing the system I can only shift the bike to NL post Brexit, so things might get iffy. Will ride it there anyway and make a plan that side. 

Using a TIP and then registering here will save a little but not much. But the bonus is you can ride the bike immediately, anywhere you want.
For me, I saved on 5 months insurance costs ............................ whoopee!!!!
If your bike is new or less than a certain age, you gotta get involved with CO2 checks/certifcations. IOW, taking a new bike outta SA is even worse.

Would I do this again? NO! My plan (sort of) was to be in NL and working by now but I had to get this bike sorted as well as some boxed stuff coming to the UK. I shipped to the UK coz I had no home or storage in NL.

I'm gonna have to get it on the road here and store it until some time next year when I can fetch it .............................................

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok