Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Old Postal Route Closed  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
Re: Old Postal Route Closed
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 08:45:46 am »
This is indeed very sad to hear, but it don't surprise me at all.

Some people have no respect for other people's property. How would you feel if somebody comes speeding down your street or property, throwing litter, making a noise etc?

I grew up on a farm an I respect other people's property. I basically idle through a farmers property and if I see the farmer, I slow down and wave at him and sometimes I even stop and introduce myself and have a nice chat. A couple of times I was even invited for a cup of coffee and then this quick stop ended up in an hour of chatting to a complete stranger.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1983 Honda XL600R

The following users thanked this post: VaalBaas

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 08:48:09 am »
Dis hoe baie van ons dit doen my maat, maar ai :'(
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 08:51:46 am »
Damn, was on my bucket list too. What a pity, but fully understandable. The farmer is doing what he needs to do.

Perhaps a pay system can be implemented, including recovery fees, etc?

Offline Constantinople

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 09:03:44 am »
Adventure biking has exploded in the last couple of years and will most probably remain unregulated.

Bikers without any respect for landowners, the proud so called "stealth campers" speed freaks and others were always going to cause this situation. Sadly more will follow.

Perhaps a solution to this will be as with access to other areas of the Cederberg for hiking would be the issuing of access permits for a fee. Gerrit at the Oasis does this already for hiking trails in the area. That would then regulate the number of bikers, bring the farmers in some income and at least also look after safety as someone will know who is on the route. There have been so many cases of lost bikers on that route over the years.

This may be the best. Oasis to do the admin. I don't think the farmer has the time. Tygerberg Moutainbike Club here in the Durbanville/Bellville area basically also creates, administrates and maintain a massive amount of trails on private farms. +100km with about +7000 members. And only a few missteps here and there.

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 09:21:24 am »
If I was a tour operator, I would jump at this opportunity to talk to the farmer and get exclusive concession to run groups on the Old Postal Route.

You will make money, the farmer will make money, and it will still be open to guys who want to pay to ride a spectacular route.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline BuRP

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 09:36:26 am »
I would recommend by appointment only access based on payment received prior. A combination lock with regularly changed code could be used and such details shared upon booking. Limited riders allowed per day etc.
........ The owner clearly doesnít have time or appetite to administer bookings etc. So Iím not sure about the practicality.

I hear you - and do/don't agree, too complicated!
KIS is my idea.
Cederberg Oasis still has (?) an honesty bar (yeah, I've heard about the odd ^&*#@ not adhering to such honourable principle, they're immature dishonest bastids...), but on the whole this seems to work!
Same here I hope, never mind the odd asshole who will not contribute.... but it keeps things simplest, and with it perhaps we stand a chance to 're-open' this route, I see nothing wrong with at least trying it!
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020

Offline Dux

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 09:58:33 am »
I would recommend by appointment only access based on payment received prior. A combination lock with regularly changed code could be used and such details shared upon booking. Limited riders allowed per day etc.
........ The owner clearly doesnít have time or appetite to administer bookings etc. So Iím not sure about the practicality.

I hear you - and do/don't agree, too complicated!
KIS is my idea.
Cederberg Oasis still has (?) an honesty bar (yeah, I've heard about the odd ^&*#@ not adhering to such honourable principle, they're immature dishonest bastids...), but on the whole this seems to work!
Same here I hope, never mind the odd asshole who will not contribute.... but it keeps things simplest, and with it perhaps we stand a chance to 're-open' this route, I see nothing wrong with at least trying it!
Agree with both sentiments , but it is up to the farmer to allow any access , I would think it wise to abide by his wishes for a few months and then get someone to approach him .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 10:23:37 am »
The very first Iíve heard of his issues, or, that a section of the road was private.

Iíve/we've always ridden slowly past his house and stopped or waved hello to anyone there. Iíve helped a few people Iíve come across, casevacíed/pillioned a broken wrist out and heard of some nightmares but never thought someone was grinding his gears about it.

Heís obviously one of those guys who would never ask a cent or say No to rescues or requests, even if it costs him precious time, money or sanity. Itís worn him and his family down and now the straw has broken the camelís back. We and he can bitch about bad behaviour of bikers and 4x4'ers, but, he's been passive about this until now.

Of course, if the route is over private land and he wants to close it, that's his prerogative. However, if he simply put up a sign at both ends both educating people on how to behave and that there will be a cost attached to both using the trail and a reasonably stiff fee if there needs to be a recovery. Use a deposit box at the farm or Snapscan and I am pretty sure heíd be a happier man.

Unfortunately, guys like this, once they've made up their minds...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:25:13 am by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Wayne

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 10:32:08 am »
Problem with putting signs up is that idiots cannot read.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 10:37:49 am »
and a reasonably stiff fee if there needs to be a recovery.

Problem is why does he have to do the recovery? Most times it is over weekends his time off if a farmer ever have "off" so still using the road and paying to do so will be good, but who is going to do the hospital and broken down bike recoveries?

I think best way is by " giving" the route to a tour operator and he takes groups through there with backup vehicle and pay the farmer to use the road.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2020, 11:12:22 am »
and a reasonably stiff fee if there needs to be a recovery.

