Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rate a small town  (Read 906 times)

Offline Dwerg

Rate a small town
« on: November 19, 2020, 02:36:48 pm »
Small towns with good internet, do they exist? If you had to pick a small town to move to which would it be? Or if you live in one, how's the town and especially your internet?

Just an idea for now, need to see if this work from home thing sticks first but I'd need at least a 10 meg unlimited connection, preferably fixed line to work from home and in reasonable sticking distance from Cape Town and George or at the very least Cape Town.

Some examples that come to mind (without knowing the internet situation), Montagu, Gansbaai, Yzerfontein.
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Rate a small town
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 02:38:48 pm »
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

The following users thanked this post: Goose

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 02:49:00 pm »
Most towns on the coast between CT and George have good internet, shout once you've decided and I'll put you in touch with one of our branches to sort you out. There are so many choices to consider, how small a town are you thinking of? The idea of small town living is great but the reality can be boring and you can throw your name away quickly if you get roekeloos:) What are your requirements - like to swim in the ocean, be close to rideable tracks, isolation, have options to hit a busy pub etc?
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 03:01:50 pm »
Most towns on the coast between CT and George have good internet, shout once you've decided and I'll put you in touch with one of our branches to sort you out. There are so many choices to consider, how small a town are you thinking of? The idea of small town living is great but the reality can be boring and you can throw your name away quickly if you get roekeloos:) What are your requirements - like to swim in the ocean, be close to rideable tracks, isolation, have options to hit a busy pub etc?

Thanks. Not tiny but small like say Stilbaai or that sort of size. I'm sure I've managed to throw away my name in Pretoria so I am not too bothered about that  :lol8:

I live in Gauteng so literally anywhere else has better access to riding (although I still haven't been on a bike since my crash).

Idea is basically to live a little slower paced and not have to deal with traffic, busy shops etc. Wifes family are in Cape Town and George hence the requirement to be close-ish to that
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:02:50 pm by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 03:05:15 pm »
Kom ek gee jou n idee van wat Covid aan ons dorp(ie) gedoen het.
Die dag wat die plaaslike laerskool weer oopmaak toe staan daar 36 nuwe leerlinge voor die deur!! Almal kinders van ouers wat kom "skuil" het hier tydens Covid en toe uitgevind het hulle kan permanent hier woon en oor die rekenaar werk.

Ons kry vibre een van die dae!! ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 03:15:58 pm »
Stilbaai is 'n lekker plek maar glad nie meer klein nie.

Naby genoeg aan George vir goeie medies

----------

Ek is happy hier in Prince Albert. Internet is fine, Mense ook, Kaap is 400km en George 160km of so.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:23:47 pm by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 03:16:17 pm »
Tog net nie Prins Albert nie Heimer is klaar daar!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8: :pot:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Goose

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 03:18:40 pm »

Hey ons het twee hospitale...............................een is piep klein en die ander een is n wit olifant!! ;) ;D
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 03:33:13 pm »

Hey ons het twee hospitale...............................een is piep klein en die ander een is n wit olifant!! ;) ;D

Nie vir mensewat ordentlik siek wil raak nie.  :biggrin:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 03:34:19 pm »
Tog net nie Prins Albert nie Heimer is klaar daar!! ;) :peepwall: :lol8: :pot:

Hier is 5 of 6 ander wild dogs ook jou maaifoedie  :imaposer:

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:33 pm »
The cape in general is far more chilled than Gauteng, I did the same move 5yrs ago after a 10yr stint in PTA and couldn't believe the difference in mood, even in CT itself. I'm personally biased to where I live which is Sunningdale, basically the last neighbourhood before Melkbos, it's super chilled, far enough from town but close enough to all necessary amenities and stunning beaches, Melkbos itself is also very chilled. If you really want to get away then have a look at anything along the stunning Clarence Drive - Rooi-Els, Pringle Bay, Betty's Bay etc.If you don't mind not being near the ocean then look at Robertson or Montagu which have their own charms. Take a two week holiday and come do a tour to check it out for yourself, I and many others here will be more than willing to show you the cool spots. Oh ja, another little gem is Kommetjie.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 03:48:19 pm »
off topic
I stay in Kathu, not a small dorpie anymore.

but drove through Stilbaai last month and seeing it here rated as a small town had me confused.....its big now!

Dwerg I second what Blikkies says, you will have to go on a holiday and choose a town. Most will have good enough internet
I like George, but no work that side of the country for my profession
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2020, 03:55:17 pm »
My Mom lived in Montegu for many years - awesome place, I wouldnt mind living there....

They eventually moved due to my step-fathers health, he needed to be closer to a GOOD hospital, and the nearest hospital to Montegu is Worcester, and that was a little too far for his condition, so they moved back to Fish Hoek, where I grew up. Thats a kak dorpie, dont even look there....

But Montagu....  :thumleft:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Rob_A

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 04:36:07 pm »
Recently retired to Underberg and am extremely happy here. Unbelievable scenery and a great community. If you do consider moving here invest in a 4X4. The slightest uphill turns into an adventure when it rains - very character forming.
Thought about the Cape for about 10 seconds when making a decision where to live. Really pretty but never really liked the Cape for some reason except for Karoo area around Victoria West. Anyway everyone to their own.
One or two of my friends moved to Moz recently and seem to like it.

Sent from my BV9500Pro using Tapatalk

There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 04:52:11 pm »
Port Elizabeth. Dis net 'n groot dorp met als wat jy wil hę.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online pwt

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 05:02:24 pm »
Orania- do yourself a favour and book into the Oewer resort for a weekend and suss the place out. If you haven’t been there before, you’ll be pleasantly surprised

Offline Tabasco

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 05:02:28 pm »
+1
Ek luister verder op die radio

Offline valkerieforever

• Bike: BMW R850GS
  • Between the Smoke and Mirrors
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 05:11:03 pm »
I too have been considering emigrating to the West Coast from GP. I work from home two to three days a week and only go to the office as needed. The company I work for has an office in Cape Town.

I had a look at Strand/Somerset/Gordons Bay, but the places there are quite expensive. I would like to live within walking distance of the beach (IF POSSIBLE, the closer to the beach the more expensive), I started looking further north up the west coast. St Helena looks pretty good, it is only a little over an hour from the CPT office.

I need highspeed DSL or Fibre for work purposes. Is there anyone here that knows the area well? I need a place with a yard as I have 5 felines that are not strictly housebound and would like a small to medium yard for them to be able to do their thing outside. Small town living seems very appealing.

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 05:18:48 pm »
Yup, Orania. I was rather surprised and impressed when we slept over last year.

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 05:20:58 pm »
Valkerie, there's a good ISP in that area named Rapid Networks. I was looking at building a home in Brittania Bay which is next to St Helena a while back , was very surprised at the plot pricing, you can pick up roughly 400 squares for R200k, see link below.

https://www.property24.com/vacant-land-for-sale/britannia-bay/st-helena-bay/western-cape/7977?sp=pt%3d250000