Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2020 Honda Quest  (Read 6805 times)

TrompieKLR and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
Re: 2020 Honda Quest
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2020, 08:51:57 am »
 :sip:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2020, 08:58:26 am »
Day 4 highlights, video by Kalon films

Foto's Riaan Fourie:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:09:01 am by Losper »
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Chantal Burger

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2020, 09:51:23 am »
Day 4

The Richtersvelds finest tracks and roads are now behind us, the best of the iconic Bushmanland, Tankwa Karoo and Cedarberge lie ahead. Despite these adventuring delights, the days are starting to take their toll; there are some very tired bodies here in Kamieskroon tonight.

But let’s rewind to this morning. Different to other mornings, the teams were set off in 5 minute intervals on a timed navigation exercise that was tracked. It was a tricky exercise that required patience and attention to detail and led the group to the foot of “Peters Scramble”.

There have been many seriously difficult climbs in these first 4 days; this one is by far the hardest of them all. It took the group just over 3 hours to do the 500m 4x4 track, it is seriously eroded sandstone gravel with several switchbacks, deep erosion gulley’s and large step-up ledges.

Again, the Africa Twins were up to the task, for those who still had their doubts about the DCT, its constant torque and perfect gear selection made them converts. Despite numerous visits to mother earth, the bikes took it all in their stride.

As if to reward the contestants for the terrific effort of the morning, the rest of the day was a feast of rolling narrow trails and farm roads that skirted the borders of the Skilpad Reserve and Namaqua National Park, before ending in the quaint little village of Kamieskroon.

No-one is not in some way, carrying the effects of the previous 4 days. Brett, our medic, is doing a sterling job keeping the various ailments and scrapes from becoming serious issues.

Tonight’s presentations were;

Brian Harmse – Zanzibar
Annemine van der Linde – The Great Rift valley
Adriaan du Toit – The Richtersveld

The weather this evening is again unseasonably chilly and wet and even though all 13 competitors are in Spartan conditions in a hall, there is much humour and good spirits. Sleep though wasn’t wasted, tomorrow is another long day of True Adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chantal Burger

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2020, 09:52:26 am »

Offline Chantal Burger

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2020, 09:56:36 am »

Offline P.K.

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2020, 10:14:20 am »
Chantal can you clarify "Peter`s Scramble.." and that there is no reference to me and the hiding that hill gave me a while back.

Offline Chantal Burger

« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2020, 11:01:47 am »
Chantal can you clarify "Peter`s Scramble.." and that there is no reference to me and the hiding that hill gave me a while back.

Peter, That hill will also be referred to as “Peter’s Scramble Hill” I will remind Hardy to tell your story and show the video tonight around the campfire.  :pot:

Offline P.K.

« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2020, 11:38:25 am »

Peter, That hill will also be referred to as “Peter’s Scramble Hill” I will remind Hardy to tell your story and show the video tonight around the campfire.  :pot:

So a different hill?.....and therefore no need to refer to it again or to show any video`s .

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2020, 01:30:12 pm »

So a different hill?.....and therefore no need to refer to it again or to show any video`s .

Uhmmmm, I just might know about that little ‘incident ‘.  I might even have a certain little video.  :lol8:

Thanks for keeping us updated Chantal & Andrew.  Missing this big time.  :thumleft:
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline P.K.

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2020, 01:44:22 pm »

Uhmmmm, I just might know about that little ‘incident ‘.  I might even have a certain little video.  :lol8:

Thanks for keeping us updated Chantal & Andrew.  Missing this big time.  :thumleft:

Kobus the matter has been settled and it is clearly a different hill and I am in no way implicated.
The matter can now rest.

Great coveage Andrew.

