Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sport - To buy Y/N  (Read 870 times)

Offline Van_Biker

2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sport - To buy Y/N
« on: November 24, 2020, 11:14:43 am »
So….my ass is itching for something with a little more excitement especially when it comes to not having to feel to concerned about handling should you go off the tar for a little bit of dirt(nothing major)

Currently on a 2014 new shape VStrom 1000, not a day’s issues to date even though just over 2 years ownership but now have my eyes on a 2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sport. Just over 4000k’s done, lots of extra’s. MT & not DCT

Am I buying into another bike that can be expensive to maintain in the long run?

Durability of these bikes in comparison to similar adventure bikes….

What surprises me is that you don’t see so many of them on sale….mmm…makes you wonder….do people keep them cause they cannot sell them/don’t want to sell them or are they just not big sellers?

And anything to perhaps look out for on such a bike?

Main purpose would be to do long distance trips with the wife BUT if the tar ends and dirt road leads to your destination or a nice place is off the tar…then I want to know that my bike can handle the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 KTM 1290 SAS
2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
2010 Versys 650
2007 KLR 650

Offline RyC

Re: 2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sport - To buy Y/N
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 08:04:01 pm »
I'm stunned. Subbed to this as I was expecting the AT crowd to weigh in and offer some good advice. Are these bikes selling?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline Van_Biker

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 08:12:00 pm »
I'm stunned. Subbed to this as I was expecting the AT crowd to weigh in and offer some good advice. Are these bikes selling?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
My question as well.......

2019 KTM 1290 SAS
2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
2010 Versys 650
2007 KLR 650

Offline XRRX

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
You cannot go wrong with the AT!!
The first 2 year's models had mainly some front suspension issues, but after that - Bulletproof!!!

The Adv Sport came with the "face-lift" and various improvements like:
1.   Suspension as hinted
2.   Improved Engine response
3.   Improved foot pegs - front and rear
4.   Improved speedo cluster
5.   More riding modes
6.   ...and of course the larger fuel tank

Show us pictures when you have it please... :biggrin:

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 08:26:11 pm »
Go for it!
I love the Adventure Sport and would easily trade mine for one.  Larger fuel capacity and higher seat is what attracts me, oh and the colour scheme.
Maintenance is no more, or less than any other big adventure bike IMO.  Reliability is good, problems few and far in between and the common ones well documented.

Pity it’s not a DCT, that’s certainly ideal in the AS.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Offline Van_Biker

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 08:25:51 pm »
[mention]XRRX [/mention] & [mention]Kobus Myburgh [/mention] , 2 up with luggage, panniers and topbox, anyone of you perhaps ridden this way?

2019 KTM 1290 SAS
2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
2010 Versys 650
2007 KLR 650

Offline Kobus Myburgh

• Grey hound
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:14 pm »
[mention]XRRX [/mention] & [mention]Kobus Myburgh [/mention] , 2 up with luggage, panniers and topbox, anyone of you perhaps ridden this way?

Unfortunately not, I don’t do the pillion thing. 

There were more than one couple when we did Adventure Roads last year and they all had a blast, although the worst off tar roads were Sani and Swartberg Pass.
"If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them.  I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

-David Livingstone-

Online McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 08:59:19 pm »
So I love my DCT (1000L)....easily my favorite bike to ride and it has given me not one bit of hassle over about 20k of pretty hard riding.
My wench though finds it quite uncomfortable in comparison to the S10. After trip to KZN bash this year I was told in no uncertain terms that anything more than a breakfast run on the AT ....I was going to be on my own

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline Van_Biker

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 09:11:56 pm »
So I love my DCT (1000L)....easily my favorite bike to ride and it has given me not one bit of hassle over about 20k of pretty hard riding.
My wench though finds it quite uncomfortable in comparison to the S10. After trip to KZN bash this year I was told in no uncertain terms that anything more than a breakfast run on the AT ....I was going to be on my own

And that’s what’s important to me.....being able to enjoy trips with the wife, panniers and top box loaded, weekend breakaway etc...so not only should there be minimal discomfort but the bike should also be able to carry the load.

2019 KTM 1290 SAS
2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
2010 Versys 650
2007 KLR 650

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 09:30:32 pm »

And that’s what’s important to me.....being able to enjoy trips with the wife, panniers and top box loaded, weekend breakaway etc...so not only should there be minimal discomfort but the bike should also be able to carry the load.

You will have to take her for a test ride and let your wife tell you, not everybody is comfortable on the same bike.

Example my wife loved to pillion on the Varadero but my son hated it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:31:28 pm by Bikerboer1973 »

Offline XRRX

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 10:45:05 pm »
I don't have experience on the AT with pillion, but I really can't see why it should be worse than any other bike except for something like a Gold Wing... Friend of mine does that regularly also on an ATAS, no complaints there...

Online McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 10:57:08 pm »

Bike can definitely handle the load. Maybe your missus fits the geometry of the bike better than mine does. We do a lot of dirt and are standers rather than sitters...the pillion pegs are miningi.
As Bikerboer says, take her for a test ride and see from there.
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 10:14:56 am »
I enjoyed a long weekend in Whales with Touratech UK. We were two up on the 800GS and another couple on the AT Adventure Sport DCT. The bike can definitely handle the load on mixed terrain from what I could observe.

Best advice given already, take your wife for a test ride, only she can tell. My wife loves to pillion on the 1200GS, less so on the GSA but still OK. She hated the 1600GTL. Ergonomics plays a big role and each pillion will have a different experience on the same bike.

Go ride one, as much as you need to feel the bike and cannot go by other’s opinions, your pillion needs to do the same.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 10:31:46 am »
I enjoyed a long weekend in Whales with Touratech UK. We were two up on the 800GS and another couple on the AT Adventure Sport DCT. The bike can definitely handle the load on mixed terrain from what I could observe.

Best advice given already, take your wife for a test ride, only she can tell. My wife loves to pillion on the 1200GS, less so on the GSA but still OK. She hated the 1600GTL. Ergonomics plays a big role and each pillion will have a different experience on the same bike.

Go ride one, as much as you need to feel the bike and cannot go by other’s opinions, your pillion needs to do the same.

My lady hated the AT but the Akro may have been the culprit

The following users thanked this post: Jabus

Offline Lord Knormoer

• Knight Kevlar: Order of the Alu Pannier
  • Race Dog
  • Wassie ekkie!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 10:38:10 am »

My lady hated the AT but the Akro may have been the culprit
That’s why it’s relative to each pillion. My other half has no issue with my Acro on the 1200 and I have the full system with no cat or db killers. Funny thing is that she generally hates loud noise but loves riding and owned a Harley at some point :thumleft:

Offline Goatman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 09:48:11 am »
My 2c worth is the 990 and Africa twin go better when you have a pillion on, the power is still fully there and enough and the bike just feels good to ride.
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2021, 03:33:50 pm »
The mere fact that you ask the question means the answer is 'yes'.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Van_Biker

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2021, 03:46:44 pm »
Believe it or not….but so much has happened since the 1st ass itch.
From the initial post I went to test riding a ‘20 Vstrom 1050, ‘20 Honda ATAS and ‘19 KTM 1290 SAS……

And…….ended in buying…..

2019 KTM 1290 SAS
2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
2010 Versys 650
2007 KLR 650

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2021, 03:54:05 pm »
Ag nee siesa man. Maar dit is 'n baie mooi bike.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Van_Biker

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 04:27:48 pm »
Ag nee siesa man. Maar dit is 'n baie mooi bike.

2019 KTM 1290 SAS
2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1000
2010 Versys 650
2007 KLR 650