Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rate a small town  (Read 8664 times)

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Rate a small town
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2021, 10:23:13 am »
What's happening in Betty's, was there three weeks ago and didn't notice anything untoward?
Sorry Blikkies I got confused with Kleinmond.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline GAW

« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2021, 11:12:18 am »
Lucky enough to have a ďweekendĒ place in Stanford although the wife has lived there full time for the last year. Unfortunately my job requires me to be in CT  >:(
Itís close enough to commute weekly to CT - 2hrs in the car - 1hr 20 minish on the bike  :peepwall:

Definitely a small village but close enough to hermanus (25km) if you need a WW, hospital or vet etc - interwebs etc all available for WFH if you can. House prices not the cheapest because of proximity to CT as a weekend destination but there are a lot of properties on the market ATM with people offloading expensive non-used  weekend houses

Easy access to some good overberg riding too.

Hermanus no longer really a small town. The place is bursting at the seams and lots of political shit still to come there.
I would not move to Hermanus, Hermanus to me is a lot like Knysna I don't get the attraction.
I would move to Stanford though. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:14:58 am by GAW »

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2021, 01:06:34 pm »
Stanford
Vleesbaai
Yzerfontein
Robertson

:thumleft:

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2021, 12:59:48 pm »
Ok we are ready to get the ball rolling.

If you want to rent out your holiday home to us and our two dogs until end of November, 150km radius from Cape Town, let me know.
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #204 on: April 14, 2021, 10:34:21 am »
Ok done. We found a place in Hermanus and we'll be moving end of May
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

The following users thanked this post: Master Beerkie

Offline KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #205 on: April 14, 2021, 10:35:47 am »
Lekker man lekker. Se hello vir @Operator

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2021, 10:37:36 am »

There goes the neighbourhood  :pot:

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2021, 10:39:16 am »

There goes the neighbourhood  :pot:

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Toemaar ons gaan daar by die toeriste bly. Jou buurt is veilig  :lol8:

Dankie vir jou hulp  :thumleft:

Offline MalcolmX

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2021, 11:32:14 am »
I currently reside in Somerset West and also considering moving to a "smaller" town and away from all the hustle-bustle. Hermanus (+- 1 hour drive from Somerset West) checks all the boxes for us, specifically looking to rent in VoŽlklip area, which is walking distance to some of the most stunning beaches you'll get. As a software developer, I really only need a good internet connection to be able to do my work.
Whoohooo I guess I won this one!  :biggrin:

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2021, 12:46:34 pm »
I currently reside in Somerset West and also considering moving to a "smaller" town and away from all the hustle-bustle. Hermanus (+- 1 hour drive from Somerset West) checks all the boxes for us, specifically looking to rent in VoŽlklip area, which is walking distance to some of the most stunning beaches you'll get. As a software developer, I really only need a good internet connection to be able to do my work.

:lol8:

Do you homework though. I was warned that Voelklip above 7th has big irritations with baboons for instance. Something you won't know without local knowledge.

We are still going to explore the Overberg and Peninsula regions when we are down there. We only have a six month contract and need to find where to settle and ideally buy in that time. Furniture and stuff is going into storage and we are renting out our place in PTA.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2021, 12:57:36 pm »
Lekker, enjoy the Cape dude, I made the same move a few years ago, wouldn't change it for the world.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

The following users thanked this post: Dwerg

Offline MalcolmX

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2021, 12:58:55 pm »

:lol8:

Do you homework though. I was warned that Voelklip above 7th has big irritations with baboons for instance. Something you won't know without local knowledge.

We are still going to explore the Overberg and Peninsula regions when we are down there. We only have a six month contract and need to find where to settle and ideally buy in that time. Furniture and stuff is going into storage and we are renting out our place in PTA.
I spoke to @Operator the other day and he told me about the baboon issue and that it's really a BIG issue in some parts of the town, less of it in VoŽlklip towards the end of the town, but still a concern. Don't want them to catch our cats and rip them to pieces.

Good luck with the final search  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:00:25 pm by MalcolmX »

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
    • Social Travel Digital solutions
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2021, 10:31:21 am »

Goeie keuse. Kan sommer na aftrede aanhou bly daar

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2021, 08:13:35 am »
OK its my turn now

I have been working from home since March last year, way more productive and much busier as well, compared to being in the office
SWAMBO recently had some family deaths and spent almost 2 months down in Brenton on Sea with her mom helping her sort out estate things etc

During this time we asked ourselves why are we really living in this pretentious, polluted, crime ridden shit hole?

