Buying local or importing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilpeetz

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
I recently upgraded my bike and have been looking around for parts and accessories for the bike. I initially started searching locally (South Africa) and thought some of the prices seem excessive so started looking online at what is offered internationally. In a fair amount of cases I can source internationally at better prices, ROE and shipping included. Yes there is a risk in after sales service and one must weigh that up against the cost, product etc.

My personal conundrum is that while I would rather support local why must I pay more for supporting local? Yes we have been through terrible times this year and businesses have suffered but so have we as individuals. One particular item I was looking at had a price difference of R50 between three local guys which apart from the seemingly excessive price begged the question where is the competition in SA? Why are the prices so similar? Is there price colluding or is it just pure coincidence that the best price to be offered by these three guys are practically identical? I don't know.

I suppose I have answered my own question by taking the approach that if the price difference is negligible support local but if significant (Also relative as significant will differ from person to person) rather source internationally. Would appreciate views and comments.

Thanks.