Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Franschhoek Pass - again  (Read 4435 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
Re: Franschhoek Pass - again
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 12:00:54 pm »
Is the tyre not roadworthy anymore, did anyone inspect it or is it just an opinion?   :sip:

I formed an opinion based on the picture. My words were:

"The front tire on that Blade looks dodgy."

Because it looks dodgy.

Offline EssBee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2020, 01:45:58 pm »
The blade tyre has a big chicken strip. It would be interesting to see what the insurers think of that bald tyre when they assess the roadworthiness of the blade.
This type of very sad situation is the reason I donít ride on Sundays any longer. One close encounter with morons is one too many for me.

Yes, that wide chicken strip could mean that the rider is not into heavy cornering much.....so, if he does get in over his head....what then? Runs wide?

Offline manxkipper

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 01:51:01 pm »
Yep. Any half decent sportsbike rider will have much less of a strip. Confusing intentions with ability is very common with the sunday racer wannabees.

Offline Dux

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 02:44:06 pm »
The blade tyre has a big chicken strip. It would be interesting to see what the insurers think of that bald tyre when they assess the roadworthiness of the blade.
This type of very sad situation is the reason I donít ride on Sundays any longer. One close encounter with morons is one too many for me.

Yes, that wide chicken strip could mean that the rider is not into heavy cornering much.....so, if he does get in over his head....what then? Runs wide?

As we all know , if you start running wide apply countersteering principles , it was one of the first things we taught at the advance riding schools .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline sgt

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2020, 09:37:47 pm »

As we all know , if you start running wide apply countersteering principles , it was one of the first things we taught at the advance riding schools .

As I understood he went wide, then instead of trying to correct it, leaning even more (and risking a lowside), he just decided to jump and fire the missile of a Fireblade into the other lane. That's terrible.

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2020, 03:50:23 am »
This is the reason why I will admire a superbike on a track or on a showroom floor,
but the moment it is stared up and ridden out onto a public road, my heart sinks and I lose interest in the bike totally.
It isn't the bike - it's the rider !.
When they flash pass me at two hundred and plenty and disappear into the distance,
I want to disassociate myself entirely from that sub-species of rider.

I say throw the book of laws and regulations at the 'Blade rider !
Instead, the authorities will inexorably link their behaviour with my far less frenetic riding and impose onerous restrictions on us all.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

The following users thanked this post: ETS, Lem, Grumpleton

Offline Grumpleton

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 06:37:52 am »
Interesting and a bit off topic. I have never ridden a super bike and have never had the interest in ridding one ,
but sitting at the Spur in Piketburg on Sunday I noticed a strange thing.
when the adventure bikes come in to the petrol station, they do it with dignity and quietly, the super bike riders come in and every one of them rev up the bike before switching it off and then again when they start it ,what is all this about , to me they just looked like a bunch D@@S`s , the problem being the comment from the table next to me was," why do all you bikers always have to make so such noise ".
Bikes :  KTM 1190 Adventure R ,  KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline Dux

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2020, 06:45:11 am »

As I understood he went wide, then instead of trying to correct it, leaning even more (and risking a lowside), he just decided to jump and fire the missile of a Fireblade into the other lane. That's terrible.

The chances of low siding are extremely low if you countersteer correctly , that is why I recommend advanced rider training , I am 99,99999% certain that Fireblade rider has never had such training . In this particular case and looking at the wear pattern on the tyre the rider wasnít going too fast , too fast for his abilities but not the bike or the tyres , when he realised he was running wide he should have applied pressure ( pushing away ) on the inside handlebar and the bike would have tightened its line and problem averted .
A lot of riders out there survive purely on luck , I wonít say that skill comes into the equation because if you are applying the wrong technique then it isnít skill . But knowing what the correct thing is to do in a situation prevents accidents and saves lives .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline Dux

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2020, 06:52:20 am »
Interesting and a bit off topic. I have never ridden a super bike and have never had the interest in ridding one ,
but sitting at the Spur in Piketburg on Sunday I noticed a strange thing.
when the adventure bikes come in to the petrol station, they do it with dignity and quietly, the super bike riders come in and every one of them rev up the bike before switching it off and then again when they start it ,what is all this about , to me they just looked like a bunch D@@S`s , the problem being the comment from the table next to me was," why do all you bikers always have to make so such noise ".

Most are a bunch of wankers , no consideration for others , donít forget that a lot of superbike riders are part of a club and that really brings out the asshole in them .
A company 50 metres away from my business premises has functions every couple of weekends , never a problem until the bikers are there , they will park their cars ( while walking around in their biker regalia ) anywhere and everywhere with no consideration , even when I have put up signs requesting not to park in front of the gate you can be certain someone will park me in . When they are asked to move it is attitude . Isnít it just so strange that the bikers arenít invited to have their events there anymore
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:57:48 am by Dux »
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2020, 08:10:56 am »
Also a side issue but relevant to the attitude of superbikers...
Few of them have number plates or any identification at all.
That puts them into the "outlaw" category and complicates things for us law-abiding guys.

If they were doing this in Oz or NZ, they would be arrested on the spot for defeating the course of justice and have their machines confiscated.