We have now made the decision to relocate, We are keen on the Garden route area as her mom is already there and we need to be close to her

SO I have the same requirements, Also need a reliable affordable uncapped internet connection, currently using Rain 5g, and I see this isnt available down there yet, but we have time as we have to do some maintenance on our house first and then sell, once its gone we are home free to go find a new home in a much less stressful area, add to that amazing riding, it should be bliss

Now this is what I need to know, I have browsed properties along this area and Mossel Bay seems like it might be the most affordable, however, I would prefer to stay out of the big towns
Along the map attached what areas should be avoided, for whatever reason. Its hard looking for a potential house when you know nothing about the neighborhoods in question
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Tony the Boney

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Threw away the key and locked the door
« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2021, 08:27:06 am »
Depends how far you want to be away from MIL.
If she needs weekly contact then base yourself around Wilderness/ Sedgefield.
Staying in Mossel Bay is great but its 110kays away one way.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2021, 08:34:17 am »
OK its my turn now

I have been working from home since March last year, way more productive and much busier as well, compared to being in the office
SWAMBO recently had some family deaths and spent almost 2 months down in Brenton on Sea with her mom helping her sort out estate things etc

During this time we asked ourselves why are we really living in this pretentious, polluted, crime ridden shit hole?

We have now made the decision to relocate, We are keen on the Garden route area as her mom is already there and we need to be close to her

SO I have the same requirements, Also need a reliable affordable uncapped internet connection, currently using Rain 5g, and I see this isnt available down there yet, but we have time as we have to do some maintenance on our house first and then sell, once its gone we are home free to go find a new home in a much less stressful area, add to that amazing riding, it should be bliss

Now this is what I need to know, I have browsed properties along this area and Mossel Bay seems like it might be the most affordable, however, I would prefer to stay out of the big towns
Along the map attached what areas should be avoided, for whatever reason. Its hard looking for a potential house when you know nothing about the neighborhoods in question

We are renting furnished at first to get a feel of the areas. We found plenty of struggling AirBnB places offering furnished rental until end of November. Surprisingly affordable in some cases too. We also looked at garden route and for me the best is Klein- to Groot Brak and George itself. If a little further, Still Bay is also a great option and like Tony said, Wilderness area.
I personally don't enjoy Mossel Bay and Hartenbos over December. Get's impossibly congested

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2021, 09:57:47 am »
Hey Tony, Sedgefield is where I'm dreaming of retiring one day, if I hadn't bought a house recently I'd have moved there sooner. Below is our(HeroTel) wireless internet coverage for the area, we are currently rolling out fibre in Geroge and Oudtshoorn + will deploy in Sedgefield before the end of the year so don't let that be a concern, you'll be well covered.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2021, 10:59:41 am »
Depends how far you want to be away from MIL.
If she needs weekly contact then base yourself around Wilderness/ Sedgefield.
Staying in Mossel Bay is great but its 110kays away one way.

The further the better BUT I cant always be an ass, so not too far, but the option is also that we get a bigger place with a cottage and she come stay with us

I have long been a fan of wilderness, beautiful place.

Sedgefield also looks awesome
Property24 searches show a lof of houses for sale in certain area, makes me ask, is it a decent area, or do the same rules not apply down there as in Jhb?
Meedingsride list quite a few houses and its close to the N2.

OK its my turn now

We are renting furnished at first to get a feel of the areas. We found plenty of struggling AirBnB places offering furnished rental until end of November. Surprisingly affordable in some cases too. We also looked at garden route and for me the best is Klein- to Groot Brak and George itself. If a little further, Still Bay is also a great option and like Tony said, Wilderness area.
I personally don't enjoy Mossel Bay and Hartenbos over December. Get's impossibly congested

I have the same thoughts about the bigger places where holiday season becomes a shit show

Renting could be a short term option as well, but we have a few months still before we make this move, for now its more educating myself about which areas to avoid.

You guys have already helped me  :thumleft:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2021, 01:32:38 pm »
@YoungGSer - his family live in Cape St. Francis and only have good things to say - the Canals is pretty upmarket, which might work in your fabour ito internet speed, they have probably got that sorted in that area...?
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2021, 01:35:12 pm »
Springerbaai, between Dana Bay and Vlees Bay is my favorite place on earth