I don't understand the manufacturers....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Someone I know just bought a new 450 BMW, however now he needs to spend an extra 15 gorillas to make it "race ready". A bash plate, hand guards and some or other zorst pipe. There is also an article in one of the mags pretty much saying the same thing.

When I bought my Dakar, I never knew at the time that I would need a higher screen, centre stand, wide pegs, different tubes ...... the list goes on. I was parting with 76 gorillas already and really didn't expect to have to part with a lot more to make it "Adventure ready" or "comfortable".

Why can't these okes make a proper touring screen, or a bash plate for instance (just the basics) original equipment. I mean they are adventure or enduro bikes after all. What would it have cost to make the standard Dakar screen a little higher and a little more upright. Next to nothing I think. But afterwards you have to part with 1500 ront to get some decent wind protection. (Not me, thanks Pantsula).

And its not like they get revenue from the sale of aftermarket goodies either as these are usually sourced from other companies. Like I say, it seems strange that someone would design and produce a bike that would need 15K extra spent before it can really be used what it is designed for.

Or maybe that's it, it's designed for use in Europe or somewhere nice. Come to think of it, I remember some oke from Yamaha Japan was here visiting and came to one of our National jet ski races. He almost had a heart attack when he saw us jumping the things. "Ahh youh amad, you break it real soonah". He claimed any ski that was found to have been jumped would loose its warranty immediately back home.

No offence meant to any aftermarket vendors, I'm just having a rant cause I can't afford everything I need all at once, but I'll be buying the stuff anyway, as soon as I can.  ;)