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2020, 08:23:57 am »
Julle klomp ou suurstofdiewe klink ernstig afgunstig op die superbike ryers.
Kry julle nie meer hoendervleis as n superbike oor die 200km/h verby jou jaag nie.
Om nie eers te praat van n lekker wheelie nie.
Love it as ek in my huis is en hoor n superbike ernstig gesels en bietjie gas gegee word.
Lekker memories. Gun die manne wat nog kan hulle fun  :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2020, 08:49:34 am »

Totdat iemand 'n ou oom en tannie in ICU in ploeg omdat hy te veel fun gehad het

:'(

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: ETS, Vulcan

Offline Dux

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2020, 08:58:20 am »
Kry julle nie meer hoendervleis as n superbike oor die 200km/h verby jou jaag nie.
Love it as ek in my huis is en hoor n superbike ernstig gesels en bietjie gas gegee word.

My attitude is that just because a guy can do 200 on a superbike doesnít make him a good rider , Franschhoek pass is a good example . I live aftermarket pipes , nothing as good as a sweet sounding bike , but within limits of course , but a lot of the superbike guys remove the whole silencer , I live about 1km from the N1 and I hear the bikes on Sunday mornings , then I wonder what non bikers think of them if I am pissed off with them  .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

The following users thanked this post: Mikel89

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2020, 09:00:06 am »
My attitude is that just because a guy can do 200 on a superbike doesnít make him a good rider , Franschhoek pass is a good example .

100%
Even if you can really ride well and can control your bike, no-one can control the environment you barrel through

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2020, 09:11:18 am »
Dit is ook nie te se die oom en tannie het stadig gery nie.
Ek twyfel of enige boer hou van adventure bikes wat by sy plaas verby jaag en sy vrugte vol stof los nie, of overshoot by n draai en sy grens drade uitry nie.
Wat drink en ry betref, dink ek die groot sondebokke is die adventure bike manne want `n spietkop gaan jou mos nou nie aftrek op die grond nie.
Dit is nogal `n geneigdheid vandag om te se ek is nie perfek nie, maar daar is ander ouens wat erger goed aanvang.... :patch:
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2020, 09:16:56 am »

Ek gun hulle die pret ten volle - op 'n renbaan of 'dragstrip' waar slegs hulle lewens op die spel is.
Waar ek en my familie op openbare paaie ry is nie die plek om 'n ernstige wanbalans tussen die brein en die regte gewrig uit te oefen nie.
Daardie onverskillige optrede gaan net reperkussies ontketen vir ALLE motorfietsryers.

Offline ClemS

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2020, 09:33:30 am »
Ek onthou nie te lank terug nie het een van die Dogs met 'n DS ook 'n draai te wyd gevat, afgemoer en bene gebreek.... Dis nie net superbikes nie.... So, laat staan nou maar die engelvlerkies vir al die DS ryers, ek sien gereeld van die donners wheelie sommer in Sandton tussen verkeer deur en het ook al erge negatiewe opmerkings oor dit gehoor.

So, dis ses van die een en 'n halwe dosyn van die ander.

Daar sal altyd 'n klein groepie fokkers wees, wat dit vir die groter en die groep wat selfbeheersing toepas, gaan opmors iewers. Niemand is hier uitgsluit nie.

:patch: :patch:
The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

Online Wooly Bugger

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2020, 10:08:27 am »
Hope you recover soon, @2StrokeDan

?

Lame joke ::)

Not knowing any background for a joke like this, I assume it is a thing between the members, it is fucked up to make jokes like this in my opinion.

Hi @Pietertjie

If you had been aware (from your post count it appears unlikely) of the long forum (and social) relationship between 2SD and myself, viewed in light of Eisbein's post, you would most probably have understood the lame fucked-up nature of my post. It was not intended to offend you, or anyone else for that matter. If it did then I offer you my apology. The same apology is extended to @2StrokeDan

I know that pass very well after spending many a weekend with my parents who lived at the base of the pass. I am not a praying man but many a time did I silently say a prayer when the bikes came past on a Sunday morning. Always in hope that they all return without harm.
This is not life or death. It is an internet forum.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2020, 10:34:22 am »
Daar sal altyd 'n klein groepie fokkers wees, wat dit vir die groter en die groep wat selfbeheersing toepas, gaan opmors iewers. Niemand is hier uitgsluit nie.

100% fact

Offline BuRP

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2020, 10:50:10 am »
If they were doing this in Oz or NZ, they would be arrested on the spot for defeating the course of justice and have their machines confiscated.

Oh please, emigrate already..... to those two shit countries in which citizens have no more rights anymore but a gazillion freedom-restricting laws to adhere to!
And they are made to adhere to them, by superstrict policing if not reported by their very own neighbours "because that's the right thing to do" according to State-sponsored TV ads, the mere principle the Pitts of Indoctrination!
Have fun there, the absolute maximum toptopspeed in NZ being 100 km/h.... and you will not dare to go quicker because of the astonishingly costly fines which you WILL incur!
Oz is it's close second, a vast country in which nothing's possible anymore, because personal freedom has been eradicated!
Viva the RSA in that repect!  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:57:55 am by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

The following users thanked this post: JonW, jaybiker, JonS