Problem is why does he have to do the recovery? Most times it is over weekends his time off if a farmer ever have "off" so still using the road and paying to do so will be good, but who is going to do the hospital and broken down bike recoveries?

I think best way is by " giving" the route to a tour operator and he takes groups through there with backup vehicle and pay the farmer to use the road.
Agree. We all need to understand that even if the farmer charges a nominal fee, he still does not benefit in any way.

There arenít enough vehicles passing through to cover the cost of repairing the road, nor would it be a financial incentive for him to have his peace disturbed ober weekends. To make it worth his while to reconsider from a financial point of view, the fees would be prohibitively expensive and not attractive for is.

I like the idea of an operator of sorts but it doesnít address the issue of those that transgress. These individuals will not care much for signs, tolls and/or locked gates.

From the farmerís point of view itís much better to close it completely and treat anything that moves as a trespasser.

The solution would have to offer zero inconvenience and deliver meaningful benefit to the farmer. Iím thinking donations of time/resources/funds towards road maintenance for example. Controlled and guided access ensuring rules are followed etc because if he has to get up from his Sunday afternoon nap even once, it all goes back to complete road closure.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2020, 11:34:20 am »
I'd like to know, exactly what part of that trail is private and public?
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2020, 11:36:15 am »
If anyone is well suited to make that a concession, Tankwa Tented Camp or Oasis are both ideally positioned.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:28:51 am by Kamanya »

Offline ultraflight

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Always keen to ride.
    • Xplorer
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2020, 11:07:19 pm »
As a tour operator and a regular through the OPR, I have been in communication with the farmer that wrote that letter.
He is not unreasonable but its not only him that is gatvol, but his neighbors too.
They are not interested in a permit system for numerous reasons.
The admin burden is one. Furthermore, who gets the money, or which landowner gets how much of it?
They would have to create a conservancy, or a Trust, both if which takes up valuable time they donít have.
He would have to push a road around his fenced off homestead. Time, resources and money.
The money that permits would generate will not cover the maintenance and repairs to the existing road, plus they honestly do not have the time to carry out ongoing repairs. Not at R50 per head as are those for the Cederberg sites (Stadsaal, Truitjieskraal, etc).
For now we need to consider the road closed to the public.
I am going there in 2 weeks time and will discuss options and possibilities on 14 Nov.
Hopefully I will be able to post something positive here upon my return.

The following users thanked this post: OomD, Appel

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2020, 07:55:15 am »
As a tour operator and a regular through the OPR, I have been in communication with the farmer that wrote that letter.
He is not unreasonable but its not only him that is gatvol, but his neighbors too.
They are not interested in a permit system for numerous reasons.
The admin burden is one. Furthermore, who gets the money, or which landowner gets how much of it?
They would have to create a conservancy, or a Trust, both if which takes up valuable time they donít have.
He would have to push a road around his fenced off homestead. Time, resources and money.
The money that permits would generate will not cover the maintenance and repairs to the existing road, plus they honestly do not have the time to carry out ongoing repairs. Not at R50 per head as are those for the Cederberg sites (Stadsaal, Truitjieskraal, etc).
I am going there in 2 weeks time and will discuss options and possibilities on 14 Nov.
Hopefully I will be able to post something positive here upon my return.
Truly sad indeed that this route has been closed.... But do understand both Henk & all other affected farmers frustration & reasons for taking this decision.

I've had the privilege of enjoying that route quite a few times over the years & have made a point of always stopping at the main farm house each time to say hi to Henk & found out how they were doing. Sadly though, each time I'd stop there he'd express his frustration of how some groups of bakkies &/or bikes that have passed through their land, either caused damage to their property or hugely inconvenienced them in some or other way.

Really hoping that someway, after your visit, you'll be able to give some positive feedback.

Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Sprocketbek

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2020, 08:10:08 am »

I just hope people respect that.
There are some that just won't understand that, I'm afraid  ::)
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2020, 10:33:13 am »
Geez, people can't read, or comprehend, or both.

The farmer clearly states that the road he needs to transport their produce on is being trampled and damaged.

It's clearly the GS Boxer guys doing this, again.

:pot: :pot:

I have done this route, going both ways, about 6/7 times. It is sad that Farmer Brown is cutting us out, but I have wondered at the lack of rest/peace the farmer and family must have with the escalating popularity of this route.

If I was a farmer today, I would adapt to our times and welcome more traffic, lest the farm murderers is the only visitors remaining.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2020, 12:59:41 pm »

The farmer clearly states that the road he needs to transport their produce on is being trampled and damaged.

Ek dog jou opinie is dat geen GS daai roete kan ry so useless is hulle?!! ;) :peepwall:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2020, 01:31:14 pm »

Ek dog jou opinie is dat geen GS daai roete kan ry so useless is hulle?!! ;) :peepwall:

Dis die probeer wat so skade maak, Chris. :peepwall:

Offline wjn

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2020, 06:34:13 pm »
Have now planned to do the OPR twice....and bailed both times the day before due to various reasons, so this one will remain on the bucket list indefinitely it seems. Such a shame.

The land ownersí frustration is understandable, and justified if their road is being damaged by weekend warriors. I hope some form of mutually beneficial arrangement will be reached that would allow future use of the route.