Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rate a small town  (Read 8678 times)

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
Re: Rate a small town
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2021, 12:12:01 pm »
What's the latest on the Cape traffic situation?

I observe that Dwerg will be working from home. Wifey?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Yamaha T7 Tenere

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2021, 12:17:45 pm »

We both work from home. All we need is stable and reasonably fast internet.
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2021, 01:14:57 pm »
Yip, as mentioned in the article, most ISPs supply services over 3rd party fibre infrastructure like VOX running on Frogfoot, we build our own fibre and supply our own services over it, this results in quicker fault resolution and lower cost, a winning and popular formula. We have built over VUMA and Frogfoot and are poaching their clients quite easily.

Blikkies - asseblief man..........   :peepwall:  don't forget about our town..... NAPIER ......  we have lost Telkom ADSL, been promised LTe which Vodacom has provided but very unstable.... MTN is non-existent.. so we try use Wireless Internet, but oh man.... intermittent and overloaded!

Ideally - we have premises that we'd be prepared to have a Fibre linked Server and would then service the village via wireless.   :sip:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2021, 02:44:05 pm »

We both work from home. All we need is stable and reasonably fast internet.
Good to hear!

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Yamaha T7 Tenere

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2021, 07:47:59 pm »
Jirre, but you guys are obsessed with the WC. Was in George, Knysna etc two weekends ago. Might as well be in Pretoria or JHB - everyone on top of one another. Cape Town is not any better. Just think WC is overated - not bad, but way overated.

Sent from my BV9500Pro using Tapatalk

Let them be, we don't want them here.

Offline dw1

« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2021, 08:26:58 pm »
Dwerg what is your idea of a small town?  I dont think Durbanville and Somerset West can rate as small towns. they are more like burbs of the greater Cape Town area.
Current R80G/S x 3, TW200, 
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200, DR200; KTM 950 Adv

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
Rate a small town
« Reply #186 on: March 23, 2021, 09:28:03 pm »
Dwerg what is your idea of a small town?  I dont think Durbanville and Somerset West can rate as small towns. they are more like burbs of the greater Cape Town area.
I agree. Those suggestions came about after saying I want to be close (around an hours drive) to those areas. We were initially thinking towns with population of 1000-2000 and then decided that is way too small but well go explore and see. For the temporary stay in a rental, anywhere will do really
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:28:50 pm by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline dw1

« Reply #187 on: March 23, 2021, 09:50:30 pm »
Yeah good idea to rent and check it out.
We moved to a small town some years ago and have never looked back.
Remember  in the Cape town area an hours drive could be a very short distance.!  :laughing4:
Previous: YAM AG175, BSA Lightning 650, XT500, KAWA KZ1300, XR500R, VF750-4 BMW K100, WR45,0 DR650 x 2,  XT600 Tenere, XR200, DR200; KTM 950 Adv

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2021, 03:19:56 pm »
Small towns with good internet, do they exist? If you had to pick a small town to move to which would it be? Or if you live in one, how's the town and especially your internet?

Just an idea for now, need to see if this work from home thing sticks first but I'd need at least a 10 meg unlimited connection, preferably fixed line to work from home and in reasonable sticking distance from Cape Town and George or at the very least Cape Town.

Some examples that come to mind (without knowing the internet situation), Montagu, Gansbaai, Yzerfontein.

Greyton.

Not sure of the internet situation as I have only really camped there. But wow, what a place!
Small, peaceful, mountains on your doorstep, dirt roads galore, close to Cape Town.

If I could move there I would.
Or Port Alfred or Grahamstown, but they are a little far from Slaapstad for you  :patch:

Online MalcolmX

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2021, 03:56:35 pm »
I currently reside in Somerset West and also considering moving to a "smaller" town and away from all the hustle-bustle. Hermanus (+- 1 hour drive from Somerset West) checks all the boxes for us, specifically looking to rent in Volklip area, which is walking distance to some of the most stunning beaches you'll get. As a software developer, I really only need a good internet connection to be able to do my work.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 04:00:11 pm by MalcolmX »

Offline dw1

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2021, 09:12:20 pm »
Hermanus no longer really a small town. The place is bursting at the seams and lots of political shit still to come there.

Offline Jors Troelie

« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2021, 08:31:58 am »
Small towns with good internet, do they exist? If you had to pick a small town to move to which would it be? Or if you live in one, how's the town and especially your internet?

Just an idea for now, need to see if this work from home thing sticks first but I'd need at least a 10 meg unlimited connection, preferably fixed line to work from home and in reasonable sticking distance from Cape Town and George or at the very least Cape Town.

Some examples that come to mind (without knowing the internet situation), Montagu, Gansbaai, Yzerfontein.

Greyton.

Not sure of the internet situation as I have only really camped there. But wow, what a place!
Small, peaceful, mountains on your doorstep, dirt roads galore, close to Cape Town.

Or Port Alfred or Grahamstown, but they are a little far from Slaapstad for you  :patch:

When last did you visit? My intel says it's falling apart

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2021, 09:08:15 am »

Greyton.

Friend of mine was professor at Rhodes Uni, lived in Port Alfred. Retired and moving now to Riebeeck West, to get out of EC before the final curtain comes down. He said especially hospitals are fooked. However, he did sell his place in Port Alfred within 5 days, so there must be people who think it is great. In the end, it will all be africanised anyway (which has good and bad points, depending on your view of life).
Ek sal laaik van n prentjie hier sit, maar is te f0kken onnosel...

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2021, 09:40:39 am »
Hermanus no longer really a small town. The place is bursting at the seams and lots of political shit still to come there.
I would not move to Hermanus, Hermanus to me is a lot like Knysna I don't get the attraction.
I would move to Stanford though. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2021, 09:45:59 am »
Boggomsbaai or Vleesbaai!
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Sardine

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2021, 05:00:26 pm »

Greyton.

When last did you visit? My intel says it's falling apart

I lived there from August 2019 to March 2020.
It's all relative. After over 3 years in Botswana, Grahamstown was like a first-world town. Kind of.

The people made it for me.

Offline KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2021, 09:03:52 am »
Seems places either gets africanised or pam goldinganised - im donno whats worse..

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2021, 09:52:23 am »
Hermanus is actually very cool, township has no room for growth and there is no industry to attract more undesirables, yes there are issues with protesting occasionally but the cops shut them down chop-chop, I know the head and deputy head of safety and security at the municipality, hulle vattiekakkie.
There's not much more you can ask for than what Hermanus offers - quietish, safe, modern, good health services, own dam which is always full, beautiful scenery, warm sea,  good fishing, Hemel en aarde Valley and house prices are surprisingly reasonable.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2021, 10:14:31 am »
there is no industry to attract more undesirables,

That has kept none away in the past, look at Bettiesbay. Freebies attracks them. :deal:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2021, 10:19:55 am »
What's happening in Betty's, was there three weeks ago and didn't notice anything untoward?
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.