Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Knife Making Tools & Tips  (Read 474 times)

Offline Kortbroek

Knife Making Tools & Tips
« on: November 12, 2020, 09:33:17 am »
Thought a thread along these lines might be useful.

Came across this advert for a small kiln on AVCOM. This might be useful to someone for heat treating blades?

https://avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=235273

For Sale, this P.S.M.O jewelry kiln, test fired a few times.
2.2Kw 230v
200x200x200mm internal dimensions.
Can reach temperatures of 1300 C. Controller can do multiple ramps and dwell times.

- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline Exploratio

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
Re: Knife Making Tools & Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 10:30:01 am »
Nice piece of equipment if you are into folders, but too small for fixed blades.
XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 05:10:24 pm »
Not sure where to post this but this is a tips thread so here goes. This is taken from a multi tool forum for a minimilistic carry. Basically the sheath is made from a MTB tube.

The following are the finer pointers for making and using the 'ranger band carry':

1) More robust design
2) Details on a good fit
3) Other suggestions

1) More Robust design
After a week of using the original, there is no sign of tearing apart, but fearing it might happen in the future, I rounded up all the perpendicular cut points for wear-and-tear prevention:
2) Details on a good fit
I found how well this 'sheath' work will largely depend on how you cut it and what kind of inner tube you are using.  For myself, I actually order a Avenir inner tube 26 x 1.90-2.125 from Amazon(original it wasn't for this project, but it turns out well ;) ):

The inner tube should fit onto the belt very loosely, if it is already 'gripping' onto your belt, you'd probably have a hard time to stretch it over to cover the tool.

If the band diameter is too narrow or the 'width' of the window you cut on the tube is too narrow, it might clam onto the tool a bit too tight and make difficult to get the tool in and out.  I find a good compromise is about 1 inch of rubber covering the tool at each end, making it easy and secure enough to use for a few times a day.
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 05:12:12 pm »
Here are two of mine. One for my Leatherman and one for my 111mm Swiss Army knife.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 06:41:47 am »
That's pretty nifty! Cheap and cheerful. I like that it should be super flexible as one bends or twists your body - should be quite comfortable. The Swiss Army knife: how likely that it may work itself out from the sheath? Seeing as it has no restrictions on the open ends.
Ek sal laaik van n prentjie hier sit, maar is te f0kken onnosel...

Offline Wayne

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 08:29:08 am »
That's pretty nifty! Cheap and cheerful. I like that it should be super flexible as one bends or twists your body - should be quite comfortable. The Swiss Army knife: how likely that it may work itself out from the sheath? Seeing as it has no restrictions on the open ends.
I have used it for 2 weeks with no problem. It is actually very tight. The first tube I had lying around it was too loose. So I went and bought a tube that had a smaller diameter.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Offline mox

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 01:41:15 pm »
Nice solution  :thumleft: