Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How deadly is motorbiking?  (Read 1656 times)

Online Blikkies1

Re: How deadly is motorbiking?
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 11:37:28 pm »
I'm cool with that, as long as it doesn't put me in a wheelchair. Be gone with that bad juju.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 12:21:45 am »
Two interesting concepts Noneking. In my new life as Senior dentist supervisor for JCU University I can see a great deal of my time is discussing with the students what you and I will do automatically after all these years which is to work out a flight plan and scan ahead for changes needed to reach the destination and avoid an incident which here usually involves an unpleasant interaction with AHPRA. Also, I should know that a motorcycle per time spent is 9 times as dangerous as the next sport I do by the fact that just about everything that aches when I get up is due to throwing a motorcycle away at some time.
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 01:42:56 am »
Ke?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 05:56:13 am »
these stats are totally wrong, where is the SA taxi death rate here, false information  >:( ;)
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 06:10:19 am »
I think if taken in the perspective of the amount of humans using motorcycles and bicycles as primary mode of transport and you use it per capita, not per billion kilometers or time traveled, it would be a totally different statistic. If you look at the whole of Asia (South, Central, East, South East) and the Middle East there are an astronomical amount if two wheel transport used.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 06:16:22 am »
Interesting stats, thanks Noneking.

Don't take this personally, but I always thought dentistry to be one of the most stable and risk free careers. And perhaps even a bit boring? Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, though. What challenges are there? And what risks? Apart from regular business things like you accountant hiding money, etc, are there dentistry-spesific risks that you face?

Honest questions.  ;)

Offline Bliknêrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 06:30:41 am »

The speaker is drawing comparisons between dentists and pilots and looking at ways dentist can limit risks in the practice by thinking and acting like pilots.
Heaven forbid you end up in a dentists chair that thinks like a biker.
Oh wait ....  >:D

Offline Noneking

How deadly is motorbiking?
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 06:57:53 am »

Don't take this personally, but I always thought dentistry to be one of the most stable and risk free careers. And perhaps even a bit boring? Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, though. What challenges are there? And what risks? Apart from regular business things like you accountant hiding money, etc, are there dentistry-spesific risks that you face?

Honest questions.  ;)
OomD, the speaker in this instance wanted to illustrate how risk, stress and negative outcomes can be avoided by being very strict about your “flight plan” . By sticking to proven procedures and following specific steps to ensure a positive outcome, not only of the proposed treatment, but also in your interaction with a patient.

I guess it depends on your definition of “stable” and “risk free” in this context.....

Dentistry is a very high risk profession.
- Always a risk of litigation due to patient dissatisfaction with treatment outcome / unrealistic expectations / poor communication by dentist
- Risk of of being infected with pathogens on a daily basis. Covid currently the obvious one, but dentists have always been exposed to airborne pathogens and also those in bodily fluids for as long as the profession exists
- financial risks due to changing medical aid landscape, cost of equipment and materials etc
- constant time pressures - sticking to appointments and not keeping patients waiting.
- high stress environment due to patient demands, uncooperative patients, high levels of concentration and focus for prolonged periods leading to burnout, depression, substance abuse and other general health issues.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 06:59:48 am by Noneking »
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

The following users thanked this post: Africanus, OomD

Offline caconcepts

• Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 07:17:29 am »

Honest questions.  ;)
OomD, the speaker in this instance wanted to illustrate how risk, stress and negative outcomes can be avoided by being very strict about your “flight plan” . By sticking to proven procedures and following specific steps to ensure a positive outcome, not only of the proposed treatment, but also in your interaction with a patient.

I guess it depends on your definition of “stable” and “risk free” in this context.....

- Always a risk of litigation due to patient dissatisfaction with treatment outcome / unrealistic expectations / poor communication by dentist
- Risk of of being infected with pathogens on a daily basis. Covid currently the obvious one, but dentists have always been exposed to airborne pathogens and also those in bodily fluids for as long as the profession exists
- financial risks due to changing medical aid landscape, cost of equipment and materials etc
- constant time pressures - sticking to appointments and not keeping patients waiting.
- high stress environment due to patient demands, uncooperative patients, high levels of concentration and focus for prolonged periods leading to burnout, depression, substance abuse and other general health issues.

And the above is why you ride your bike on the weekend. The perfect stress reliever after a week of looking at bad teeth......Makes complete sense....
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge, WR450F, GS 1200 Rallye

Offline Noneking

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2020, 07:25:07 am »

Honest questions.  ;)

And the above is why you ride your bike on the weekend. The perfect stress reliever after a week of looking at bad teeth......Makes complete sense....
Exactly......

I’ve also limited my working hours from the day I opened my practice. I have friends that see patients 7-7 weekdays and work half day most Saturdays. I would not survive that.....
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2020, 07:26:38 am »

Honest questions.  ;)

Cool, thx Noneking! :thumleft:

Never thought about it this way, to be honest. And all these risks are quite serious, especially infections and the like.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2020, 07:27:26 am »

Honest questions.  ;)

Then the bike also gives him shit........ :imaposer:

Offline RobLH

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2020, 08:05:59 am »

Honest questions.  ;)

Exactly......

I’ve also limited my working hours from the day I opened my practice. I have friends that see patients 7-7 weekdays and work half day most Saturdays. I would not survive that.....

I was fishing with a Canadian dentist a few years back and he highlighted Noneking's points - he also mentioned that dentists had the highest suicide rate out of any profession in North America.

Offline Roadhawg

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    • Technilube Oils and Greases
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2020, 08:10:47 am »

Honest questions.  ;)

Interestingly, I went to see my dentist when the lockdown started easing.  It had been a while and I thought the dude probably hasn't had much business, so I'll try support.  I should've seen it as a warning sign when I first booked and had to wait 3 weeks for an appointment because the dr had "been booked off for stress".

When I did finally see him he was a different human from the guy I had seen many times previously. He was clearly medicated and just really depressed and not all there. The Covid stress had obviously hit him really hard and I hadn't really thought twice about it.   I really felt bad for going afterwards. :(

Anyhow, on the flight deaths stats, I went down a bit of a rabbit hole during lockdown with that as well. There is a MASSIVE risk difference between commercial airlines and recreational and small private planes/charters etc.  Commercial air travel is basically the safest way you can get anywhere, but those small private plans and that are a different story.

Offline GhostSixFour

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2020, 08:15:34 am »
No mention of the gear used, and seeing as the stats are pulled by an american study, I'm assuming that they mostly used american stats? Where helmets are mostly optional..

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2020, 08:59:44 am »
Moet nou nie dat ek begin met hoe stresvol 'n advokaat se werk is nie... verkeersdruk om dit betyds te maak na my koffiestop in die oggend ens. Die lys gaan net aan  :lol8:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2020, 09:27:35 am »
I think, one way to mitigate risk in your profession, is to stop putting your tools in strangers mouths.  :peepwall:

Offline caconcepts

• Canvas & Aluminium Concepts
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2020, 09:54:36 am »
I actually have this decal on my Pajero......nice reminder.
DT50, XL500, F650GS Dakar, Honda NC700, F650CS, R1200GS, R1200GSA, K1200LT, G450X, G650XChallenge, WR450F, GS 1200 Rallye

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2020, 09:57:41 am »
Those stats cannot be right ????
DS
Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline BuRP

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2020, 09:59:06 am »
Ke?

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:
There's some Filthy Towels out there....  :biggrin:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020