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
2020 Honda Quest
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2020, 03:36:46 pm »
Story of #2.
Annemien van de Linde at this mornings briefing selflessly announced her withdrawal by giving up her place to the partnerless Leon Le Roux. (His partner fell out due to injury on Day 1)
Annemien has been struggling with a shoulder injury from a fall on Day 1 that was risking her teams competitiveness and her safety. She decided that before the medic had any say in her future, she would withdraw.
It was an emotional moment for all, for she long ago won the respect and admiration of the other competitors.
Whilst out of the chance to win the main prize, she will get to complete Honda Quest on her bike.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 03:38:07 pm by Kamanya »
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Losper

• Vendors
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2020, 04:09:37 pm »
Respect Annemien  :thumleft:
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline Sandban(g)k

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Bultfontein
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2020, 04:26:29 pm »
@Fenderbender hierdie is een van die dinge wat van die Quest n True Adventure maak  :deal:

Online Minxy

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • óÔÔò >^.^< óÔÔò
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2020, 04:31:50 pm »
Story of #2.
Annemien van de Linde at this mornings briefing selflessly announced her withdrawal by giving up her place to the partnerless Leon Le Roux. (His partner fell out due to injury on Day 1)
Annemien has been struggling with a shoulder injury from a fall on Day 1 that was risking her teams competitiveness and her safety. She decided that before the medic had any say in her future, she would withdraw.
It was an emotional moment for all, for she long ago won the respect and admiration of the other competitors.
Whilst out of the chance to win the main prize, she will get to complete Honda Quest on her bike.

An absolutely selfless act. Of course I'm saddened that Annemien can not go forward as a competitor, but find it very admirable that she knows where to draw the line in terms of risk and safety, this is all part of a challenge like Quest after all. It looks like this year the going is even tougher than before. What an interesting competition this has been so far.
*              ★·.·´¯`·.·★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★·.·´¯`·.·★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

The following users thanked this post: Sandban(g)k

Offline skydiver

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »
Apologies if my question has been answered somewhere already.......

Why does the number on a competitor's bib differ from the number on the bike that such a competitor ride with?
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

Offline Fenderbender

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2020, 06:49:22 pm »
@Fenderbender hierdie is een van die dinge wat van die Quest n True Adventure maak  :deal:

Danki Sandbank , jyt mos my HP2 vir my kom aflewer toe ek nog n bike kon ry ...  ;D

Ek moet se my hart het Saterdag k@k gevreet toe ek hoor dat Leon uit was  a.g.v sy spanmaat wat geval het . Soos ek hom ken het hy die beste gemaak van n slegte saak. Hy het my gisteraand op whattsup gese dat hy  die tyd van sy lewe het, alhoewel hy nie meer in die tel is nie . En dan hoor ek vanaand dat hy weer in die game is met n nuwe spanmaat  :thumleft:

Danki vir al die fotos, nuus  en feedback  Losper , Andrew en Chantal , jammer as ek op tone getrap het .....

The following users thanked this post: Losper, Sandban(g)k, Kobus Myburgh

Offline Grunder

« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2020, 07:13:56 pm »

Danki Sandbank , jyt mos my HP2 vir my kom aflewer toe ek nog n bike kon ry ...  ;D

Ek moet se my hart het Saterdag k@k gevreet toe ek hoor dat Leon uit was  a.g.v sy spanmaat wat geval het . Soos ek hom ken het hy die beste gemaak van n slegte saak. Hy het my gisteraand op whattsup gese dat hy  die tyd van sy lewe het, alhoewel hy nie meer in die tel is nie . En dan hoor ek vanaand dat hy weer in die game is met n nuwe spanmaat  :thumleft:

Danki vir al die fotos, nuus  en feedback  Losper , Andrew en Chantal , jammer as ek op tone getrap het .....
So lank as wat almal die lig aan die einde sien is dit oraait. Daai tone sal genees
NC700 F800GS

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Forum Whore
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2020, 07:15:58 pm »

Why does the number on a competitor's bib differ from the number on the bike that such a competitor ride with?

This year there’s a mix of manual and DCT in the teams, like in 2017.  They rotate bikes daily to experience both, with the exception that when there is very challenging sections, the vertically challenged gets first choice on the DCT.  The numbers should therefore be out by 1 only, unless something has changed.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 07:20:51 pm by Kobus Myburgh »
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline skydiver

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2020, 08:40:43 pm »

This year there’s a mix of manual and DCT in the teams, like in 2017.  They rotate bikes daily to experience both, with the exception that when there is very challenging sections, the vertically challenged gets first choice on the DCT.  The numbers should therefore be out by 1 only, unless something has changed.
Dankie Kobus
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

Offline Losper

• Vendors
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2020, 09:52:27 am »
Die ouens vorder mooi.