Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Franschhoek Pass - again  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Dux

Re: Franschhoek Pass - again
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 05:42:56 pm »
Saw photographs this afternoon , the bikes are trashed , from what I could see it looked like a ZX10 and a Triumph Speed Triple or 1050 Tiger , but couldnít be sure on either .
Does anyone have any news on the couple ?
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Online Az

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • It wasn't me...
    • The Marshals
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 07:18:23 pm »
20H51 - 23 Nov 2020
The guys that fell, Terence and Pauline have both had ops already. They operated on his leg yesterday and today they had to drain his colon that had ruptured. Pauline has many challenges herself. He recently turned 70 so his challenge will be real hard compared to someone who is a youngster. They ride for our club Odysseus and to be honest, we are all very rattled by what happened. All we can do is pray for God's hand over their lives and that they can have a speedy recovery. Both are still in ICU.

Offline Dux

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 06:43:49 am »
Glad to hear they are ok .
Bikes are Speed Triple and Fireblade , both FUBAR
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline @offroad

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 08:12:05 am »
Sjoe that looks quite rof - glad they are okay
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I never take the shortest route.

Offline Dux

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 08:17:12 am »
Got some feedback from friends of the couple , by all accounts and that of witnesses it was the fault of the Fireblade rider , went wide through a corner , ironically he is the one that walked away from this .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Vulcan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 09:22:49 am »
The front tire on that Blade looks dodgy.

Offline teebag

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 11:39:24 am »
 :'( how, that is not even on the pass  ???

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 12:27:56 pm »

Looks like next to (or close to) Le Petit Ferme

There's a bit of a twist in the road (and a bump if I'm not mistaken)
If you come down from the twisties and want to open up on that piece of 'straight' road after the hairpin you can pick up speed very rapidly
If you are not awake or paying attention that little twist can have you on the other side of the road in no time.

Add a bit of target fixation and way too much speed and you can get in trouble quick
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 12:36:26 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 01:06:13 pm »
Shoo.. very sad, I really hope the injured make a full recovery and are able to enjoy riding again.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline teebag

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 01:16:03 pm »
i guess, i donít often do the pass from that direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 01:41:31 pm »
The blade tyre has a big chicken strip. It would be interesting to see what the insurers think of that bald tyre when they assess the roadworthiness of the blade.
This type of very sad situation is the reason I donít ride on Sundays any longer. One close encounter with morons is one too many for me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:31:39 pm by manxkipper »

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2020, 08:51:10 pm »

Looks like next to (or close to) Le Petit Ferme

There's a bit of a twist in the road (and a bump if I'm not mistaken)
If you come down from the twisties and want to open up on that piece of 'straight' road after the hairpin you can pick up speed very rapidly
If you are not awake or paying attention that little twist can have you on the other side of the road in no time.

Add a bit of target fixation and way too much speed and you can get in trouble quick

100% correct, and though the "dip" in the road has been repaired, it will still upset a bike when goingnover it fast, and steer you wide. And the bump/dip is onthe very first left bend after the little straight from the U-bend.

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 08:52:12 pm »

Dry weather so the less tread means more rubber, like a slick.

I know the insurance would not see it this way, but it is true.

Offline Flowers

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Happiness is
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2020, 09:28:05 pm »
Hope you recover soon, @2StrokeDan

?

Lame joke ::)

Not knowing any background for a joke like this, I assume it is a thing between the members, it is fucked up to make jokes like this in my opinion.

Rich comment based on lots of assumptions then it seems... ::)

You are entitled your opinion, something I really could not care less about.

Do you think it is OK to joke in a thread about a serious accident creating the impression a WD was involved, when new, and maybe old members might not understand the joke, in a thread which is not really funny to begin with?

I stated my opinion and could also not care less if you found it rich or not.
Pietertjie must be a Harley rider a bit out of place here

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Dux

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 06:52:34 am »

I am horrified at how many unroadworthy bikes there are out there , that CBRís tyre should have been replaced long ago  , then I wonder if something as visible as the tyre was ignored then what about other things , there I think of brake pads for example . So many bikes out there with wrong tyre sizes , tyres with unsuited load or speed rating , all dangerous things .
Yesterday a clients relative brought him through to collect his bike . The relatives bike , a GSXR750 was running so rough it almost sounded like a twin , I mentioned this and the guy argued that it was running properly , I disagreed so I walked across and had a look at the bike . Oil leak on LHS running all the way back and onto the tyre , fork seals trashed and even the calipers and discs coated in oil . I pointed out these things to the guy , his response was that his friends tell him it is fine . Oh well , another person on his way to a Darwin Award , I just hope no one else is involved .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2020, 07:42:16 am »

I am horrified at how many unroadworthy bikes there are out there , that CBRís tyre should have been replaced long ago  , then I wonder if something as visible as the tyre was ignored then what about other things , there I think of brake pads for example . So many bikes out there with wrong tyre sizes , tyres with unsuited load or speed rating , all dangerous things .
Yesterday a clients relative brought him through to collect his bike . The relatives bike , a GSXR750 was running so rough it almost sounded like a twin , I mentioned this and the guy argued that it was running properly , I disagreed so I walked across and had a look at the bike . Oil leak on LHS running all the way back and onto the tyre , fork seals trashed and even the calipers and discs coated in oil . I pointed out these things to the guy , his response was that his friends tell him it is fine . Oh well , another person on his way to a Darwin Award , I just hope no one else is involved .

He probably means the Gixxers rev limiter is working fine.... :lol8:

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Dux

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 07:53:24 am »

Too true , are you speaking from personal experience  :lol8:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:57:53 am by Dux »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2020, 08:06:15 am »

Too true , are you speaking from personal experience  :lol8:

:laughing4: Nee wat boet, nog nooit gepla gewees met bikes staan en rev nie.
Ek nog altyd gewonder as jy een van daai pre sling gsxr`s normaal sal ry en diens, hoeveel km jy uit daai enjin sal kry.

xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Dux

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 09:43:42 am »
Hulle is betroubaar ,  750 en 1100 , baie sterk enjins .
Na elke rally bel die ouens vir enjins , malligheid
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline chicco

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never give up.
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 11:25:31 am »
Is the tyre not roadworthy anymore, did anyone inspect it or is it just an opinion?   :sip:
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R